PDA

View Full Version : Who's roll bar to buy?

Steve1968LS2
10-29-2004, 02:24 PM
S&W? Weld in an Autopower one? Other idea?

I was going to have one fabbed but at $1600 and 2 months backlog I want other options..

A nice 6 point setup :)

jonny51
10-29-2004, 06:31 PM
I hear DSE's is pretty nice.

Steve1968LS2
10-30-2004, 05:20 PM
I didnt even know DSE made a weld in roll bar ???????

TitoJones
10-30-2004, 05:53 PM
I'm using one from SW race cars. It looks pretty nice, and is NHRA legal.

Tyler

awr68
10-31-2004, 12:08 AM
Steve I just installed one from Art Morrison and was very pleased with the fitment....

Steve1968LS2
10-31-2004, 09:20 AM
I'm using one from SW race cars. It looks pretty nice, and is NHRA legal.

Tyler

6 point?

I could just have you weld one in while its at your shop ;)

I bet it was a lot cheaper than $1600 installed..

Thanks guys for the help..

whats the cheapest place to get the SW bars?

TitoJones
10-31-2004, 12:31 PM
You are looking for PN 11-1000, which is an 8pt cage, for $169.95.

Here is the description:
S&W 1-3/4"x.134" wall mild steel roll bars are precision bent for each particular body style and feature notched tube ends (where applicable) for ease of installation. Our roll bars are designed to increase chassis stiffness and protect the driver in the event of a crash. The kit includes a main hoop, rear braces, side bars, frame supports, seat crossmember and 6 steel mounting plates.

All S&W roll bars meet and exceed NHRA, IHRA & NMCA requirements.

http://www.swracecars.com/roll_bars.asp

Tyler

boodlefoof
10-31-2004, 02:17 PM
I just put in a Jeg's brand 4-point bar. I was worried that the fit wouldn't be very good considering the cost (around $130), but I decided to give it a shot. It really fits great! The bends keep it very tight in my '68 Camaro. They also have a curved rear bar option if you want the rear bars to go through the package tray rather than remove the rear seat (extra $40).

Steve1968LS2
10-31-2004, 06:48 PM
I just put in a Jeg's brand 4-point bar. I was worried that the fit wouldn't be very good considering the cost (around $130), but I decided to give it a shot. It really fits great! The bends keep it very tight in my '68 Camaro. They also have a curved rear bar option if you want the rear bars to go through the package tray rather than remove the rear seat (extra $40).

Questions.. Does SW make a 6 point?? do the rear bars go through the package shelf or through the seat? (need the curved bars)..

Does the Jegs one come in 6 point??

Thanks..

Hey Tyler.. wanna weld one in at your shop ;)

I tossed the stocker interior in the car and its getting the exhaust tomorrow (gonna cruise it down there open header :scared:

So it should be ready to head to Vegas in two weeks (ish).. ready for it? :)

TitoJones
10-31-2004, 07:20 PM
We are almost ready for it. Steevo has one last production change to do to an inner pocket, but it shouldn't take too long. I'll see about having my welder do up a cage for you.

So far as I know the rear bars go through the rear seat, and no, they don't make a 6 pt from S&W racecars.

Tyler

Steve1968LS2
10-31-2004, 07:43 PM
We are almost ready for it. Steevo has one last production change to do to an inner pocket, but it shouldn't take too long. I'll see about having my welder do up a cage for you.

So far as I know the rear bars go through the rear seat, and no, they don't make a 6 pt from S&W racecars.

Tyler

Yea, I went to their site.. their 8 point is basicly a 6 point.. I have to have the bar go through the package tray though since im leaving the seat in the car..

Im also going to ditch the Budnik steering wheel.. its too "guchi" and doesent go with how I want the car.. I found a nice MOMO wheel (the figher) that will go nice with the updated interior..

I wont need a hub right since the shifter replaces the hub.. right? Just the wheel?

Yea, let me know on the cage guy.. I just want a nice 6 point with lower side bars.. no swing outs and the rear bars through the package shelf and a cross bar to mount the harness on.. :)

Look forward to meeting you at the SEMA dinner.. at least I will sorta know someone there..

boodlefoof
11-02-2004, 04:31 PM
I'm pretty sure Jegs sells a 6 point bar as well as the 4-point.

RobM
11-03-2004, 07:28 AM
i love mine, every thing fits great and the fact that itsmostly pre notched makes a huge differance. i got the bent bars that go through the package tray. its their 8 point wich is basicly what most people think of as a 6 point. i also put in a swing out system so i could remove the harness bar if i wanted to. i would deffinatly go through them again. i even was able to order some extra straight tubing stock for some custom peices through them. just call them up and they can probebly help you with what ever you need. they also sell a cage in DOM (drawn over mandrel) tubing wich is required by the SCCA in most classes. i have never done a cage before this one, and using their kit was a pretty good experiance. and its inexpencive too! if you either dont have a good welder or you arnt confident with your skills see if you can tack it together at least, then have a pro finish weld it, its ususlay alot cheeper

Steve1968LS2
11-03-2004, 08:45 AM
i love mine, every thing fits great and the fact that itsmostly pre notched makes a huge differance. i got the bent bars that go through the package tray. its their 8 point wich is basicly what most people think of as a 6 point. i also put in a swing out system so i could remove the harness bar if i wanted to. i would deffinatly go through them again. i even was able to order some extra straight tubing stock for some custom peices through them. just call them up and they can probebly help you with what ever you need. they also sell a cage in DOM (drawn over mandrel) tubing wich is required by the SCCA in most classes. i have never done a cage before this one, and using their kit was a pretty good experiance. and its inexpencive too! if you either dont have a good welder or you arnt confident with your skills see if you can tack it together at least, then have a pro finish weld it, its ususlay alot cheeper

Its good to know that you can get the SW bar through the package shelf.. Do they offer chromoly?

Looks like it SW for me

RobM
11-03-2004, 10:06 AM
im not sure if they offer a kit in Chro Mo