PDA

View Full Version : Low oil pressure

jeff5347
07-28-2006, 07:06 AM
Hey guys, Wanted to give some info i found in the John Lingenfelter Perf book. My engine has had low oil pressure at idle say around 7 lbs. Not good. Check clearences and leaks and such to no avail. Even check bearings and they looked good. I had checked the oil pump and it seemed in worknig order so i couldnt figure what was goingon. BOught this book a few days ago and it stated that on the rear main cap there are 4 holes.
1 for each stud
1 for the dist driveshat and then there is another hole.
when my engine was assembled i didnt know what this hole was or what it did. In the book it states there is a plug that is removed when the engine is cleaned to get in every passage. This hole needs to be plugged back up as it will indicate low oilpressure and will lead you on a wild goose chase like i was,. He also states this will be most evident at idle as it will show a 20lb drop in pressure. So any one wondering on low pressure make sure this is plugged. I will post a pic tonight when i get home. But wanted to let ya know and maybe this should be a sticky as i know im not the only one that had no clue.:thankyou: