PDA

View Full Version : Headers...

73novaguy
10-30-2004, 07:03 PM
Beings that this is mainly a 1st gen Camaro site and that Camaros and Novas have close to the same front subframe, I was wondering if anyone has installed 2 1/8th" headers into a 68-74 Nova? I have Ceramic coated Hooker Super Comp headers for a GMPP 502 that were supposed to fit on a Nova... Well they did fit on the pass side, but the driver side is a whole nother story!!! I had to smash in (and I mean smash when I say smash) the tube the runs closest to the steering box about 1/2 inch or so. Anyone know of any headers that will fit with no major mods? Or does anyone make a smaller steering box? I tried to grind a little on the steering box istelf to make some more room, but still had to put the dent in the header. The way I see it, I have two options, #1 being dif headers that actually fit. And #2 being a diff sterring setup altogether! Ideas guys! :fingersx:

HILROD
10-31-2004, 08:08 AM
The headers you used need to be used with FACTORY big block mounts to fit right, they move the motor to the right.

pushrod243
10-31-2004, 04:37 PM
i have 2 1/8 hooker super competition headers on my big block nova with a ramjet 502. I had to remove the steering box to get the header in there but after it was on i did not have any clearance problems. I do have a flaming river steering box but it doesnt seem any smaller than the stocker. On the other side i had to dimple the #2 primary tube to clear the upper control arm bolt. Which was also cut off flush with the nut. I also had to do quite a bit of clearancing on the exhaust flanges since they hit the head bolts. But they look great. I fit mine first then had them coated.

73novaguy
10-31-2004, 06:23 PM
Pushrod... Did you have big block mounts in the car? I have the original small block mounts in mine (boy, didn't know there was a diff cause they bolted up same) so I was wondering what you got? I could get the header up there with no problems but when it came to seating flush against the head, that is when the tube hit the steering box. So as it sits I have like 1/8th clearence between header and box (not enough in my opinion). I figured for 600 bucks they would have fit, so I had them coated first! Wow. The lessons one learns huh?!

Hilrod.. if the mounts move the engine to the pass side farther to allow for more clearence, then wouldn't the tranny and such be mis-aligned? Curious and limited in knowledge... Thanks guys!

pushrod243
10-31-2004, 07:13 PM
I have Moroso solid mounts for a big block on the motor. The big block ones are taller than the small blocks. But i dont see any side to side difference. I did not change the mounts in the car it had a small block in it before I bought. But I was told it had a big block in in before too so i dont know what they are.