PDA

View Full Version : jackstand safty question

Dodgenut64
08-04-2006, 08:12 PM
ok i feel silly asking these questions. i bought some jackstands a few months back. ive used them, but only with them all the way down. ive never used jackstands before this. my first question is on safety. after pulling the neck of the jackstand up they lock into place, but i realized that with a gentle lift of the release lever the neck slips all the way down. will they do this with the wieght of the car on them? my fear is that while im under the car one of my kids, or worse (my wifes cat) will gently tap that lever and the jackstand will come crashing down. is there a way to lock them at the desired height? sorry, in the past all the work i helped my dad with on cars was done with jacks,bricks, and wood blocks....yikes.
now for my cars safety. is it ok to leave a car on jackstands for long lengths of time? my car is a convertible. i want to install some front suspension items this fall, but i want to clean the undercarriage of my car first. but even after the suspension additions i wont be able to sit the car back down on its wheels, because it will be next spring when i can get tires/wheel/ and brakes for it. would it just be better to wait till i get the tires/wheels/ and brakes so that the car isnt on jackstands for months on end? my car is a uni-body car and the suspension work is all bolt on items, no welding.
thanks

derekf
08-04-2006, 08:45 PM
Once you've got weight on the stand, the lever should not release it easily. Test with something vaguely heavy and your specific jackstands though.

So far as leaving the car on jackstands, yes, that's fine -- I wouldn't do it on dirt or asphalt as there is a tendency for the stands to sink, but on concrete it's not a problem so long as you properly support the car at the appropriate lift points. However, if the car runs and drives, better to get all the parts before tearing the car down, that way you can enjoy it between here and there.

Dodgenut64
08-04-2006, 08:51 PM
thanks for the jackstand answers. as far as driving my car, sadly the car was barrely assembled when i got it, so ive never even gotten to drive it. a few months on the jackstands wont hurt my driving time.

awr68
08-06-2006, 06:50 AM
Sometimes we drill DOM tubbing to put in place of the shocks while setting ride height or waiting for shocks/springs, it gets the car back to a roller....just an idea, might get it back on the ground faster....as long as you have old wheels.....

My car sits on stands a lot of the time, shouldn't be a problem. And I know how it feels to build a car you never have driven!!

Obsin71Ls1
08-06-2006, 10:21 PM
just a tip, use a block of wood or something similar between the jackstnd and the car. I use some thick rubber pad I got from the hardware store if I know my car is going to be on the stands for while.