PDA

View Full Version : What is best for fixing pinholes and rust pits?

BA.
07-21-2006, 05:17 PM
I got several pictures for ya!

My car originally came with a vinyl top. The pictures make that painfully obvious! :) It's had 3 different colors on it before I got it and the vinyl top had been removed long ago. After stripping off the old paint, I'm finding these rust pits and there is a bit of bondo still in them.

Two, ok three, questions:
1. For pits like on my roof do I just bondo those, use all-metal or what?
The picture seems to make them look worse than they really are in person.
1.5 Do I have to get *every last bit* of old bondo out of the pits?

2. For the two pics of my passenger floorboard, there are some very very small pinholes from rust of sitting rain. The floor is very solid save for these pinholes. Should I all-metal these and then standard rust cure/preventative, primer and sealer, or what?

It might be relavent to mention that both of those have been that way for well over 15 years in my garage, and when it had paint, probably 4 -6 years out in the elements.

Thanks! I'm learning a lot here. :cool:

BA

mikey
07-21-2006, 07:18 PM
I would personally replace the roof and rear deck filler panels. By the time you either blast or grind out the rust the metal will paper thin. As for the floor I would really need to look it over real well before decideing. Remember rust is like cancer if you don't get it all it's only a matter of time before it reappears.

73z-6sp
07-21-2006, 07:25 PM
Good lord man! Replace that panel! It is much too easy to do NOT to do it. You will be much happier with the results. The time you will spend trying to make that look nice is way more than the work you will put into replacing it. The panel is less than $100.

The roof panel is another story. I personally have never replaced a roof panel. My roof had a few spots that were pitted. I used duponts 5717 (Or something like that) which is a rust remover / metal prep. Once I had all the rust gone then I put Epoxy primer over it. But you unfortunately have more on the roof than I did.

Best of luck!

mikey
07-22-2006, 08:51 AM
Roof panels are probably the easiest weld on panels to replace. There really isn't any trouble lining it up because it doesn't touch any panels that are adjustable so it is really just line up the flanges and plug weld it up. I can pretty much put any roof panel on in about 10 hours or less. But I've done a couple hundred or so. Need any help pm me.