PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Seats

johnm
11-01-2004, 08:13 PM
Do the aftermarket seats, i.e. corbeau, sparco..... give you extra leg room. I am a tall guy, and I plan on putting a tko-600 in the car this spring, but need the shifting to be comfortable. Secondly, I am kinda large, like 6-3 270 lbs. Do the waist recommendations on these seats really make that big of a difference? John

zbugger
11-01-2004, 08:25 PM
Sometimes the waist reccomendations do make a difference. I sat in a Corrbeau Forza and the waist felt a little wide for me. It says it accomodates a 36-38" waist, and I have a 29-30" waist, so it's to be expected. I'm kinda in the opposite boat from most guys. I'm always sliding around in my seat. As far as the legroom, I can't really tell you that. I haven't really heard the issues on that, but I have heard headroom issues occasionally.

protour_chevelle
11-01-2004, 09:24 PM
Sometimes the waist reccomendations do make a difference. I sat in a Corrbeau Forza and the waist felt a little wide for me. It says it accomodates a 36-38" waist, and I have a 29-30" waist, so it's to be expected. I'm kinda in the opposite boat from most guys. I'm always sliding around in my seat. As far as the legroom, I can't really tell you that. I haven't really heard the issues on that, but I have heard headroom issues occasionally.

Scron! LOL!

-Matt

nancejd
11-01-2004, 09:34 PM
I wouldn't buy a seat I haven't sat in. But, from my experience, also being a big guy, most of the seats just aren't big enough for me. It usually isn't waist room, it's the thigh support that is too tight.

LowBuckX
11-11-2004, 01:24 AM
If you got a little extra @ss like I do the summit sport seats fit very nice and the price is right. I wear a size 50 and the summit seats are perfect. SUM-G1155 https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2004/11/sumg1155-1.jpg

harshman
11-11-2004, 10:11 AM
If you got a little extra @ss like I do the summit sport seats fit very nice and the price is right. I wear a size 50 and the summit seats are perfect. SUM-G1155 https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2004/11/sumg1155-1.jpg

i was looking at those, is it very firm or does it feel somewhat stock - like a 4th gen seat?

LowBuckX
11-11-2004, 11:08 AM
they arent real cushy likw stock. They are a bit firm. Id say they where like my friends 2002 Acura type S seats.

harshman
11-11-2004, 02:19 PM
i am wondering if they are the same as the ones that Jegs offer? PN 555-70240 or you can see it here (http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=249519&prmenbr=361)

CarlC
11-11-2004, 09:45 PM
I agree with James. If at all possible try a few seats on for size. It's not just the waist area that can cause problems. For me, it's the shoulders.

As far as fitment goes, the aftermarket seats can be made to work for you. Many of the aftermarket sliders are low profile, and combined with a low profile seat, will make for more headroom. I gained well over 2". When wearing a helmet, it makes all the difference.

You may have to modify the sliders by welding on a tab to mount to your floorpan. This too is an advantage since you can move the seat back to fit your legs. Craig Boone is a really tall guy and fits into his '69 fine with the seat moved way back.

awr68
11-15-2004, 11:56 PM
The Corbeau Legacy (http://www.motorsportseats.com/corbeau/legacy.html) will fit up to a 38" waist. The wide version is 2" wider and will fit up to a 42" waist. This new model is suppost to be a good fit for the larger guy.....

And we just happen to have a GP going on with Motorsport Seats!!

RobM
11-16-2004, 07:01 PM
i was able to set my seats back an extra 5 inches or so, im 6'2 and i fit more then fine my only concern is if i was wearing a helmet. I used acura integra seats and they are aswome, comfortable and very suportive. i have wide shoulders and a 33-34 inch waist so most of the after market seats dont work for me for one reason or another seems the ones that fit my waist dont fit my shoulders and vice versa. keep in mind a harness will double how suportive the seats are because it will really hold you in.

Novacane
12-14-2004, 06:41 PM
I just bought a set of Ricaro Sportline seats. They are extremely comfortable but feel solid. They have the cut outs for a harness, adjustable back, lumbar and adjustable leg extensions.

will69camaro
12-14-2004, 07:27 PM
How much did those recaro seats run? My friend has a set of recaros in his 88 saleen that i really want a set of (not factory seats) i'll see if i can get pics over winter break.

William

Raptor Pilot
12-14-2004, 07:47 PM
I'm going with the Summit seats I think. I agree that the price is right, but I hope the quality is right oo.

awr68
12-14-2004, 08:21 PM
The Summit seats don't have the tilt option for back seat access but the Jegs seats do....

harshman
12-15-2004, 10:00 AM
i just installed the jegs seats. awsome! great quality. they took a little fab work to fit but all in all they look and feel great!

justanova
12-15-2004, 10:41 AM
got any pics of the install?

Flyboy
12-15-2004, 03:13 PM
i just installed the jegs seats. awsome! great quality. they took a little fab work to fit but all in all they look and feel great!

Andy, drive that red tub around the corner to my place! I wanna check these seats out. These are the ones i'm considering buying for mine when I get back in May.

USAZR1
12-15-2004, 04:14 PM
Good to hear some feedback on the Jegs seats. I've been looking at a pair to replace the bench seat in my El Camino.(more clearance for my D&D T56 shifter,too) Like the leatherette cover,instead of cloth.
Don't need the tilt feature in my Elky. :smoke:

LowBuckX
12-15-2004, 09:50 PM
The Summit seats don't have the tilt option for back seat access but the Jegs seats do....

Not true I have seen Both in person and they are the same as the Jegs seats. Benefits of living Near summit and hour and a half from jegs.. here is the descripton.

These Summit sport seats deliver the look of expensive leather racing seats, without their expensive price tag. These seats have soft, comfortable, simulated leather upholstery, lumbar and shoulder bolsters for added support, cutouts for safety harnesses, and recline and tilt forward mechanisms. Adjustable sliders are included.

USAZR1
12-16-2004, 10:14 AM
Guess I have to be the one to ask the question but what's the catch on these seats? The price of $219 each is hard to believe.

harshman
12-16-2004, 11:26 AM
Guess I have to be the one to ask the question but what's the catch on these seats? The price of $219 each is hard to believe.

mass produced i guess. i had my doubts as well but i was very suprised at the quality. Flyboy - you can walk - can't you? :hah:

Flyboy
12-16-2004, 08:35 PM
mass produced i guess. i had my doubts as well but i was very suprised at the quality. Flyboy - you can walk - can't you? :hah:
But you live almost a whole mile from me! :sleeping: :naughty:

yody
12-16-2004, 10:05 PM
I saw the summit seats at a car show, the fake leather looked.....well, really fake. I wasnt' really digging the material. otherwise they look comfortable.

69zz3
12-31-2004, 02:15 PM
I found a set of manual seats from a 97 Firebird to install in my 69 Camaro and they are very comfortable. The front holes lined up perfect. I had to cut off the feet for the rear mounts and weld on a 1" x 2" piece of flat metal and drill new holes. It worked out great and they fit perfect. I found out how to modify them from a post on camaros.net. I just had them recovered and they look awesome.

awr68
01-01-2005, 09:24 PM
These Summit sport seats deliver the look of expensive leather racing seats, without their expensive price tag. These seats have soft, comfortable, simulated leather upholstery, lumbar and shoulder bolsters for added support, cutouts for safety harnesses, and recline and tilt forward mechanisms. Adjustable sliders are included.

That's what I thought too...but when I was on the phone with the intent to buy, I asked the sales rep to verify that the Summit seat not just tilted with the roll of the dial but had a tilt lever as well...he actually went and looked at a seat in there show room and came back with "no, they don't have a lever for back seat access...just the tilt/forward adjustment roll knob"....so I didn't buy them. As you can tell I haven't seen either in person but just going on what their employee told me...on the other hand you have seen them and most deffinatly have better info...

Just trying to help others truely understand what they are buying so they aren't disapointed...just remember you can clearly see the tilt lever in the Jegs pics and not in the Summit ones....

USAZR1
02-05-2005, 09:39 PM
Just a request for follow-up info but has anyone tried the Jegs/Summit seats on a roadtrip,yet? They sure sound interesting and the price is definitely right.

1976SR71
02-16-2005, 07:18 PM
Check out the Jeg's seats again..
They now offer colors....And tilt forward levers
Summit also has black with the levers...

USAZR1
02-27-2005, 03:34 PM
If you got a little extra @ss like I do the summit sport seats fit very nice and the price is right. I wear a size 50 and the summit seats are perfect. SUM-G1155 [IMG]http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/sum-g1155.jpg
Shawn,how tall are you and what do you weigh? I think I'm ready to order a pair of these or the SUM-G1159 seats. FWIW,I'm 5'9" & 225lbs.

Anyone have photos of these seats installed,yet?

1976SR71
02-27-2005, 05:30 PM
Hey Clint,
I orderd a pair from Jegs and they fit good
6'2" 240lbs. ...Don't have mine mounted yet...
They are going to be recovered first...
P.S. look on page 4 under new seats to see a pair in a car

Maverick Man
02-28-2005, 04:14 PM
One thing I noticed in this post that wasn’t brought up was issues about safety on these aftermarket seats. Just remember that most of these low priced after market seats are not even close to FIA standards nor have double locking mechanisms and most importantly for the best safety the seat should be made out of a steel tubular frame construction.

Now I don’t mean to sound like I know it all but only reason why I bring this up is because many of these aftermarket seats now days are made in third world countries and some even in the USA and have no regard for safety issues. I actually use to have a set of seats that were very comfortable until one day someone showed me what happened in a very bad car accident with cheap seats. It made me wonder what the seat I had were made out of. Sure enough they were plastic back and the frame you would bend with your own hands. Uh yeah.. NO!

Personally I would only go with the top brand of seats like recaro, sparco cobra or momo. Yes some of these other seats look really nice and even have a great price and even can be more comfortable then a stock seat but is the price worth your life? I think sometimes a stock seat with good safety belts can be safer then some of the off brand seats.

As far as the original question I think that most of these seats are comfortable but like someone suggested I’d sit in them before you buy them If your looking for comfort seats with injected molded memory foam is seats can make all the difference in the world in your comfort. Also I feel you can make the nice seat feel comfortable by the way you mount it. that can make all the difference in the world. So measure correctly and think it over before you mount them. Weight is another issue. Some of these seats even weight more then the stock seat which doesn’t make much sense to me.

Personally I run cobras in my cars but I think any recaros are nice too. momos look good but personally I think they are uncomfortable and have no lumbar support. Other seats like the summit ones and scat seats weight a bit too much for me compared to my stock seats. I guess if your dumping a bench seat for one of these it would weight less.

Anyways just thought I’d stick my 2 cents in cuz I hate to see anyone lose their life over being cool or just not thinking about safey. Do your research know what they are made out of and where they are made.

Good luck on whatever you use!

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/02/InteriorBuleCar-1.jpg

USAZR1
03-01-2005, 11:39 AM
One thing I noticed in this post that wasn’t brought up was issues about safety on these aftermarket seats. Just remember that most of these low priced after market seats are not even close to FIA standards nor have double locking mechanisms and most importantly for the best safety the seat should be made out of a steel tubular frame construction.
Now I don’t mean to sound like I know it all but only reason why I bring this up is because many of these aftermarket seats now days are made in third world countries and some even in the USA and have no regard for safety issues. I actually use to have a set of seats that were very comfortable until one day someone showed me what happened in a very bad car accident with cheap seats. It made me wonder what the seat I had were made out of. Sure enough they were plastic back and the frame you would bend with your own hands. Uh yeah.. NO!
Personally I would only go with the top brand of seats like recaro, sparco cobra or momo. Yes some of these other seats look really nice and even have a great price and even can be more comfortable then a stock seat but is the price worth your life? I think sometimes a stock seat with good safety belts can be safer then some of the off brand seats.
As far as the original question I think that most of these seats are comfortable but like someone suggested I’d sit in them before you buy them If your looking for comfort seats with injected molded memory foam is seats can make all the difference in the world in your comfort. Also I feel you can make the nice seat feel comfortable by the way you mount it. that can make all the difference in the world. So measure correctly and think it over before you mount them. Weight is another issue. Some of these seats even weight more then the stock seat which doesn’t make much sense to me.
Personally I run cobras in my cars but I think any recaros are nice too. momos look good but personally I think they are uncomfortable and have no lumbar support. Other seats like the summit ones and scat seats weight a bit too much for me compared to my stock seats. I guess if your dumping a bench seat for one of these it would weight less.
Anyways just thought I’d stick my 2 cents in cuz I hate to see anyone lose their life over being cool or just not thinking about safey. Do your research know what they are made out of and where they are made.
Good luck on whatever you use!

Boy,you sure know how to put a pin in the ol' balloon. :lol: How would one go about finding out if the Summit/Jeg seats meet safety regs? How much do they weigh? How much do your stock seats weigh?
I'm planning to replace my Elky's bench seat with some better looking buckets. Don't have $2K to spend on Recaros,etc.

1976SR71
03-01-2005, 04:06 PM
I have a pair of the jegs seats...
They are made alot better than most of those cheapo's...They weigh about 45lbs. pretty heavy...about 10lbs more than a 2nd gen factory seat.
They have dual locking mech. on the tilt forward, and a welded tubular steel inner frame.
I will be having them recoverd to match my custom interior, so I can take some pics of the frame work if interested....
I purchased a pair of APC's first ..But did not like the fact that they did not have a tilt forward release so I bought these....I think they are ALOT better quality...

Maverick Man
03-01-2005, 04:21 PM
Boy,you sure know how to put a pin in the ol' balloon. :lol: How would one go about finding out if the Summit/Jeg seats meet safety regs? How much do they weigh? How much do your stock seats weigh?
I'm planning to replace my Elky's bench seat with some better looking buckets. Don't have $2K to spend on Recaros,etc.

haa haaa.. i just wouldn't want someone to get killed over something like that.

but i guess the only way to tell about the safety and weight on those seats your asking about is to ask jegs.. if they don't know thats kinda scary if you ask me.... someone else is making for them for sure.

the seats currently in my car weight 29lbs. most OEM seats w/o power weight anywhere between 47 and 50 lbs if they are power heck they can weight as much as 60. i would say your bench weight way more then any pair of after market seats so i'd say your saving weight no matter what!

good luck!

USAZR1
03-01-2005, 07:25 PM
I have a pair of the jegs seats...
They are made alot better than most of those cheapo's...They weigh about 45lbs. pretty heavy...about 10lbs more than a 2nd gen factory seat.
They have dual locking mech. on the tilt forward, and a welded tubular steel inner frame.
I will be having them recoverd to match my custom interior, so I can take some pics of the frame work if interested....
I purchased a pair of APC's first ..But did not like the fact that they did not have a tilt forward release so I bought these....I think they are ALOT better quality...

Thanks for the input on your seats,Jeff. Looks like I'm going to order a pair for my 69 Elky. I found a new place that does nice racecar chassis work here in town and my car is going over there this weekend for an estimate on installing a six-point rollbar. Once I get the seats,I'll take the car back.

steemin
03-01-2005, 08:34 PM
Maverick Man,
Very good point in regards to the safety aspect of a seat purchase.
You certainly opened my eyes.
I want to share a safety concern (no flame intended) I noticed looking at a pic of your car in your post.
You appear to have a 4 point harness in a car without a roll cage or roll bar.. I have seen some horrific results of accidents whereas a driver is strapped in an upright position (in a 4/5 point harness)
without a roll cage in a rollover accident..
Just some food for thought.
Scott

dennis68
03-01-2005, 09:19 PM
To my knowledge there are no real seat building safety standards. In almost all cases the seat s are not designed to be part of the overall safety of the car, they merely hold you in place and provide some level of support for maneuvering. Your belts should (better) be bolted to the cage or reinforced floor/frame. You really shouldn't run full harnesses without at least a bar for roll over protection for the reasons Scott pointed out.

Few examples of seat that have safety standard are the newer trucks with ex-cabs that include integrated seat belts and some convertibles.

In fact, most off-road and drag race seat are very cheaply built plastic forms.

1976SR71
03-02-2005, 12:00 PM
Glad I could help.
I think that solid colors will look the best.
I ordred black with gray inserts...
The center vinyl seems to be a bit cheezy on these.
The black vinyl used on the sides and back looks pretty good.

Maverick Man
03-02-2005, 02:10 PM
Maverick Man,
Very good point in regards to the safety aspect of a seat purchase.
You certainly opened my eyes. I want to share a safety concern (no flame intended) I noticed looking at a pic of your car in your post. You appear to have a 4 point harness in a car without a roll cage or roll bar.. I have seen some horrific results of accidents whereas a driver is strapped in an upright position (in a 4/5 point harness) without a roll cage in a rollover accident.. Just some food for thought.
Scott

no flame taken... heck that’s what these forms are for. But you are correct my car should have a rollbar in fact you could say that the car could use an air bag and abs brakes and many other safety items I would love. You’ll probably call me stupid because I run my other high 11 sec car at the track with out a bar either. Stupid.. yes. Does the tech pass me? Yes? Why? Who knows? Will I put a roll bar in it? Yes… when I get the time and money... I think the key word here is money. In fact I already bought new wrap around shoulder harness for a bar and just ordered a new helmet cuz my other one expired…. first things first. But I agree with your statement about on mounting to a bar. In fact to back your own statement up… if you look at the rules of some sanction bodies put out, you are correct about mounting your belts to the cage or bar. No argument there! You wanna buy me one?

On the other hand my car only had stock lap belt. I’m sure a correctly mounted harness (as shown in this pdf file form sparco) http://www.sparcousa.com/resourceFiles/16.pdf
Mounted to the floor is better then a 35 year old stock lap belt… agreed? Not to mention that some sanctioning bodies like NASA (depending on class) will let you run with a harness mounted to the floor without a cage or bar. I think there was another post about that on this form some where.

To my knowledge there are no real seat building safety standards. In almost all cases the seat s are not designed to be part of the overall safety of the car, they merely hold you in place and provide some level of support for maneuvering. Your belts should (better) be bolted to the cage or reinforced floor/frame. You really shouldn't run full harnesses without at least a bar for roll over protection for the reasons Scott pointed out.

Few examples of seat that have safety standard are the newer trucks with ex-cabs that include integrated seat belts and some convertibles.

In fact, most off-road and drag race seat are very cheaply built plastic forms.

Hum? So just in case anyone here is interested... there are safety standards for seats. It just is who you accept these standards from. For the USA companies like Sparco they manufacture to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS), section 208. This is the standard that all automotive seats are tested too. This also doesn’t mean that FIA shouldn’t apply to any standards as well.

So I think that if these standards are in place I don’t think that seats are merely only to hold you in place and provide some level of support for maneuvering only. And please correct me if I’m wrong, you said “seats are NOT designed to be part of the overall safety of the car, they merely hold you in place and provide some level of support for maneuvering.” I don’t know… yes they provide support, no doubt, heck anything is better then an OME seat made in the 60’s or 70’s! But your really gonna need to convince me on that the seat is NOT designed to be part of the over all safety of the car… I’m all ears…. cuz I would disagree. I believe the seat along with the belts it IS part of the safety of the car. I mean look at most road racing motorsports.. look what kind of seats are required. I mean one prime example is NASCAR. If seats weren’t an issue or overall safety of the car, do you think the seats would look the way they do? I don’t think NASCAR would mandate such seat rules if the seat was not part of the “overall” safety of the car. Maybe you can elaborate on what the “overall safety is?” I mean the seat IS in the car thus being part of the car making it an overall safety issue? Do you mean that its more of a safety for the person not the car itself? Maybe I’m misunderstanding you? :confused:

You are also correct about some of these other drag seats made out of plastic. Your right, however what about side impacts on an car in normal conditions? I mean most people here also drive there car on the street right? WRC is a prime example of how cars get damaged from all sides, hell trees are even coming into cars. Personally I wouldn’t want to be in a plastic seat would you?

Also I might add that I spoke with a representative from Sparco just to make sure I’m not crazy or opening my big mouth on here without knowing what the heck I’m talking about. There is in fact a safety standard for Sparco seats (now other seats I don’t know that’s where my original post was about). This is what he said. “Sparco seats are constructed to 3 globally recognized safety standards. The three standards we manufacture to are as followed:

For the USA we manufacture to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS), section 208. As I said before this is the standard that all automotive seats are tested too.

In Europe they use two standards. ECE 17, and TUV.”

So my question to anyone who buys an aftermarket seat…. is your seat manufactured to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards?

Please don’t take this as an attack on you :fingersx: I’m just trying to see your point. But your are right, my car should have a roll bar… in time.. hopefully not too late… unless you wanna buy one for me :rotfl:

dennis68
03-02-2005, 10:44 PM
I'm sure there are standards like anything else and I'm willing to put money up that passing them is very easy, I work in the industry and see everyday what is considered "passed federal standards". Aftermarket manufacturers love to advertise how they passed this test and that test. After a couple decades of building cars I have found it best to do my own real world testing than to rely on claims made by those trying to sell the parts.

An integrated part of vehicle safety may have been a poor choice of words. Sure the seat has to keep you positioned so the rest of the safety devices can work properly, however there are no specific test done to determine crush strength, seat back shear, or recliner holding abilities (believe me I change A LOT of these). You could just as easily set your belts to hold you in place sitting on the floor and in a properly design cage with good 5 points you would be fine albeit a bit bruised on your hind quarters after an accident.

The NASCRAP style seats are a result of too many head/neck injuries; combined with the HANS device (I can’t see, I can’t see) they limit head movement in a collision.

Yes, I suppose the seat is a part of the overall safety of the vehicle but only in the capacity that it needs to keep you from moving rearward so the belts can do their job. A more primary function of the seat is to provide for lateral stability of your body rather than rely on the belts so you can concentrate on driving. I say any seat that keeps me positioned properly is a good seat; I don’t need the gov’t to do any half ass tests to tell me whether or no it works.

Maverick Man
03-03-2005, 02:36 PM
I'm sure there are standards like anything else and I'm willing to put money up that passing them is very easy, I work in the industry and see everyday what is considered "passed federal standards".
How much cash you got? cuz i could sure use some to put a roll bar in. I know you said you work in the industry and see everyday what is considered "passed federal standards". Then you would know that the standard is not easy, if anything it’s a pain in the ass. All vehicles pass this standard during crash testing. That is like saying the FAA, and the FDA, have very easy standards for passing their tests. Now that doesn’t mean they miss stuff but wouldn’t you say that better then no testing at all? Testing actually very complex, and protective of the consumers. These are government run agencies with the public's safety in mind, and their only priority. Not to meantion my father worked for a company that tested products to pass automotive parts federal or state standards or regulations... easier said then done when your not doing it. A good example are crash test. If you have ever seen one alot goes into it!

Aftermarket manufacturers love to advertise how they passed this test and that test.
You say “aftermarket manufacturers love to advertise how they passed this test and that test.” Your right! Sure aftermarket manufacturers love to advertise how they passed this test and that test. If you had a company that wanted to show why your seat is better then some knock off made in china and separate yourself from something that is not even close to your product. I’m sure you would promote that your seat meets certain requirements too.

After a couple decades of building cars I have found it best to do my own real world testing than to rely on claims made by those trying to sell the parts.
Agreed! cams, tire, headers, sparkplugs, intakes, tires, carbs, etc. By all means for sure why wouldn’t you? However personally I wouldn’t want to test out a seat, seat belt, roll bar, helmet or any safety equipment made in china, some third world country or even the USA on my own even if I was building cars for 20 years. In fact I don’t know any other way a normal person would be able to test such an item like seats or a belt besides crashing their car? The only way you could perform a "real world test", to the safety of any seats would be to recreate a 24g impact. If anyone would like to crash his car into a wall at over 160mph be my guest. Otherwise there is no other form of "real world testing" that would even begin to come close to relevant. And if that’s the way something needs to be tested I’m sure wouldn’t want to be in one to test it. Is there something I’m missing here?

An integrated part of vehicle safety may have been a poor choice of words. Sure the seat has to keep you positioned so the rest of the safety devices can work properly, however there are no specific test done to determine crush strength, seat back shear, or recliner holding abilities (believe me I change A LOT of these).
"Crush strength" as you put it is not an important factor on a seat. Maybe I wasn’t clear but I want to be clear on why I stated what the construction of the seat is made out of. Seats are not made to absorb any type of "crush" as you call it. Good seats are made to absorb impact inertia and direct it way from your body. Good seats don’t not crush, nor do they collapse. "seat back shear" I have no idea what that is? What does that mean? In regards to recliner holding abilities. Good seat recliners are tested, on a sled, and must withstand a minimum of a 24g impact. The human body cannot take more then 16g's, and a good seat would far exceed safety standards. If you ask any good seat maufacture they would all tell you the same thing.

The NASCRAP style seats are a result of too many head/neck injuries; combined with the HANS device (I can’t see, I can’t see) they limit head movement in a collision.
Personally I think HANS is absolute a great protective piece of equipment, like a helmet or roll bar. Drivers from Formula 1, WRC, and NASCAR all use the device and many and endorse it! One pirme example of someone who didn't like it becuase he felt it limited head movement was Earnhardt Sr. But maybe that’s why he’s dead.. but thats a whole other topic I don't want to get into. I think if you ever used a HANS device maybe you would have a different opinion.

Yes, I suppose the seat is a part of the overall safety of the vehicle but only in the capacity that it needs to keep you from moving rearward so the belts can do their job. A more primary function of the seat is to provide for lateral stability of your body rather than rely on the belts so you can concentrate on driving. I say any seat that keeps me positioned properly is a good seat; I don’t need the gov’t to do any half ass tests to tell me whether or no it works.
I don't know about that the primary function is to provided lateral stability? I would that a good seats primary function are made to absorb impact inertia. If you where in a collision with only a cage, sitting on the floor, with belts. All impact inertia would be transferred directly into your body causing huge internal organ damage. Good seats are NOT just to hold you in place while driving. Although they do support you, and are made that way, the number on purpose is to protect. All of our composite seats flex, and move, and where engineered at certain tolerances, all to direct inertia away from your body.

I say any seat that keeps me positioned properly is a good seat; I don't need the gov't to do any half ass tests to tell me whether or no it works..
You say you “don’t need the gov’t to do any half ass tests to tell me whether or no it works.” If you don’t care what the government says then that’s your choice and that’s fine. I mean trying to use any drug to treat any of your future sickness would be ok? I guess? And I guess the FDA approval on any medications that you might need in the future wouldn’t matter. For me I wouldn’t take anything non-FDA approved.
Also if you don’t like government standards / crap the FIA is not a government agency and they do test seats its called Closed Car Occupant Safety.. I would rather buy something that is tested half ass then not tested at all.

But back to my point on poorly built seats.

You could just as easily set your belts to hold you in place sitting on the floor and in a properly design cage with good 5 points you would be fine albeit a bit bruised on your hind quarters after an accident.
Why not sit on a milk carton crate with a full cage and belts? Seems pointless to me. Again good seats are made to absorb impact inertia. If you where in a collision with only a cage, sitting on the floor, with belts. All impact inertia would be transferred directly into your body causing huge internal organ damage. Well made seats are NOT just to hold you in place while driving. Although they do support you, and they make them that way, the number one purpose of a good seat manufacture is to protect the driver! All good composite seats flex, and move, and where engineered at certain tolerances, all to direct inertia away from your body.

I think another good thing to think about is post that USAZRI posted

That’s a retail price of $219 bucks. Hum? Lets think about that? Wholesale is about 50% of that and manufacturing is about 50% of that. Hum a $50 dollar seat and that’s not even including the shipping that’s part of that? What is that seat really worth? Gee I wonder what kinda of safety measures went into that seat, made by that overworked person in china making 50 cents a day? Like the saying goes don’t judge a book by its cover. Just because it looks good don’t mean its good. Now I’m not saying to spend a 1k or even $500 bucks on a seats, but my original point is safety, as you stated with safety and having a roll bar. Point is… looking cool and saving money is not worth more then spending a bit more and being safe if you ask me. You could also say why get rid of a nice OEM seat made in the USA and replace it with something made in china weights more?

Again something I think even one should thing about b4 buying an aftermarket seat.

harshman
03-03-2005, 02:47 PM
i like my seats. got 'em from jegs - they are comfy.

Steve1968LS2
03-03-2005, 03:51 PM
We got a set of the Summit seats in for Johnny's G28 project.. they look pretty good for the money.. and they sure as hell were cheaper than my $2000 worth of Recaros.. are my Recaros 5 times better? I don't know but I do know they won't snap in half or tear off the rails in a bad accident.

But Maveric is right.. All OEM and most higher end seats have to pass rigourous testing to make sure they can hold up to a bad collision. This testing is expensive and is reflected in the price of an "expensive" seat.. hey somebody has to pay. I seriously doubt that a inexpensive seat from Jegs, Summit or APC has had this same testing. That does not mean that the seat will fail in a bad accident but it does mean that you don't KNOW if it will fail or not.. So when you pay more for seats you are buying more "peace of mind". Well your buying safety and features/styling.. and better materials..

It's sort of a hard call without data.. the summit/jegs seats sure do look nice and I am sure they would ok in a minor accident but as for the rest...

And yes.. the seat is as important as safety belts in working to keep you alive in an accident.. the belt would be meaningless if the seat tore away from it's frame in a collision.

Cavea't Emptor I guess :)

Rick Dorion
03-03-2005, 04:47 PM
Steve, how about a destructive seat evaluation for a future issue?

Steve1968LS2
03-03-2005, 04:57 PM
Steve, how about a destructive seat evaluation for a future issue?

No thanks.. since I'm the FNG I would get the crash-test-dummy duty.. :drive2:

Although I will touch on this when I do my article on safety (an often overlooked component)..

I do have to be a bit careful and most of all fair to those that advertise..

JMarsa
03-03-2005, 05:50 PM
Asked if there was any certification on those seats. After checking the rep said they had "no rating".

--JMarsa

dennis68
03-03-2005, 07:36 PM
Well this is one of those threads that aren’t really going to change any minds so it's going nowhere. I could dig for hours about the hundreds of thousands of "rigorous government tested items" that have been recalled by a more stringent authority (sometimes even by themselves) be it food, drugs or cars/parts. I just don't care enough to prove a point. I’ll stick with the lower price seats thanks.

Just a point about how pricing affects safety...those NASCRAP seats you spoke of earlier that are so important toward the safety of the car; the higher end Kirkley (a huge name in roundy-round seats) are only 299/ea. Should they be avoided because they are inexpensive compared to Recaro, Sparco or whatever? Just a question.

Last point, are you quite sure the government requirement for recliners is 24g's :eek: :eek: , that’s huge (to put that in perspective, a Top Fuel car launches at 8g and causes momentary black out)? The reason I ask is that I have broken recliners in fairly new cars by pressing against the floor and leaning back in the seats (don't ask). I also have a pretty fat customer that breaks his recliner on his 2001 Intrepid about 2X a year.

USAZR1
03-03-2005, 08:54 PM
Since we seem to have Maverick all stirred up,I just have to ask. "Are the seats in your car approved by all the various governmental agencies?" Inquiring minds want to know. However,I'll buy you a rollbar if you'll buy me a nice pair of seats. Deal? j/k :)

Maverick Man
03-03-2005, 10:11 PM
Well this is one of those threads that aren’t really going to change any minds so it's going nowhere. I could dig for hours about the hundreds of thousands of "rigorous government tested items" that have been recalled by a more stringent authority (sometimes even by themselves) be it food, drugs or cars/parts. I just don't care enough to prove a point. I’ll stick with the lower price seats thanks.

Agreed you don’t care, i'm not gonna argue there. End of story. I won’t bring it up again. However as you noticed people at least that have read this thread are bit more informed, not to meantion that minds have changed (maybe not yours) becuase its seems already people have either called or are looking into what the facts are. I’m just trying to state a fact rather then an opinion.

Just a point about how pricing affects safety...those NASCRAP seats you spoke of earlier that are so important toward the safety of the car; the higher end Kirkley (a huge name in roundy-round seats) are only 299/ea. Should they be avoided because they are inexpensive compared to Recaro, Sparco or whatever? Just a question.

The point was safety not price. And the comparison was between a tested seat vs. a non-tested seat. It just happens to be that seats mentioned in this post had a low price… hense the word cheap. Besides I don’t see anything wrong with a Krikey seat besides the fact that I don’t think you want to be stuck in traffic in one.

Last point, are you quite sure the government requirement for recliners is 24g's :eek: :eek: , that’s huge (to put that in perspective, a Top Fuel car launches at 8g and causes momentary black out)? The reason I ask is that I have broken recliners in fairly new cars by pressing against the floor and leaning back in the seats (don't ask). I also have a pretty fat customer that breaks his recliner on his 2001 Intrepid about 2X a year.

Oh yes I’m quite sure. :eek: I find out information first before I open my big mouth. And a big mouth it is. This information came right from two after market seat manufactures that have to meet these requirements. If you don’t believe me call sparco, momo, recaro and even the government or FIA itsself and ask for yourself. But then again like you said you don't care, so i guess it wouldn't mean anything to you? However I don’t know how it can get any more sure then that.

Infact its right here in black and white for cobra seats

http://www.subesports.com/products/?cartID=2005030321394024.205.179.180&cat=Seating

hope that answers any doubts.

Since we seem to have Maverick all stirred up,I just have to ask. "Are the seats in your car approved by all the various governmental agencies?" Inquiring minds want to know. However,I'll buy you a rollbar if you'll buy me a nice pair of seats. Deal? j/k :)

Dennis,I think I'll go with you on this one.

That’s the Maverick is "roulded up!" :box2: But yep my seats are FIA.. see for you’re yourself. http://www.subesports.com/products/?cartID=2005030321394024.205.179.180&cat=Seating

please note I didn’t say that a seat had to pass ALL various agencies to be a good seat. I think FIA does a fine job of that. not to mention the SFI on the belts.

Now lets talk about if the car will pass NHRA tech… uh oh? probably not.

So do I get to choose the type of roll bar I put in my car if I buy you seats? And they don’t need to meet FIA standards correct. if so you got a deal! j/k :lmao:

USAZR1
03-03-2005, 10:31 PM
Uhhh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Steve1968LS2
03-04-2005, 08:51 AM
I like waffles.. with syurp... :yum:

dennis68
03-04-2005, 09:57 AM
French toast please....lots of butter

F70t/a
03-04-2005, 12:05 PM
I had kirkey drag seats in a 79 toyota wagon and I loved the seats.

1976SR71
03-04-2005, 03:45 PM
I would like to see how well those fancy expesive seats with no roll bar...
Compare to a pair of less expensive ones with a roll bar. (That was bought with the money saved)
In a roll over crash ????

Maverick Man
03-04-2005, 07:53 PM
I would like to see how well those fancy expesive seats with no roll bar...
Compare to a pair of less expensive ones with a roll bar. (That was bought with the money saved)
In a roll over crash ????

maybe steve can test that! ;)

i noticed in your 76 you don't have a roll bar in your car either for proabally the same reason i don't at this time as well. i hope you can understand that. (btw nice to see something differant.. your car that is :icon996: ) anyways if you do have one in some other car i'm sure you car didn't have one at one point in time or another. a car is never finshed wouldn't you say?

btw looks like you own sparco seats... might i ask the reason why you got them instead of another choice?

then again you brought up a good point.. how about this? i'd like to see how non-FIA seat vs a one that isn't FIA in a front end collision into a wall at over 100mph while another car side impacts it. steve you up to the test?

as for the butter on the pancakes.... :barf: i would suggest they might as well taste better plain especially when cats got your tounge. :hah: its funny when facts are so evedent. :doh: but whatever i'm wrong, your right. :hail: :lmao:

i have really come to the conclusion about suggesting something in the welfare of others... :banghead: only suggestion about a fact thats it people coundn't care less... but you know, i don't care now. get whatever makes you happy dude! :woot:

MangeMD
03-04-2005, 08:30 PM
I like cheese.

Nicks67GTO
03-05-2005, 10:57 AM
Id like to see anyone who has personally survived a crash into a wall going 100 MPH,. and getting the crap end of the T bone at the same time!!!! in a sparco seat OR otherwise....Im not disagreeing with you at all. Im sure the more expensive seats are much better quality/ and much more rigid, but damn man 100 MPH. AND a T bone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If anything holds up to that id bow down....

Maverick Man
03-05-2005, 12:56 PM
Id like to see anyone who has personally survived a crash into a wall going 100 MPH,. and getting the crap end of the T bone at the same time!!!! in a sparco seat OR otherwise....Im not disagreeing with you at all. Im sure the more expensive seats are much better quality/ and much more rigid, but damn man 100 MPH. AND a T bone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If anything holds up to that id bow down....

NASCAR? but for the avg joe blow... your right good point! but then again how many of the avg person actually rolls over a car? never the less any of you guys? :dunno:

but gald at least someone here see the point of a better bulid seat.

bottom line is both are safety items both will help you out in any which way.. again back to my orginal point. better safe then sorry. man, now i feel like bringing up safety on baby safety seats now. please someone get me started! :rolleyes5 unbuttered pancakes anyone?

MickyT
03-05-2005, 07:14 PM
I think there are lots of great seats in late model cars that work well without any safety concerns. I bought a set of as new 2004 Honda Accord black leather front buckets that are heated and powered for $550.00 Canadian or about $420 US. Looking around I see lots of options for seats in late model cars that would look great in a PT. Just a thought

USAZR1
03-06-2005, 04:50 PM
There are a lot of great seats out there to be had. Personally,I really like the C4 Corvette Sport seats like the ones that came in both my ZR-1's. But,it's a PIA to add harness slots and most oem seats are kinda heavy,too.

dennis68
03-06-2005, 08:20 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7959325748&category=33701 how about these Clint? I like the Summit/Jegs but I prefer cloth to leather (gets too hot).

USAZR1
03-07-2005, 11:41 AM
I looked over the eBay seats and those clowns want $160 freight to ship them. I don't think so. The seats are also cloth and I want something in vinyl or naugahyde like the Jegs or Summit seats.

It's looking like I'm going to go ahead and have my local shop install a six point bar in my car next week with the bench seat. That's probably backwards thinking but if the rollbar will fit around my bench seat,I shouldn't have any problems adding some buckets later. Still hoping to find an upholsterer that can sculpture up a custom bench out of mine.

I appreciate the help though,Dennis.

dennis68
03-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Yeah I saw the outrageous shipping charges but the seats are only 100/pr with sliders which works out to 130/per seat with shipping. I want the cloth material so I'll probably go with something like those.

justanova
03-08-2005, 07:56 PM
Still hoping to find an upholsterer that can sculpture up a custom bench out of mine.

I don't know if this is what you are looking for but try http://www.teasdesign.com/product/

USAZR1
03-09-2005, 02:39 PM
I don't know if this is what you are looking for but try http://www.teasdesign.com/product/

Teas Design makes a bench seat I want but the cost is over $1700 for it in leather. $900+ in tweed. Too rich for my blood. If I could,I'd like to keep my present bench seat and have a good shop mold the foam to look similar to a Teas seat.

HOT OHC
03-09-2005, 10:23 PM
Has anyone seen these sold on ebay? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33701&item=7959241965&rd=1

USAZR1
03-10-2005, 08:45 AM
Hunsaker seats look pretty good for what they're asking for a pair. Not sure if they are cloth or vinyl but they look like cloth. A pair of them would probably work fine for you younger,thinner guys. However,I'm 51 years old,am 5'9"and 225lbs,and wear 38 waist jeans. As mentioned in an earlier post in this thread about the Summit/Jegs seats,I know my big butt will fit those seats. Another thing,any seat I install has got to be comfortable on the open road. I had a pair of Corbeau Forza II's in my 90 ZR-1 for awhile and those were painful on anything but a racetrack.

Todds69
03-10-2005, 02:16 PM
Safety, Safety, Safety.....The best seat in the world isn't going to save your @$$ if you dont have it mounted properly and with the correct hardware. I figured this is a no brainer but some people overlook the obvious....myself included...no ones perfect.

Hot Rod
09-21-2005, 06:31 PM
Here's a few bench seats

http://www.kristkustoms.com/StreamLineBucket.html

http://www.roddoors.com/rodseats.html

http://www.ldctx.com/streetrod/seatsbooks.asp

You know http://www.teasdesign.com/product/

http://www.glideeng.com/

http://www.wiseguys-seats.com/products1.htm

jrz 69
11-27-2005, 05:38 PM
I'm gonna be installing these seats in my 69 camaro. It does seem like i will have to fab some brakets. how did you install them?

Jim Rockford
06-12-2007, 04:25 PM
NASCAR? but for the avg joe blow... your right good point! but then again how many of the avg person actually rolls over a car? never the less any of you guys? :dunno:

LOL guess you have never seen a richmond ,Va. traffic report ,you have to roll your car on a clear sunny day with no traffic around you in the middle of a 6 lane highway ,to get a license here ..lol its mandatory .:usa: Ohh and speaking and reading english is optional.

ertoys
07-24-2007, 09:33 AM
Will the Summit or Jegs seats interfere with my factory 67 Camaro console?