PDA

View Full Version : LS 1 conversion

vr1967
10-27-2004, 03:08 PM
I know I'm late in the game, but please bear with me.

Has anyone used the following LS1 for their conversion?
GM PN 25534322
http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/120/products/466/LS1-Engine-Kit-w_Computer-GM-Performance-Parts-Crate-Engine-Assembly.htm

Would I need a 4L60E? or would my old 700R4 be ok? My 67 Camaro needs a new motor, my old pick up is well used and the wife wants me to buy a new vehicle. Was thinking of a new LS1 and turning the Camaro into a daily driver.
What about accesories? Which would I need? Also, would it fit with my factory a/c?
Sorry for all the questions.
Virgil

Stu Seitz
10-27-2004, 04:32 PM
Would I need a 4L60E? or would my old 700R4 be ok?

Yes, I'm pretty shure that I have heard it will bolt on. In other words, yes but check just to make shure.

What about accesories? Which would I need? Also, would it fit with my factory a/c?

Depends on how you mount the engine. Will you be using motor mount adaptors like the ones S&P (Street and Performance) or BRP (Brewer (sp?) Restoration and Performance) make? I'm using S&P adaptors along with rubber mouter mounts. I'm happy with the adaptor plates, nice and clean but I just bought stock rubber motor mounts that had a ridge on the back of them so they wouldn't sit flush on the adaptor. I fixed this by grinding some material out of the plates.

Accesories? Agian depends on what your using. From what I have heard the BRP plates actually move the engine forward so you can use a stock condensor or compressor or what ever that thing is on the lower passenger side of the LS1 for air conditioning. If you use the S&P plates in oder to use the stock condensor think you will have to notch your frame.

Your air conditioner box that sits on the passenger side will not fit with S&P mounts. I know from personal experiance. While I was putting my engine in I thought it would fit but as I shifted the engine into the correct place I saw one if the coil packs go right through the side of the box. So yeah you could get it to fix but it will rub and just be a bad thing in you engine bay. Luckly for me I was planning on taking it out, but never did just because I wanted to get my ls1 in fast.

Sorry for all the questions.

Dude no worries, that's what this board is here for.

P.S. Even if I did answer some of your questions keep asking about them it is better to get more then one opinon, just because it works for me doesn't mean its gonna work for you.

Nine Ball
10-27-2004, 04:58 PM
I'm not certain on the 700 tranny, but I believe it can be mated with the LS1 with a custom torque converter and flex plate. The cheaper route on accessories would be using the 98-02 F-body type serpentine layout. The Corvette, Truck, and F-body LS1s all have different belt offsets and different accessory belt paths. The f-body stuff is usually easier to find cheap or used.

Your factory A/C should fit just fine, as the LS1 takes up less room than a traditional SBC due to there not being a distributor on the back of the engine.

Visit www.LS1TECH.com and look in the Conversions/Hybrids forum. use the search feature and you will find everything you ever wanted to know about doing an LS1 swap.

If you want to see some photos of a conversion, here is my page: www.ExtremeG.net

vr1967
10-27-2004, 06:40 PM
Thanks Gentlemen,
That gives me plenty of reading and studing to do.

Virgil

rob07002
10-28-2004, 07:42 AM
Just my $.02, by why not just buy a pullout ls1/t56 or 4L60E from a wrecked car. You will probably be able to get one with under 30k for around $4000 - $5000. thats with the harness and pcm, and clutch hydro, if going the stick route.

Anyway my op.