PDA

View Full Version : MSD Distributors

TheRoaringEagle
10-31-2004, 02:51 PM
Hi I was looking through Summit for an HEI Distributor for my 400 sbc which has a distributor with magnetic pickups. I was wondering if a magnetic pickup was the same as points? Or just a setup from points or a modfied version of points?

Anyways, it's a 1970 400 block with camel hump heads, holley hi-rise intake, edelbrock 750 cfm carb and a comp cams cam which I never found of the duration. Would the MSD Pro Billet HEI distributor (4 wire hookup) just drop in my engine without any modification? Or would I be better off with their MSD Pro Billet distributor with magnetic pickup? I guess I just want the best street performance distributor.

Any suggestions?

gmachinz
10-31-2004, 08:51 PM
Stick with the HEI you have now. I would install a curve kit to bring your timing in sooner, and go with a coil/module kit from Hypertech or Performance Distributors which offer coils up to 60,000 volts. Then, you want to look at a set of lower resistance wires such as MSD Super Conductors or Taylor 409 race wire. Heat kills coils in an HEI no matter what you use so another option is to use the cap-adapt to relocate your coil to an external version. If you go this route, make sure to use an oil-cooled coil such as the Mallory. This is the route I would take because I've used these components and I know they work. -Jabin