PDA

View Full Version : New Gto Motor In Old 66 Gto Conv!!

toofun
07-23-2006, 06:47 AM
I always hear of the LS1 conversions into the camaros but was wondering if anyone ever considered doing a NEW GTO MOTOR AND TRANNY into an OLD 66 GTO?? My buddy has just finished doing the body over in his 66 GTO CONVERTIBLE and is looking into putting a new GTO motor and tranny into it. Has anyone ever done this? What obstacles will you run into with this swap? Any tips, tricks or other info would be greatly appreciated.

Mark
TOOFUN

MrQuick
07-23-2006, 09:35 AM
Hi Mark,

that would be a cool set up. I was thinking an LS1 with GTO covers on a 65'.

Should be an easy sway cause they do seem to fit alot better in A-bodies. Just swap the frame mounts over to the Chevy a body style and it should drop right in using any conversion mount like ATS.

The headers from an F-body should fit without problems due to the front steer and improved engine location.

One problem you man encounter is AC compressor and frame interference.

If you find a donor car, grab everything. AC system,full harness including interor, gas tank, hoses etc. It will make the swap easier not to have to chase parts around.

WS6
07-23-2006, 01:42 PM
Bill's GTO uses a 6.0 which is the same as an LS1 essentially and his is a 65. To my knowledge there is no difference between the two years in this reguard. Man will the purists hate you. Aren't you glad you found us? We love this stuff.

Oh the new GTO has a front sump oil pan. I don't know if this will fit correctly. Swapping to a flat pan from like an Fbody would be easy. Actually, I wouldn't try to find a "GTO" motor. I would simply get an LS1 and put the GTO covers on it if you want. They are all the same. The differences are cable or motor driven throttlebody. The pulleys to some extent and the oil pans. Everything can be swapped around though to fit your needs.

Ralph LoGrasso
07-23-2006, 02:07 PM
The GTO LS1/2 is essentially the F-body and C5/C6 LS1/2 (sans some minor differences i.e. Fuel Rail Covers, accessories, etc), so basically all you'd need to look for are GTOs with LS1 swaps. It's been done quite a few times, Bill's GTO with the 6.0 and the 4L60E has pretty much what you're describing.

Bill Howell
07-23-2006, 04:20 PM
I actually have the GTO plastic covers for my car, however, with the original A/C box, we never cut them up to fit the right hand side.
WS6 is right, all LS based engines are the same, you just need the covers for the look. He is also right about the purists haters. I visit over at Pontiac Zone a good bit but do not post cause down deep they really hate my car. They hate the new GTOs for that matter, call them chevys with pontiac emblems....
However, yes, the LS stuff will fit without much trouble, just get to be good friends with Mark and crew at Street and Performance or else be ready for alot of fab. time. You will have to change oil pans. Any one that claims their kit works and you will not have to change pans, don't beleive it.
Let me know if I can help out, I have been down that road already.:twothumbs

lawbreaker2
07-23-2006, 06:46 PM
:here!: You can not do that to a pontiac, read the fine print in the rule book.:box2: :throw: I hate you I hate you I hate you

:wasntme: I did'nt just say those thing did I, Ok I think I have it out of my system now.:firefire:

toofun
07-24-2006, 03:50 AM
OK,

Just to clarify, It is my friend that is gonna do this not me. Please send all hate to me and Ill forward it to him(LOL!!) I do like the idea though and think it would be totally cool!! I have yet to see ANYTHING around my neck of the woods that would have this setup in it. Definately would be a crowd pleaser in my book!!

Mark
TOOFUN

formula
07-24-2006, 07:37 AM
as a devout member of the "wrong engine in a pontiac" club, I say do it. The ls-based motors are tough to beat for performance.

MrQuick
07-24-2006, 11:23 AM
Wait? ~I thought a new GTO was still a Pontiac?

lawbreaker2
07-24-2006, 11:55 AM

No It's a holled or holled or something like that with a chebby eng. in it.:bsjerk:

Just to clear some things up, I was just messing with you all on the putting in a Ls6 or 7 maybe it was a 8 I don't know, into a gto, well It's all good, It's your car Have fun with it, I was thinking a few years ago about getting one of these new GTO motors with a 6speed and putting it into my judge and having fun.

WS6
07-24-2006, 03:43 PM

It is if you ask me and a damn fine Pontiac at that.

nitrovette
07-26-2006, 09:28 AM
[quote=lawbreaker2]No It's a holled or holled or something like that with a chebby eng. in it.:bsjerk:

a holden is the word your looking for.i think he should go for it just like bill did.