PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop help!!

dennis68
10-28-2004, 05:22 PM
Photoshop gurus, how do I cut something out of an image exactly along the lines, ie cut out a car to put on different background? I tried the magic wand but it won't get the whole car, I tried the lasso, I can't get even close to being on the lines with this crappy mouse.

Next ???, I wanted to try some different paint schemes but since I can't get the magic wand to highlightthe whole car i can't change color, help..

will69camaro
10-28-2004, 07:34 PM
If you hold alt while using the lasso tool you can "cut" out sections that you might have selected by mistake, and shift will allow you to "add" to the selection. It takes time to get used to it but it doesnt' take too long. If you'd like me to give it a shot for you, i might be able to do pretty decent if the resolution is high enough. Send me the pics you want, and back ground and an idea of colors to [email protected]

William

dennis68
10-28-2004, 07:55 PM
Damn, I tried. I just don't get it. I'll send a pic

BlazerSpeed
10-28-2004, 10:48 PM
Magic Wand tool but hold down the shift key while doing it. This allows you to select numerous sections at the same time. Obviously when you drop the cut out image into a new back ground you aare going t owant to zoom in and erase any overlap. If you want send me the pics and i can do it for you.
DEREK

camarorider
10-29-2004, 01:35 PM
I will teach you how the pros do it because 1. it is not that hard 2. the quality is far better then other ways 3. if you make a mistake it is really easy to go back and change it.

The advantage to masking in photoshop is that images are raster based and therefor some lines contain alias in them and you need to have an edge that "feathers" to look realistic when you put it on another background.

In photoshop there are two ways to mask.
1.Go to the "channel" tab which should be right next to your layers tab in the layers window.
This one is the best way since it represents the mask as a color but it is longer to explain, soo...
2. On the main image layer, go down to the bottom where there are 6 little icons.
a) Hit the second one from the left, should be a circle inside a box, and when you leave your mouse over the icon it should say "layer mask".
It will link a mask layer with your "image" layer.
b) Use your brush tool and either white or black color brush. As you paint with the black brush you will look like you are erasing your image but really you are telling photoshop "i dont want to see this area"
Keep doing this until you have "cut" out the car from the background.
See the great thing about doing it this way is
1. If you need to go back in history, each brush stroke is held in history so you can just keep going back until you get back to the point you want. If you used the magic wand it will only record the whole operation. so if you mess up bad you have to start all over.
2. If you cover over an area that you didnt want to "get rid of". Just use the white color and paint over it and it will "unerase it".
c) Then you can save it as a .psd file and it will keep that alpha channel for you. Whenever you want a new background, just dump it in a layer under you car w/ the layer mask.

If you have any questions let me know.

dennis68
10-29-2004, 04:03 PM
OK, what about changing color? I've gotten pretty good at placing new backgrounds behind the image...I'd post a shot but they save a PSD files and are like 760K and the limit for upload is like 19K. I've tried opening it in another form and it look terrible, any ideas on how to maintain quality and size and change format?

will69camaro
10-29-2004, 04:37 PM
You can save them when you hit save, or save as, as a .JPG and if you want host it on this site and post a "clickable thumbnail"

http://www.imageshack.us

William

dennis68
10-29-2004, 05:26 PM
When i hit save as it defaults to PSD and won't let me select anything else?

Maybe I should also point out I'm using PS 5.0. I couldn't find the channel tab-in my layers box the is no other tab.

camarorider
10-29-2004, 08:10 PM
Do you mean change the color of the car? or background? You channel may have been hidden. Go to the WINDOW menu and click on the channels selection. This should make the channel window appear.

I dont remember if photoshop 5 had this in it may have been started in 5.5 but see if there is a save for web under file menu. This will allow you to save it out as a .jpg and select the compression level and see a preview of how it will look. This is nice because you can move the compression level back and forth and see how good or bad it will look along side of the size the image.

If there is no save for web then you have to select SAVE AS under the file menu. There should be two places at the bottom for info.
1. is the file name
2. is a drop down menu that will allow you select your output format.
select .jpg format and click save.
It should then bring up another window which is your compression settings. You might have to play around with this to see what level is ok. Start off at 50%. Then open that file up in Internet explorer or back in photoshop, but make sure you are looking at it at 100% zoom or it may look pixelated.

Some tips. Always have your working .psd file the same size or larger then you ever plan on outputting it. This is because you can always shrink your image and it will keep most of its detail but you really cant enlarge the image too much before you start to notice.

Hope this helps.

JohnDempsey
11-22-2011, 12:21 PM
Photoshop gurus, how do I cut something out of an image exactly along the lines, ie cut out a car to put on different background? I tried the magic wand but it won't get the whole car, I tried the lasso, I can't get even close to being on the lines with this crappy mouse.

Next ???, I wanted to try some different paint schemes but since I can't get the magic wand to highlightthe whole car i can't change color, help..
You may recover corrupted psd files with the help of adobe photoshop recovery (http://www.recoverytoolbox.com/photoshop.html). It works with high end, clear interface. The tool is able to work under any Windows OS. The software doesn't change source data during recovery.