PDA

View Full Version : Body mount bolt removal advice?

formula
07-28-2006, 10:00 AM
I'm getting ready to pull out my body mounts and put my solids in...I REALLY DO NOT want them to break, forcing me to cut the floor pans open.

So, I need every idea and piece of advice out there on how to get these suckers out without popping them. Help?

68Formula
07-28-2006, 10:15 AM
For about two weeks prior to taking them out, hit them everyday with penetrating oil once in the morning, and once at night.

Use a long socket wrench (or wrench with a helper bar) and apply steady pressure. Do not jerk it.

TonyL
07-28-2006, 12:25 PM
theres also the "apply heat with a torch and then touch the bolt with candle wax" method. It actually works pretty well.

the heat sucks the wax in, like flux when soldering, and lubes it up nice.

formula
07-28-2006, 02:26 PM
theres also the "apply heat with a torch and then touch the bolt with candle wax" method. It actually works pretty well.

the heat sucks the wax in, like flux when soldering, and lubes it up nice.

Wow! that's seriously trick! Hot rodders are like the perfect blend of old housewife ingenuity and engineering know-how.

I'd been spraying them for months with PB blaster, and I swore I was going to keep spraying them until my SFC's showed up, then try the bolts that day. Well, I came home to my good friend the UPS man...So I mustered up all the courage I had and went for it.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Booya!! Thank you lord!

68Formula
07-28-2006, 02:48 PM
[quote=formula]Wow! that's seriously trick! Hot rodders are like the perfect blend of old housewife ingenuity and engineering know-how.
quote]

I know I can't believe I hadn't heard that one before. Very nice.

And the best part, was you comparing Tony to a woman.:razz:
(Just joking Tony, couldn't resist spiking it).

BonzoHansen
07-28-2006, 03:00 PM
That is all I did. I hit them with PB Blaster for a week, leaning on them occasionally clockwise with a long breaker, then ripped them off with an impact gun.

Doug G
07-29-2006, 01:03 PM
PB blaster is great !

The candle wax thing works ... but not in overhead apps.

68firebird
07-29-2006, 04:20 PM
so pb blaster is better to use than wd40?

68Formula
07-29-2006, 04:30 PM
With my experience it seems to work better.

Varkwso
07-29-2006, 05:05 PM
We just did them on a 78 Nova a few months ago and the bolts that came out were pretty ugly - about half way gone where the bushings were. But penetrating oil and hitting them with a long breaker bar worked great - impact wrench woould probably work also.

I ended up getting the replacement bolts at Tractor Supply!

BonzoHansen
07-29-2006, 06:07 PM
so pb blaster is better to use than wd40?IMO, yes.