PDA

View Full Version : Need help with timing... degreeing cam

80Camaro
07-16-2006, 02:56 PM
I began degreeing my cam today and ran into kind of a weird problem.
-I got #1 up to top dead center
-installed timing gears with marks on teeth FACING EACH OTHER crank sprocket on "0" degree keyway.
-While turning crank clockwise... as you approach TDC on #1, the intake valve begins to open!! At TDC #1 it's open .060"! I checked that with a dial indicator right on the lifter.
I compared the new cam gear with another one and the timing mark is in the right position. The dowl pin in the cam looks right too.

What do you think?!!

TPI Monte SS
07-16-2006, 03:33 PM
If the cam gear is at 6 o'clock and the crank gear is at 12 o'clock, you're really at TDC for #6. The dot on the cam gear and the dot on the crank gear each need to be at 12 o'clock for you to be at TDC on #1.

Good luck!

Madspeed
07-16-2006, 06:04 PM
In Lamens terms
Rotate the crankshaft one revolution and then your at tdc #1

jeff5347
07-17-2006, 09:17 AM
TPI, Dont mean to bust in on this post but i think you guys are wrong. To adjust the cam in the engine without a wheel

"If the cam gear is at 6 o'clock and the crank gear is at 12 o'clock, you're really at TDC for #6. The dot on the cam gear and the dot on the crank gear each need to be at 12 o'clock for you to be at TDC on #1. "

The dots on the cam and crank gears need to face each other.
Meaning Cam is at 6 and crank is at 12. If this is what you meant sorry but it sounded like you meant crank needs to be at 12oclock (correct) and cam need to be at 12oclock (incorrect.) Cam installed should be at 6o'c

ZZ430
07-17-2006, 10:20 AM
If the cam gear is at 6 o'clock and the crank gear is at 12 o'clock, you're really at TDC for #6. The dot on the cam gear and the dot on the crank gear each need to be at 12 o'clock for you to be at TDC on #1.

Good luck!

Thats correct.