PDA

View Full Version : quick question on my setup?

ucmydust68
07-09-2006, 12:09 PM
ok, so im buiding a 67 chevy truck and i have started to shop for engine parts and here is what i have so far, forged 415ci short block, pro topline lighting allum. heads- 220cc, edelbrock pro flow injection and i havent purchade the turbos yet still looking on that. what i was wondering is what kind of troubles am i going to have with the fuel injection and forced induction, the owner of Golen performance seems to think that he can tune it to run great and i do trust him, but i have seen so many people bash that particular injection that i was just wondering. also im using a comp xm278 roller cam, pete jackson gear drive, and all the supporting mods to the motor to handle boost..also i was told that the gear drive was a problem with the injection, any thoughts??
thanks alot
chris

camcojb
07-09-2006, 02:48 PM
ok, so im buiding a 67 chevy truck and i have started to shop for engine parts and here is what i have so far, forged 415ci short block, pro topline lighting allum. heads- 220cc, edelbrock pro flow injection and i havent purchade the turbos yet still looking on that. what i was wondering is what kind of troubles am i going to have with the fuel injection and forced induction, the owner of Golen performance seems to think that he can tune it to run great and i do trust him, but i have seen so many people bash that particular injection that i was just wondering. also im using a comp xm278 roller cam, pete jackson gear drive, and all the supporting mods to the motor to handle boost..also i was told that the gear drive was a problem with the injection, any thoughts??
thanks alot
chris

Biggest problem is unless they've recently made a change the ProFlo cannot be tuned under boost. Even if it could it would be the last choice I'd make. It's fine with a mild to medium n/a setup but severely lacks tuning capability compared to all the other systems out there.

Jody

Blown353
07-09-2006, 04:09 PM
What Jody said. Very little tuneability with the Pro-Flo and definately won't take to boost (1-bar MAP sensor.)

You could probably use the throttle body and intake but you'll need bigger injectors, larger fuel rails, larger regulator, 2-bar (minimum) MAP sensor, and a different ECU to run it.

Why gear drive? No real reason for it and there is some evidence that the harmonics a gear drive transmits to the valvetrain is detrimental to roller lifters. I'd say ditch the gear drive and go a good true-roller chain... or belt drive if you don't mind the maintenance.

As far as your cam choice, can you clarify? Comp shows an XM278 being a hydraulic flat tappet grind.

Also, you said "roller"-- do you mean hydraulic or solid roller? If you're going to play with a solid roller on the street be prepared for some possible durability and longevity problems with the lifters, and there are other durability issues to be concerned about regarding the particular cam core and distributor gear used.

ucmydust68
07-09-2006, 04:19 PM
the cam is hydraulic, ive been looking at cams all day for my o4 gto and roller is on my brain. i probably will ditch the gear drive. if i do use all the hard parts from edelbrock what ecu etc, could i use? i notice that edelbrock has a tuner efi kit, i really dont want to drop a million bucks on efi i got the edelbrock pretty cheap, but if it has to be done its only money i guess.