PDA

View Full Version : 69 LS1 BRP rack = ? stainless works headers

zman1969
07-18-2006, 12:48 PM
I am doing a ls1 install on my 69 bird with a BRP front rack setup, can anyone confirm the right part# for the stainlessworks headers? I called Stainlessworks - tech guy suggested I call YearOne since they make them for year one -called Year One they said their part # is SW824 and SW part # is ca6769lshdr which when checked at Stainless works website dosent come up good :bsjerk: is it really this hard for Stainlessworks to get the right part#? who out there has done this install? I come up with CALS1 off SW website which shows with rack but their tech guy didnt know if that was with the engine sitting farther forward as the BRP kit does . this is really frustrating being i think this is a simple question :Alchy: :Alchy: :Alchy:

Rybar
07-18-2006, 02:34 PM
Contact Jason (Datsbad) from www.gforcedesignconcepts.com (http://www.gforcedesignconcepts.com)

He has done this swap before and is a dealer for SW. He would know for sure.

zman1969
07-20-2006, 06:39 AM
well I contacted Jason and he isnt sure with the forward mounted ls1 BRP kit either any ideas ANYONE? :scared:

Rybar
07-20-2006, 07:20 AM
They have to be model # CALS1 on this page: http://www.stainlessworks.net/cart/index.php?cPath=94_250_251

If you read the despciptions they say must be used with rack & pinion steering.

Or Year One list them as part # SW824 http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/part.asp?pid=SW824&c=1&e=1&cat=8&hid=826AD48707

These must be the same headers.

zman1969
07-20-2006, 09:11 AM
I belive your right i called SW to verify and their tech guy wasnt to assuring . I dont have to have these tomorrow as my car is in paint jail now over a year but want to have ready when it can be installed . i guess ill call SW again this will be the 4rth call (only once was answered and none of the messages had returned my calls) so its just frustrating to get a simple question answered :hammer:

Mkelcy
07-20-2006, 10:26 AM
I'm not so sure which one you should get.

The difference between having a steering rack and the stock steering is simply the amount of space available immediately behind the main front subframe cross-member. The requirement of a rack for the CALS1 headers may simply mean that the header tubes run closer to the rear of the subframe for the CALS1 headers than they do for the CALS1B headers. If that's the case, given the BRP forward mounting position for the engine, these may be exactly the wrong headers to get.

Were I you, I'd be tempted to get the CALS1B headers which, because they anticipate having to make room for the stock steering, may have enough room to allow for the BRP forward engine mounting position.

In other words, who knows what you should get until you get to a decent tech guy?

Rybar
07-20-2006, 11:26 AM
I believe the SW CALS1 longtubes were designed to work with the BRP mounts and front mounted rack and pinion steering. See the Year One project Camaro.

The stock type steering ones came out after for guys who kept thier stock steering box with rear steer. CALS1SB

Mkelcy
07-20-2006, 11:32 AM
I believe the SW CALS1 longtubes were designed to work with the BRP mounts and front mounted rack and pinion steering. See the Year One project Camaro.

If that's the case, the CALS1's are obviously the ones to get; but the issue the OP is having is that no one can confirm it.

FabUThis
08-02-2006, 12:09 PM
just wondering what you did to your oil pan to fit ?

alstainlessworks
08-09-2006, 07:24 AM
Guys

For a front steer rack, the correct part # is CALS1. Sorry about the confusion-we have a new tech guy and I will inform him of the differences.

Thanks
Al Noe
Stainless Works