PDA

View Full Version : which efi for my setup???

ucmydust68
07-31-2006, 04:08 PM
ok, so here is the setup so far. 415ci small block chevy, sts remote mount twin turbo setup w/ the upgraded corvette turbos( i dont remember off the top of my head i will check tomorrow). its a forged rotating assembly with 8.5 compression using my pro topline alum. heads. i was wondering what efi could be used that is easy and not a million dollars, i have a complete edelbrock pro flow setup right now could i use pieces of it or all of it if i just switched to a different map sensor? or what would it take to use it? or what injection would you recommend?? thanks
chris

DeltaT
07-31-2006, 06:40 PM
I don't know if Edelbrock and Magneti Marelli use GM sensors and IAC motor, but if it does, and you have the #3500 kit, just get a new Map sensor and the Holley 950 Pro w/wideband and wiring harness. That manifold will probably need some port matching to go with your heads, but it should work fine with that manifold and air door.

Should be somewhere in the $1800 range if the sensors are correct. If they aren't, you're probably better off getting the full Holley kit with manifold. You can get injectors up to 50lb/hr with the kit, but they will probably not be big enough. Sell em when they're brand new and get like 72# ones. The Holley will handle them if they're lo-impedance. RCEngineering has them.

Jim

parsonsj
08-01-2006, 11:01 AM
Holley's Commander is definitely the best value. The tuning software is a snap to learn, and its graphical tuning ability is better than some others' table entry-based tuning.

It's easy to set up, just be sure you know how your ignition hooks up to it.

jp

ucmydust68
08-01-2006, 05:05 PM
i talked to the tech guy at edelbrock and he said that if i got an adjustable fuel pressure regulator i could run boost and be fine, he said that it isnt the system that will give you the last 7 hp that the others will but it will be 99% right. so it looks like i will just run the setup the way it is with bigger injectors and pump and see how it does.

DeltaT
08-01-2006, 05:30 PM
The Edelbrock will not deal with boost in the correct manner, ie. with a 2 or 3-bar MAP sensor, load scales that accomodate overpressure (over ambient, or boost) and a timing map that retards with boost. By recommending an APR, he's trying to get you to substitute a cheap bandaid for the real thing. Bottom line, with boost and the Edelbrock, you will have a motor that's controlled by the fuel pressure regulator, and that's not really its job, eh? Given my experience with Edelbrock's excellent products, it's a bummer to hear that he gave you that crappy advice.

That's like an 80's solution to boost, not a 2006 one.

Jim

ucmydust68
08-01-2006, 05:44 PM
ahhh poop, so anyone have the holley stuff i need for sale???

ucmydust68
08-01-2006, 05:56 PM
so what about a stand alone wide band O2 like the AEM offered in summits catalog (pn#avm-30-2301) it says it will work with stand alone FI kits. if i get that and then i get a 3 or 5 bar map, would it all work together? just trying to piece together a kit.

camcojb
08-01-2006, 07:03 PM
i talked to the tech guy at edelbrock and he said that if i got an adjustable fuel pressure regulator i could run boost and be fine, he said that it isnt the system that will give you the last 7 hp that the others will but it will be 99% right. so it looks like i will just run the setup the way it is with bigger injectors and pump and see how it does.

That is absolutely piss-poor advice, and could likely end in a blown motor. I know he's trying to sell a product, but geez............ :drive2:

Jody

camcojb
08-01-2006, 07:13 PM
so what about a stand alone wide band O2 like the AEM offered in summits catalog (pn#avm-30-2301) it says it will work with stand alone FI kits. if i get that and then i get a 3 or 5 bar map, would it all work together? just trying to piece together a kit.

The good systems like FAST, BS3, Gen VII, Holley, have a wideband with them (option with Holley). The other advantage of the FAST/BS3 is they can stay closed loop with the wideband at WOT, so if your fuel mapping is at least close you can command the a/f you want under wot/boost and the computer will adjust to get you there. Very nice feature with a forced induction build.

Jody

RSX302
08-01-2006, 09:38 PM
My 2 pennies..
Although Accel DFI Gen 7 is all I know, it seems to do a very good job in all areas. (boost included) To me, it was very easy to learn and work through. Around $2K, it will get you everything you need, wideband(narrowband std with kit), 3 bar map (1bar std with kit), dual sync dist for full sequential fueling(optional), harness, all sensors, computer, software, data logging etc.

So far I like it...

P.S. Accel can also be adjusted to control open loop compansation at a givin RPM/manifold pressure. Very cool feature. Everything gets adjusted as close as you can in closed loop first before using this feature. idle, part and WOT etc. You can either set all blocks to 0 or turn off the close loop mode. After all thats done, you can adjust open loop from 0 to +/-20. I run mine at about +/-5 at idle to adjust for electric fan loads and 0 above 2000 RPM. I don't trust sensors to stay accurate! If I feel there's an issue, I get a lamda to confirm. I run a narrow band in the car to keep a visual along with a redundant check.

Ron

DeltaT
08-02-2006, 12:31 PM
if i get that and then i get a 3 or 5 bar map, would it all work together?

No, the Edelbrock brain will not handle any overpressure (boost) input from any sensor. You must change to a different ECU, like the Holley.

The other advantage of the FAST/BS3 is they can stay closed loop with the wideband at WOT... The Holley 950 Pro has this feature as well. Very nice.

ucmydust68, contact pro-touring member ProdigyCustoms, that's Frank, and they have a Holley setup for sale for $900.

Jim

911industries
06-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Im building up a 429 ford and Im real interested in the accel dfi kits. I want a minimum of one o2 sensor for each bank. Anyone know what kit I need for that? I here a lot of talk about wide band. Is that what Im looking for?

DeltaT
06-15-2007, 05:27 PM
911 - I'd start a new thread to get the best responses out there.

Jim

Hammered
06-17-2007, 03:34 PM
I have the Gen7 with WB O2. The WB is a necessity in my opinion. The latest firmware of the Gen7 will let you use other vendors' WBs, but I don't think the Gen7 is setup to take two O2 inputs. Perhaps through one of the aftermarket boxes? You can always swap and check your tune bank-to-bank. That's what I'm doing.

Ahhh21
06-19-2007, 03:39 PM
Try RetroTek Speed's new BossEFI System. It's affordable and a bolt on kit. I hear good things about it too, like the EMS it comes with tunes spark as well as fuel, and that it self learns and self tunes the fuel map. www.retrotekspeed.com

how455
02-19-2008, 10:12 PM
going to try efi on a pontiac looking at efi elbows that bolt to intake and use factory style throttle bodies what else would be need electronics and injector wise

ProdigyCustoms
02-20-2008, 04:51 AM
We can do it all, have done a couple.

four zero seven 832 1752

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

MonzaRacer
02-21-2008, 06:32 PM
www.diyautotune.com
They have a fully assembled ready to go Megasquirt based system and if I remember correctly it will come with a 3 bar map and can be had with 4 bar, and you cna use wideband too.
I have seen some serious power made you just gotta sneak up on the tune as with any setup,,,NOTHING is plug and play in my opinion.