PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooler/Remote Filter?

Bandit
08-05-2006, 03:18 AM
As I have mentioned in previous posts, I have swapped my TH350 tranny for a TKO 600. Now I have an interesting and annoying problem. I realized that I will not be able to change my oil filter without unbolting and dropping the driver's side exhaust header--there is no room to slip it in between the header tubes and the bellhousing. There is no room to drop it in from above either. (BTW, I am running 1 5/8" primary headers and a Lakewood steel bell.)

I figure I can: remove the header every time I change my oil (PITA), cut the heck out of the bellhousing (which will render it no longer SFI-approved), or remote locate the oil filter.

I like the idea of remote locating the filter, but I want to know a couple things:
1. Will the driver's side front be a good location for the filter (where the battery used to be before I put it in the trunk)?
2. Would my old auto trans cooler (aluminum) make a good oil cooler? I figure I can just tap into it since it is already attached to my radiator?
3. Am I overlooking anything?

Paul

CarlC
08-05-2006, 07:24 AM
1) Yes
2) No, the fittings are the wrong size and the cooler too small.
3) Search the archives. There is some good info in there. There is also some information on my website.

Charley Lillard
08-05-2006, 08:48 AM
Usually that problem can be solved by using a shorter filter. How long is the filter you are using ?

Bandit
08-06-2006, 02:12 AM
That doesn't matter...the filter diameter is like 3" and I only have like 2 1/2" clearance any which way up in there. Headers are cool, but they suck sometimes.

Paul

myclone
08-06-2006, 02:21 PM
I use a remote filter mount and block adaptor from these guys http://www.livermoreperformance.com/canton_oil_pans.html#Canton_adapters

Quality was top notch.

gmachinz
08-13-2006, 07:01 PM
This may not apply to you if you are using the stock width radiator but if you can fit a 33" inch wide radiator in your bay, we like using the HD truck optioned aluminum radiators. We stock them because I like using them in our G-body builds. You end up with a tranny cooler and the optional oil cooler built-in as well.....combine that with a Mark VIII fan and you can't beat it! If you're trying to stuff the biggest radiator you can, this might be an option for you-I dunno. We run a line (-10AN) from a sandwich adapter from the block to a remote filter, then into the cooler, then out the cooler and back to the sandwich adpater. -Jabin

vintageracer
08-14-2006, 05:49 AM
Check out the "water to oil" oil cooler used in Crown Victoria police cars. Mounts horizontally at the bottom of the radiator. Very easy to plump into your cooling system and oil lines. Easy to add when you add the remote oil filter. These coolers are cheap in the JY and work well if cost and room is a concern.