PDA

View Full Version : Old School LS1 Conversion????

jumpmanmb87
08-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Ive recently been contemplating building a 383 for my nova but cant face spending the money on another old school high compression engine. So i saw this article in Hot Rod about using Edelbrocks new LS1 Controller which allows for a regular intake and a carb to be used. It also eliminates the use for all that computer stuff that i really didnt want to go into, i wanna keep it simple. Has anyone used this setup of an LS1 or LS6 with a carb and that controller?? and where the best place to pick up an ls1 either new or used.

Or should i stick to building a 383 or a 406? because its going to be carburated and the LS1 power is harnessed in the fuel injection system.

Im looking someting streetable and something that has impressive power

Thanks if you can help

parsonsj
08-09-2006, 12:33 PM
My engine has been run with a carb and an ignition setup. No EFI. It made the same power with the carb and later with Holley's 950 Commander. The LS1 power comes from its breathing ability ... not its EFI.

jp

jumpmanmb87
08-09-2006, 12:45 PM
OK I figured that after ive been reading more about them. How is it for preformance, do you still get the power outta it and have you had any problems?

parsonsj
08-09-2006, 12:57 PM
Yes, the power is still there. I'm running FAST's XFI these days.

If you haven't been there, have a look at LS1Tech.com's Conversions and Hybrids forum. Lots of good information there.

jp

harshman
08-09-2006, 01:37 PM
The same power is made in the same atmosphere. Change the atmosphere (i.e. drive it long range) and the carb looses without an adjustment.

Damn True
08-09-2006, 01:50 PM
The same power is made in the same atmosphere. Change the atmosphere (i.e. drive it long range) and the carb looses without an adjustment.

Pretty sure you meant:

Change the atmosphere (i.e. different altitude, barometric pressure or temp) and the carb looses without an adjustment.

Distance is not the factor, atmospheric conditions though can have a profound effect. Witness the difference in output between the two correction factors used in engine dyno testing. The one Detroit uses gives an output of 400hp for an LS2, but numerous tests have been done on commercial dynos netting 425-470 hp with the only change being a couple of degrees and less than .5 points of bar-alt difference in correction factors.

LS1NOVA
08-10-2006, 01:46 PM
Dig in an do the EFI, it will be worth it. You could convert it to Gen 3 power then later when all the swap is figured out and running, convert it to EFI.