PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Line Routing ?'s

ScotI
07-22-2006, 07:30 PM
I’m in the process of completing a 6cyl/3spd to V8/auto swap in my 68 pick-up. My current issue is the fuel line that runs from the pump to the carb inlet.

I’m using a mech fuel pump & a L-82 spec q-jet style carb (both from Holley). The carb has the q-jet style single fuel inlet @ the top of the front fuel bowl. When I tried to fit a stock style ‘pre-bent’ line from a later model truck w/a q-jet, it was too short. I looked into manufactured ‘pre-bent’ lines from ‘Fine-Lines’ & ‘Classic-Tube’, but they don’t offer pics of what to expect when your ordering,

So, I thought I would bend my own & that hasn’t worked well either. I used coat hangers as templates & can get the basic shape close enough, but then I can’t get the fittings on the ends to flare because the bends are too close to the ends of the line. If I account for the length needed to flare the fitting….. I can’t get the proper ‘bend’ w/the tubing bender. Anyone can half-a$$ tweak some lines to get by but I wanted something better for this install.
What do you guys do to get an ‘engineered’ look?

Because of this issue, I’m contemplating running ‘flex’ line for the whole thing which was how I had the fuel line ran for the 6-banger that was installed (I had 'vapor-lock’ issues w/the less than optimum factory hard-line routing). To attempt a clean, out-of-sight installation, I wanted to run the fuel line toward the back of the engine & along the lower portion of the firewall to the frame.

If I went w/the ‘flex’ style line, I would be utilizing something like Aeroquip’s brand hose that’s track approved vs. generic 3/8” gas line.
What are the issues I might not be considering?