PDA

View Full Version : T-5 or TKO????

Shaved66Stang
10-27-2004, 11:25 PM
Ok, so Im gonna make the big step and upgrade from my automatic to a manual. I've been looking at swaping in ONE of the many TKO's or a *G-Force* T-5. My buddy has a G-Force T-5 in his 68' and he is pushing WELL over 500hp through it. Seems to be pretty happy and it's holding up great even with 6k rpm drag launches on slicks. He doesnt even have the dog-tooth style gears. The G-Force seems to be a high quality piece. I havent heard much about TKO's other than they are great for auto-x and road racing. How well do they hold up to 500+hp?? Whatever I put in my car has to withstand agressive driving :drive: and a constant beating. Does anyone make a skatter(sp) for a TKO such as Lakewood does for the T-5?? Who makes a good clutch for the TKO's? I was looking at either a McCloude(sp) or a Centerforce dual Fric. clutch for the T-5's. This will be my first swap of a LONG,LONG,LONG list of modifications. Thanks
Shaun

79T/Aman
10-28-2004, 05:56 AM
I'm not mutch into Ford's but I know that the TKO has a higher power rating ,as far as the clutch is concerned it should not make a difference as to wha trans you have as far as the scater shield lakewood should have one again no big difference as the TKO trans was originaly made as a stronger replacement for the Ford T-5 for mustangs

Shaved66Stang
10-28-2004, 06:26 PM
A TKO is rated at what, 400-425hp and a TKO 2 @ 475? Something along those lines. What is this TKO-600 I see on here alot? I know guys putting 400hp+ through a stock T-5 (rated at like 325-350hp) and they just sher the gears to pieces. The clutches (most being Centerforce or RAM) hold up fine. A G-Force T-5 has hardend gear sets and are designed to handle 600hp+. The racing G-Force tranny with dog-tooth gears is supposed to handle upwards of 800hp. Does anyone on here have a G-Force T-5?? If soo, how is it holding up? How do TKO's hold up? This will be going behind a blown & NOS fed SBF.

chevymike
10-29-2004, 06:20 AM
The original TKO and TKO-II are not being built anymore (IIRC). The TKO-500 and TKO-600 are the current replacements. That stands for how much torque they are rated at, 500 or 600. The 600 also has a different 1st and 5th get then the earlier ones or the 500 (all three the same). I have a 600 and really like the gear spacing. Almost like a close ratio with an overdrive. I'm sure you could go with the 600 or the G-Force but I think the G-Force is more aimed to drag racing so if that's your deal, it may be better. At least that's what I've read. Good luck.

fastburn430
10-29-2004, 09:51 AM
I have a TKO-600 in my 72 Mustang and I love in it. I looked at prices for these two transmissions and the TKO-600 was just as strong and cheaper. Also, the TKO-600 was designed from beginning to be stronger, rather than just a gear set upgrade. If you already have a T5, it might be priced similiar to have the gear set upgrade, about $1600 installed, with your used case. I paid about that with everything brand new and a billet shifter already installed. A G-Force T5 with new case is about 2K without mainshaft upgrades. Just my 2 cents.

On the opposite side, the TKO-600 is heavier, bigger, a little longer and may require trans tunnel clearance on earlier mustangs. I believe the T5 is a more of a direct bolt in.

dhardison
10-29-2004, 10:14 AM
I have a TKO-I in my '70 Nova and LOVE IT. My 454 crate motor is 'rated' at 465hp, but puts out well over 550hp. With a blowproof bellhousing to save the legs/feet my TKO handles 3500rpm-4000rpm all day long. Now my rear tires don't fare quite as well. ;-)

Dan