PDA

View Full Version : my wife and kids are broke down

ls67
07-18-2006, 11:02 AM
My wife and kids are on the road 120 miles from home and they just called me and said the car (2k suburban) was dead. They said it acted like it had fuel filter issues and just died. It did this to us on a trip 6 or 7 months ago and I got under the hood and bled the schrader valve to see if it had fuel pressure and it squirted like it had plenty of pressure and then it started and we finished our trip. So I have instructed my son on what to do over the cell phone and he got it running but I still dont know what caused this and I dont know how far they will make it so do any of you guys have any Ideas on this. btw it is on its 3rd fuel pump installed under warranty.

They are in amarillo right now.

Damn True
07-18-2006, 11:31 AM
Where are they?

baz67
07-18-2006, 11:39 AM
My wife and kids are on the road 120 miles from home and they just called me and said the car (2k suburban) was dead. They said it acted like it had fuel filter issues and just died. It did this to us on a trip 6 or 7 months ago and I got under the hood and bled the schrader valve to see if it had fuel pressure and it squirted like it had plenty of pressure and then it started and we finished our trip. So I have instructed my son on what to do over the cell phone and he got it running but I still dont know what caused this and I dont know how far they will make it so do any of you guys have any Ideas on this. btw it is on its 3rd fuel pump installed under warranty.

They are in amarillo right now.

True :wedgie:

Damn True
07-18-2006, 11:41 AM
LOL, shoulda read the whole post. Saw that someones family was in trouble and wanted to help as fast as possible.

Amarillo is kinda far from San Jose though.

sorry

we gotta have someone in N. Tejas though

ls67
07-18-2006, 01:59 PM
I just spoke with them and the burban is still running fine and they are at the dentist office and have a few errands to run after that I was just hoping that someone could tell me what the problem was it is not coding anything it is just that it has happened twice in the last few months and I am not there to help them this time. I need to figure this out cause my wife would be sol if my son were not there to help her this time. besides if I dont fix it she will be looking at new cars very soon.

True thanks though for wanting to saddle up and help. :angel:

ahowudoin
07-18-2006, 02:22 PM
Wild guess= Try and take the gas cap off to see if the tank is building up pressure.

TPI Monte SS
07-18-2006, 03:22 PM
Wild guess= Try and take the gas cap off to see if the tank is building up pressure.

I was going to suggest the same thing.

Madspeed
07-18-2006, 09:42 PM
If I am not mistaken the third time in for the same thing is under the lemon law
I would tell them to take the truck back and refund yoyr money in full or you will be contatcing your lawyer

Not used to seeing fuel pumps die that much
but its hard to accuratly diagnose without my tools on it

I did however do a few fuel pumps here and there in my stint at the gm dealership as a tech

David Pozzi
07-18-2006, 10:16 PM
Removing the gas cap on late models will turn on the warning light and set a trouble code.

Change your fuel filter often, the extra back pressure from a partially clogged filter puts more wear on the pump. These systems need very high pressure or the injectors won't fire. On a throttle body system you could see if the fuel is being injected but later systems are not visible. I used a tire gage to check fuel pressure in a pinch, not too safe though!

oneninesixseven
07-19-2006, 08:23 AM
My dad had the same thing happen to his 98 Tahoe. He took it to a dealership and they just told him it needed a new fuel pump. So he replaced it. Then It would run for a month or two and then leave him stranded. Evidently the weather pack would make a connection for a while on the new fuel pump and then lose the connection. After the third fuel pump quit, I went over to check it out. It turned out the factory weather pack was the problem. I installed a new weather pack connector (the one on the vehicle harness not the fuel pump) and it fired right up! No more problems.

RaceMan
07-19-2006, 08:24 AM
We had the exact same problem with a 2000 sub. it died I think four times it blow a fuse under the hood twice and they couldn't tell me what the problem was . I wound up trading it in not long after that , I had some good friends in the repair bus. look at it and they counldn't find it .before I put alot of $$ into it I dumped it
Good luck!!

ls67
07-19-2006, 01:18 PM
Removing the gas cap on late models will turn on the warning light and set a trouble code.

Change your fuel filter often, the extra back pressure from a partially clogged filter puts more wear on the pump. These systems need very high pressure or the injectors won't fire. On a throttle body system you could see if the fuel is being injected but later systems are not visible. I used a tire gage to check fuel pressure in a pinch, not too safe though!

It is a brand new filter and the last one I took apart and examined it and was not visably dirty.

ls67
07-19-2006, 01:32 PM
We had the exact same problem with a 2000 sub. it died I think four times it blow a fuse under the hood twice and they couldn't tell me what the problem was . I wound up trading it in not long after that , I had some good friends in the repair bus. look at it and they counldn't find it .before I put alot of $$ into it I dumped it
Good luck!!

the first time it happened we had the same thing happen blown fuses yata yata yata and it was about 2k miles out of warranty I was in short britches no tools and 350 miles from home so I had the dealer go ahead and fix it and they gave me a lifetime gurantee on the deal one year later on the road I fill up and gas starts running off of the fuel tank on to the ground so I take it in to the local dealer and they said that the top of the sending unit is melted and letting fuel run out they say that they can fix it under the warrenty that the other dealer gave me but it will void the one lifetime warrenty and now will only have a one year. So I let them do it then I get a recall letter from gm and it says that if you have been out any expense on the fuse blowing pump failure that they would refund repair and if not I needed to take it to a dealer to have it replaced anyway so I send in my tickets and they send me 700.00 that was cool now my family is on the road with out me and this crap starts happening luckily my boys have been around the shop enough that they can help the wife out and they should be home today. btw she told me today that she thinks gas maybe coming up from under the suburban and getting on the back doors. So I told her to come on home and just keep an eye on things. they will be home in about an hour or two so I will look at it then. They have had to flee a flaming minivan on the side of the highway before so it wont be anything new if it happens again.