PDA

View Full Version : LT1 oil pump drive question

Samckitt
07-12-2006, 06:22 PM
At one time I had seen a small steel plate to put on top of the LT1 oil pump drive & then bolt it down. They claim this is to keep the plastic housing from flexing when using higher volume or pressure oil pumps & high RPM's. Is this really necessary? Or hype?

Scot

Madspeed
07-12-2006, 10:35 PM
Not Hype
I alsways replace the stock oil pump D shaft with an aftermarket one with the metal collar instead of the plastic

I once was dumb enough to grab the old choped up dist around the shop i was working at once to prime my new engine.
It had the dist gear removed, As soon as it got Oil presure the shaft split in two (doh)

Samckitt
07-13-2006, 03:47 AM
Madspeed,
Wrong piece, I agree with you there replacing that part.

This part on the LT1 is 90 degrees to the camshaft & is basically the bottom 4" or so of a normal distributor. This is what takes rotational movement from the cam & drives the oil pump. On the LT1 it is under the intake, not visible normally. I'll see if I can find a pic & post it. But the housing for this shaft is plastic & bolts to a boss inside the lifter valley.

Samckitt
07-13-2006, 03:51 AM
Here is a picture of the oil pump drive:

Madspeed
07-13-2006, 09:23 PM
AHA you my freind are correct
I am sorry bud I forget about the oditys of the lt1 =(
I would however like to see what you are referring to as I might learn somthing new =)

Samckitt
07-14-2006, 12:48 AM
I can't seem to find the place that was selling these pieces. But it was egg shaped & fit on top of the drive & is bolted down with the drive retaining bolt. If I was to use one I would just make it & not buy it, my suspensions are it is hype for someone to make some extra money.

WS6
07-14-2006, 04:51 PM
You know I am no expert by any means, but I love the Lt motors and I have never heard of anything like this for them or any problems associated with the oil pump drive shaft for these engines.

I do wonder though, are you spinning this engine hard or looking to up the pressure/volume? I am not a fan of upping the volume of a oil pump just because. On a completely purpose built engine that's blue printed then sure if that's what is called for. Also keep in mind more pressure does not mean more flow necesarily. Just curious and I too am interested in whatever you find out about this piece. Might want to try and PM sstrokerace if he doesn't see this. Bret will know what your referring to if it's anything worth wild