PDA

View Full Version : Which BBC engine block to choose?

DLinson
08-04-2006, 02:12 PM
If you haven't read my other thread on my cooling problems, I found a crack in my engine block between the #7 cylinder and the lifter bore. Now I am in search of a new engine block.

I have found two blocks, which one would you choose?

Block #1:
2 bolt mains
stock bore maybe .030 over
everything else is stock
cost $450

Block #2
4 bolt mains
mains use studs instead of bolts
.060 over
several head bolt threads are stripped and need to drill out all of the head bolts, tap out to 9/16-12 threads and install threadded inserts.
cost $100 for the block, $60 in inserts, and a saturday of my time to install inserts.

I am going to use all of the 427 parts from my current engine including the .070 over pistons, roller cam, timing chain, aluminum heads, etc. Either block will need to be bored out anyway. I'm leaning towards block #2.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Dennis

Madspeed
08-04-2006, 03:31 PM
I think 450 for a 2 blt block is way out of line. Try more in the 250 range. I paid 350 for a an ls7 4 bolt block .030 over

If you are going to go .070 over you better get it sonic checked for bore thickness and center and as I stated before you should have it magniflux checked for cracks before you spend a single nickle on it.

Kepp looking you should find a used truck block or somthing out there for a reasonable price

BTW a 2 bolt block can support well over 600 hp with factory bolts

I do have a 2 bolt block I might be willing to sell you.
It was a running engine I had freshly built when I totaled my 72 blazer and sold it to a friend whos truck cought fire and got water in the engine and rusted the bores. it is currently .030 over
I bought it back from him and used the rotating assy and bored another block .030
I am in California