PDA

View Full Version : which comes first.....

psybock
07-18-2006, 02:44 PM
I am in the process of converting my second gen camaro from a dragster (previous owner) to a daily driver that will get alot of track time. Reading all of the great posts on the site (especially streetfytr68's post) about the importance of safety equipement has sobered me up to the fact that I need to have more than a lap belt protecting me before I go ahead and do the suspension, transmission swap, and so on....

Here's my question, is it bad to have a cage installed (and proper seats, harnesses) before replacing the rear quarter panel and rear facia?

I'm sure it's probably best to have all the work done at the same time, but unless there's a real reason for it or the cost isn't as high as I'm anticipating, it would be nice to split it up into two jobs.

thanks for your thougths,

Marc

qwik1320
07-18-2006, 03:52 PM
I wouldn't see why it would matter, you should be able to do them at different times as $$$ permits.

vintageracer
07-18-2006, 05:44 PM
Complete all of your steel body panel replacement/fabrication BEFORE you do any cage or safety installation. All a cage will do is make body panel replacement much more difficult AND really screw things up if you find the chassis/body is bent or twisted.

By "complete" I mean do all the metal work, not bondo or finish work. Once all the body metal work is done, then start your fabrication for the cage and other safety upgrades.

Yes, there may be a case that you have to remove or trim some body panels but this is MUCH easier than working around a cage or other type of modifications that could/will be in your way.

psybock
07-18-2006, 06:55 PM
two different ways of looking at this, thanks for comments! I'm gonna start looking around here in Orange County to see what it would cost me to get it all done at once. Anybody have any suggestions.... I've heard that South Coast Performance (I think that's what it's called) is pretty good.

If anybody else cares to share some more advice I'd certainly welcome it!

6'9"Witha69
07-19-2006, 07:54 AM
Complete all of your steel body panel replacement/fabrication BEFORE you do any cage or safety installation. All a cage will do is make body panel replacement much more difficult AND really screw things up if you find the chassis/body is bent or twisted.

By "complete" I mean do all the metal work, not bondo or finish work. Once all the body metal work is done, then start your fabrication for the cage and other safety upgrades.

Yes, there may be a case that you have to remove or trim some body panels but this is MUCH easier than working around a cage or other type of modifications that could/will be in your way.Agreed!!