PDA

View Full Version : Twin turbo 1980 chevy malibu (PROJECT)??

WELTERRACER
10-29-2004, 10:08 AM
PROTC is buying a 1980 chevy malibu and WE are going to install Two turbos and intercoolers removed from a Stock 92' Eagle Talon!

It has a Stock 262 V8 with 2 barrel carb..

Our plan is too flip the manifolds and mount the turbos on them and add tubbing to the intercoolers and back to a HOMEMADE blowthrew style setup air box.

What size carb do you think will be needed to fuel this setup and will we need a larger fuel pump?(obviously it will have to be a 4 barrel)

We arent spending a ton of cash on it.. ITS JUST FOR FUN!! We would be happy making 300-350 hp with it!!

Thanks.. P.S. what do you think of the idea..

Brian

WELTERRACER
10-29-2004, 01:25 PM
Common........ 56 views and no one has any comments??

BigCat
10-29-2004, 01:38 PM
I like the idea. I'm gonna say a 650 cfm carb and larger fuel pump (to be on the safe side). It'll probably work with the stock fuel pump but you won't be able to keep your A/F ratio up. I hope you reach the 300 mark, that'll almost double the horsepower, right? I mean, a Monte Carlo SS was only rated at 180 hp. Show some pics when complete. It's an idea for my Monte Carlo.

RatMalibu
10-29-2004, 03:53 PM
sounds like a cool one.....theres a guy i talk to quite a bit that twin turbo'd the LT1 in his malibu by turning a set of shortie headers upside down and using a couple of stock turbo's from something....I'll see if I can't get him to drop in on this thread for ya

Blown353
10-29-2004, 04:10 PM
Personally, I think a Holley 2-barrel would offer the best throttle response and plenty of flow capabilities. Either that or a 450 or 600 cfm 4-barrel, the smaller the better. You don't need a huge carb on a blowthru setup!

Troy

TurboLark
10-29-2004, 04:56 PM
Personally, I think a Holley 2-barrel would offer the best throttle response and plenty of flow capabilities. Either that or a 450 or 600 cfm 4-barrel, the smaller the better. You don't need a huge carb on a blowthru setup!

Troy
I agree with this as well. on a 262ci motor you could do fine with a real small 4barrel. They make over 1000hp at the rear wheels with only a 750 in a blowthru setup. I would make a bonnet, they work better than the boxes.

lteone
10-29-2004, 05:10 PM
i use 2 grand national turbos on my lt1 it worked pretty good.

your plan sounds like alot of work for 300-350 hp? like the others said i would upgrade to a small holley. You will be hard pressed to get the stock carb to flow and not leak fuel every where.

i would also do looking around over on http://www.turbomustangs.com/forums/index.php

they have an excellent blow thur fourm!

boodlefoof
10-31-2004, 02:11 PM
I seem to recall looking at a website where another guy had done this with an 80s Ford T-bird. If I remember correctly, they also had a blow-through system, but had to mount a large extra fuel injector in line just before the carb that was activated at 6 psi or something... they also had a water injection system that kicked in around 6 psi... it was awhile ago that I saw this though...

shmoov69
10-31-2004, 06:31 PM
Welllll....I likey the turbos on the cheap! I think that the turbos that you got will work great with the small engine. That is if you can keep the block together. I don't know much about the strength of that small engine. I would go with the smallest Holley double pumper that you can get your hands on cheaply and get a junkyard Ford Powerstroke intercooler and cut down to make fit the front to help keep the charge cooler and aid in tuning error! Go with a Holley "black" electric fuel pump to gain the space on the engine for tubing. Put a bigger fuel line and use the stock line for a return and get a boost referenced return stlyle regulator and a GOOD carb bonnett, like the west coast fab or extreme hat. The bonnet makes a HUGE difference. You will prolly be able to make 400+RWHP with ease at pretty mild boost levels on pump gas. :bananna2:
Jimmy :pics2: