PDA

View Full Version : Welding And Possible Shock

BRIAN
07-20-2006, 04:59 PM
I do not claim to be a great welder but have been doing without problem for years. I was just going to lay some tacks on a bracket and had the cord laying across another car. No problems with the weld but.....

I shut the welder off and was tired as it was the end of the day. I was closing the tank when I leaned with one hand on the car that the cord was running across. WOW!! I was quickly awake as I got hit pretty hard. This is a 220 line and I think 30 amp outlet.

I was scared to move as I was unsure what was causing the shock. Like an acrabat I made it to the fuse box which I hit with a broom as I was still shaking. After not finding any worn spots on the cord I was stumped.

I disassembled the plug which is a bolt on deal and found that the ground lug broke loose. Just a warning to check as I guess like everything else they do wear. Home Depot actually had a higher quality version that really locked everything in place.

ahowudoin
07-20-2006, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the info!

toxicz28
07-21-2006, 08:56 PM
I disassembled the plug which is a bolt on deal and found that the ground lug broke loose.

If you're getting a shock from a broken ground lug, there might be something else wrong with your electrical system. I would get it checked out if I were you.

kamaroman68
07-22-2006, 04:38 AM
Not quite sure on this situation but if your car was on jack stands that would be the grounding point. When you reached from your ungrounded welder (broken ground lug) to the car (ground) there was probably a good potential. I have had the same thing happen to me at work. Broken ground wire on a 220v line on a Helium leak detector with me touching a different grounded machine gave me a nice zap also. Chris