PDA

View Full Version : Where do I start?

cadpro
07-20-2006, 09:53 AM
Ok, so on my Project Wagon, I want to run an LS1 and a 6-speed tranny. Where do I start getting info on both? What can I expect to pay for them?

For the motor, I'd like to put a ProCharger on it and make 600 h.p., weekly driven. I'm willing to get everything running NA, but what's the best thing to buy initially, knowing what my future plans call for?

Although I've been "around" V8s most of my life, this is my V8-powered project. I come from the air-cooled VW and (gasp) sport compact drag racing scene. I don't mind doing a little bit of internal work, but it not my forte.

Any info grately appreciated!

-Chad:drive2:

Rybar
07-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Ok, so on my Project Wagon, I want to run an LS1 and a 6-speed tranny. Where do I start getting info on both? What can I expect to pay for them?

For the motor, I'd like to put a ProCharger on it and make 600 h.p., weekly driven. I'm willing to get everything running NA, but what's the best thing to buy initially, knowing what my future plans call for?

Although I've been "around" V8s most of my life, this is my V8-powered project. I come from the air-cooled VW and (gasp) sport compact drag racing scene. I don't mind doing a little bit of internal work, but it not my forte.

Any info grately appreciated!

-Chad:drive2:

Do some searches under Chevy II over at www.ls1tech.com (http://www.ls1tech.com) in the conversions & hybrids forum. There is also a sticky there about installing them into a 1st gen Camaro which has alot of info that would apply to your Chevy II wagon.

I'd first look for a doner motor & tranny (preferably 2001+) make sure you get an F-body setup and make sure it has all the accesories, computer and wiring harness. Then start researching what motor mounts, headers, oil pan & steering you want to run.

Obsin71Ls1
07-20-2006, 05:04 PM
Like Rybar said, there is tons of info at LS1tech.com. Check out this thread.
http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472609

When shopping for your engine and trans, buy as complete a package as you can find. I bought my engine and trans separate. Getting all the missing pieces and bolts was a big PITA.