PDA

View Full Version : ground clearance

steemin
10-31-2004, 07:36 AM
Generally speaking. I was curious as to how to much ground clearance does the typical first Gen. pro touring Camaro have? At the "typical" height are there issues in getting around?

69Rathead
11-11-2004, 02:54 AM
Good question! Too bad nobody bothered to reply an answer...I've been wondering the same thing. Seen some pretty low cars on this website and my neighborhood has some speed bumps so I know I can't go as low as some of these cars!

dennis68
11-11-2004, 07:35 AM
Well, I don't have a 1st gen but my 3rd gen El Camino has 4" at the crossmember and about 2.5" at the collector, drags alot but looks awesome.

MuscleRodz
11-11-2004, 09:44 AM
I am building mine for 5 inches ground clearance. But I have cheated an channeled the main floor so the rocker pinches will be the lowest spot around 4.5 inches.

Mike

harshman
11-11-2004, 10:09 AM
ground clearance? what's that? with a t56 and an X-pipe, lowered as much as i have - it looks bad ass but i have to go slow over most rough roads and avoid large speed bumps. i will be raising mine up about 1" in the front and compensating in the rear (air shocks - it's temporary but what are ya gona do)

ProdigyCustoms
11-11-2004, 11:08 AM
I am building mine for 5 inches ground clearance. But I have cheated an channeled the main floor so the rocker pinches will be the lowest spot around 4.5 inches.

Mike

Do you have any pics? I assume the subframe will be tucked all the way? What about the exhaust? Where does it go without being lower then the pinch welds?
Always looking for ideas.

MuscleRodz
11-11-2004, 12:11 PM
Click on my link in my sig. That will take you to my site. Floor has been raised almost 2". Nothing will be below the pich welds. I plan on running Spintech oval exaust. Hopefully in a few more weeks i will update my site with a bunch more pics.

Mike

ProdigyCustoms
11-11-2004, 03:51 PM
No crossmember / driveshaft loop huh? I will be curious to see how you get that backhalf supported / strengthened, without a beam from rocker to rocker. It seams like it would be very prone to flex.
How tall are you? I am 6' and even at a stock floor height, and a very shallow seat, I can barely stay under the roll bar

MuscleRodz
11-11-2004, 04:02 PM
I haven't updated the site in a while. A lot has been done. The rear rails are now tied to the modified rockers which are now 1/8" plate. There is a 2x4 crossmember 3/16" thick just above the drive shaft tunnel. Just waiting to put the trunk pan and inner rockers in until after the rear suspension is installed. Still have to make the custom roll bar for it. I am 6 ft as well. I plan for now to run 4th gen Camaro seats which sit closer to the floor so I should sit about the height. The problem I am trying to work around now is by raising the floor I need to raise the pedals as well.

Mike

ProdigyCustoms
11-11-2004, 07:43 PM
I would like to see how you did the crossmember. I assume you are not running a back seat.
Also, check those 4th gen seats, I was in a 3rd gen car today with a set, and drove with my head out of the T Tops, LOL! Maybe if you do not put in seat pans, and maybe since they are tilt adjustable, maybe that will work.

MuscleRodz
11-12-2004, 02:33 PM
I do plan on a rear seat. Won't be comfortable for adult on a long haul though. Here is a few of the latest pics I have. The crossmember behind the seat takes the place of the double structure that used to be there and will be a locating point for the new rear suspension. I may also mount a rear driveshaft loop. The other two pics show how the rail was tied to the rockers. I will not install subframe connectors until I have the front suspension on. I will probably make new seat pans for the seats to get me as low as possible.

Mike

ProdigyCustoms
11-14-2004, 08:05 AM
I catch in your other post you are not killing it with horsepower, so you should be ok without the crossmember. A true crossmember will absorb a lot of twist though, especially when combined with the main hoop of the cage.

MuscleRodz
11-14-2004, 10:17 AM
major HP will have to come later. i have spent WAAAAAY to much on the rest of the car. A cage is in the works. Probably just run a 4 pt with a harness bar.

Mike

Technophile
01-12-2005, 02:04 PM
Well, I don't have a 1st gen but my 3rd gen El Camino has 4" at the crossmember and about 2.5" at the collector, drags alot but looks awesome.
Dennis, obviously the collector is dragging but does the crossmember hit also?

I would think that 4" of ground clearance would be enough for road racing or parking lots. My '97 Camaro has been lowered and has about 3.5" at the lowest point. There is the occasional very high speedbump or very steep driveway that needs to be manuvered around but it's fine for normal driving. I was planning on 3.5" to 4" on my Cutlass based on that.

Thanks,
Jason

dennis68
01-12-2005, 02:36 PM
No, crossmember never hits. I am lowering it another 1" or so after I get the new spindles and exhaust. Unfortunately I am going to have to give up a few ponies for ground clerence and go back to manifolds (shorty's won't work with clutch linkage).

I planned on using manifolds anyway when I get around to the LSX engine....

I don't know if the crossmember will hit after the headers are removed, they won't let the crossmember anywhere near the ground. I run way stiff springs so probably not but with average rate springs it may pose a problem.

CAMAROBOY69
01-13-2005, 09:48 AM
I agree "Ground clearance whats that"? :lmao:
I dont have much and I drive mine as a daily driver. You know what, I wouldnt change a thing. I love the way it rides and sits. :woot:
I think my rocker is about 5" off the ground but I cant remember.

USAZR1
01-13-2005, 11:37 AM
No, crossmember never hits. I am lowering it another 1" or so after I get the new spindles and exhaust. Unfortunately I am going to have to give up a few ponies for ground clearance and go back to manifolds (shorty's won't work with clutch linkage).

Try a pair of these,Dennis. http://www.sandersonheaders.com/pagesbypartnum/cc12.htm

dennis68
01-13-2005, 12:39 PM
Oh *****....my wife is going to kill me when she get's this seasons car stuff Visa bill.

zbugger
01-13-2005, 01:07 PM
Dennis, they're local too. You can probably go check them out before you buy them.