PDA

View Full Version : air pocket or bad water pump

bingham72
07-30-2006, 05:44 AM
Ok, I finally got an hour to start my new motor with the new BeCool radiator. after about 5 minutes of running, I noticed the temp creeping up to 240-250 range. I shut down the motor and opened the radiator cap. STUPID, I KNOW. :hand:
of course water shot out under pressure and it seemed to be full of rust and it wasn't that hot or I'd be burned right now.
:injured:
so, i refilled the rad and started the car again, this time without the cap on so I could check the fluid level and water very quickly SHOT out of the radiator again.
so do I have an air pocket or is the water pump bad? and what is the rust from? the engine is newly rebuilt so I guess it could be from there. any help would be great!

MrQuick
07-30-2006, 12:08 PM
the system should not be under pressure like that...was it hot or did you let it cool down. if it was cold then you have combustion pressure getting into your cooling system some how. if it was hot then check your t stat. might be upside down or plugged.

like more info like: engine, water pump reverse or standard rotation

bingham72
07-30-2006, 12:36 PM
the system should not be under pressure like that...was it hot or did you let it cool down. if it was cold then you have combustion pressure getting into your cooling system some how. if it was hot then check your t stat. might be upside down or plugged.

like more info like: engine, water pump reverse or standard rotation

it was "hot" meaning, I shut off the engine, then immediately opened the cap. The engine temp guage read 240, but when it spit up, the water WAS NOT HOT at all.

350 gen1, standard rotation.

what would cause this goop to form?

just for a sanity check, which way does the thermostat go?

bingham72
07-30-2006, 04:49 PM
fixed my own problem. I guess this gunk was hindering the thermosat. I pulled off the water pump and flushed everything and now the temp hasn't gone through the roof.

cfilm1
08-26-2006, 09:13 AM
hey bro.. what is goop and who put it there. You think thats whats getting my 390 hot under the collar? I noticed that rust continually in my sytem as well.