PDA

View Full Version : digital rearview mirrors

Andrew McBride
10-30-2004, 12:29 PM
I am wanting to install a compass/temp. mirror in my 68 camaro. I was wondering where exactly I would have to run the wiring to get a correct degree'(s) or to set the compass? Anyone have any knowledge on this? My truck has this option, but I have no knowledge in trying to mach up my own on a older vehicle.

Andrew

dennis68
10-30-2004, 01:23 PM
The temp sensor is usually mounted up front near the bumper or grill in the path of airflow in order to get an accurate read on temp. The compass module is self contained in the mirror usually. They are pretty spendy, like 300 just for the mirror. You also need the sensor and to run the wiring from the front to inside the car. Some models run through a body module or overhead module first, that get even more expensive. Just get a dash compass at Kragen for 4.99 and one of the those stick on temp deals for aquariums at the pet store, like 1.99.

Andrew McBride
10-30-2004, 01:33 PM
thanks for the info. I am going to try to buy one out of a salvaged car instead of going to yearone and dishing out 300 bucks for the set-up. If all else fails I could trying your alternative set-up for $7.00 I am sure that will be a center point of the car. lol

thanks, Andrew

Pro-touring towncar
11-09-2004, 12:12 PM
Check Ebay, search under compass mirror. You can find some relitivly in expensive there.

Tim

Fuelie Fan
11-09-2004, 05:57 PM
that's what I was gonna say, there's a ton of on there cheap

LT1Nova
11-25-2004, 09:13 AM
Mirror with Compass and outside temp $225.00 (http://www.dakotadigital.com/Detail.cfm/-/Category=01/PartNumber=MMR-1/product.htm)

bdoobie69
12-22-2004, 08:02 PM
I would check out a junkyard. If you find the right one you can walk out with a mirror for about $50. The ones out of the Chevy trucks are the simplest. I have wired a few of these and know the ropes of them pretty well.