PDA

View Full Version : LSX oilpan

alky
07-06-2006, 06:39 PM
I have a 2002 f-body LS1 going into a 1969 Camaro.
I'm looking for oilpan options. ATS has a very nice pan for $499 that has about a month wait. Street and performance has a modified stock pan for $235 plus core, about 1 week wait.

Any othr options?

Thanks
Denny

chicane67
07-06-2006, 07:02 PM
Not really.....

And..... this was the driving force behind the ATS pan. No one... had made a wet sump pan specifically for the 1st Gen F-body. The pan offered by ATS has had some major development in its design with an independant company that basically came up with it and the requirements that the pan was built to...... It is bad enough to be used in a NASCAR class by top engine builders that still have to run a wet sump oil system.

So you can be rest assured that what you are getting is worth the wait.

alky
07-06-2006, 07:21 PM
No doubt ATS makes great products. I just ordered motor mount plates and a T56 install kit from Tyler. Shipped today I think. I won't be doing any road racing, maybe some 1/4 passes.
Just trying to see whats out there.

Rybar
07-07-2006, 12:17 AM
Autokraft makes a nice pan you might want to check out: http://www.autokraft.org/products/

Steve1968LS2
07-07-2006, 05:58 AM
No doubt ATS makes great products. I just ordered motor mount plates and a T56 install kit from Tyler. Shipped today I think. I won't be doing any road racing, maybe some 1/4 passes.
Just trying to see whats out there.

I would wait for the ATS pan.. I think it will here in less than a month and the baffle design is VERY nice.

If you have to go with the fbody pan then I found a way to still run remote lines like the ATS pan.

Your could also get some measurements of a C6 LS2 pan, looks like that may work without modification, maybe.

Are you going Rack/Pinion or staying with the stock steering?

alky
07-07-2006, 02:15 PM
rybar, thanks for the link. Looks nice. Anyone try this pan yet?

Steve, I'll be staying with the stock type rear steering.

67LSRS
07-13-2006, 05:21 PM
After reading this thread and seeing there website I decided to give Autokraft a try. Received the pan today, and I like it! better then the conversion pan I bought two months ago baffling looks like it will function great, but I wont have any experience with its actual function because I have a while to go before im even close to having it running.
The customer service is great and Im happy with the transaction so far.

alky
07-13-2006, 09:23 PM
I spoke to Kurt at autokraft and this pan doesn't have a 1/2" npt for the oil temp. sender. Anyone know exactly what this sender controlls? (closed loop, idiot light, limp home mode)??????

Other than that the pan looks very nice.

JMarsa
07-14-2006, 05:14 AM
I thought the GTO or was it CTS-V pan had the hump in the right spot?

--JMarsa

93Polo
07-14-2006, 05:25 AM
The GTO pan is a front sump.

Info on the CTS-V pan

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437931&highlight=pan

Rybar
07-14-2006, 08:11 AM
I spoke to Kurt at autokraft and this pan doesn't have a 1/2" npt for the oil temp. sender. Anyone know exactly what this sender controlls? (closed loop, idiot light, limp home mode)??????

Other than that the pan looks very nice.

I'm pretty sure the factory sender is for an idiot light. You'll need to install an aftermarket sender for an oil pressure gauge (Autometer)

alky
07-14-2006, 02:05 PM
Thanks rybar.

ahowudoin
07-15-2006, 08:14 AM
Here is another vote for autokraft. I got tired of waiting for the ats pan that keeps getting redesigned. I have been on the list to get one for at least 6 months. Kurt at autokraft had the pan in stock,I didn't need to get a remote filter setup and I got the pan and pickup in 3 days. You can't ask for anymore.

alky
07-15-2006, 06:23 PM
I ordered my oilpan from kurt @ autokraft, should be here on monday.
What have you guys been doing with the oil level sender? The autokraft pan has no bung in the oilpan sump.

TitoJones
07-15-2006, 07:39 PM
Here is another vote for autokraft. I got tired of waiting for the ats pan that keeps getting redesigned. I have been on the list to get one for at least 6 months. Kurt at autokraft had the pan in stock,I didn't need to get a remote filter setup and I got the pan and pickup in 3 days. You can't ask for anymore.

We were unhappy with the vendor we had making them for us. There isn't much redesign work going on with our pan, we only switched vendors to ge an even higher quality pan than previous version, and we added a 1/8" NPT fitting for oil pressure. Autocraft uses the same vendor as we did, but he opted to get his pans made with an oil filter.

The reason it took so long is we had to stop production on the LS1 pans to do a one off LS7 dry sump pan for Mark Stielow's Camaro X. Our new pans will have much better TIG welds(vs the quickly done MIG welding done to our old ones), a thicker pan rail, and AN fittings.

Those who waited for it will be VERY glad they did. We are about 14 days away from getting them back. I'll post pics when they arrive so you can compare them to our old ones and see the differences.

Tyler

gEtyOpAPiOn
07-16-2006, 06:34 AM
what ever you do ,dont ever ever get a s&p modified oil pan as the baffle has to be removed or modified (junk) and it robs the pan from 1 1/2 quarts of oil hmmm 3 1/2 quarts of oil for the lsx engine >= O lol

oh by the way it made some lsx engines starve of oil!!!!!!

Reckless
07-21-2006, 07:27 AM
We are doing some evaluations for Moroso on an LSx pan. If all goes well, it may be available soon. It looks like a nice unit. Steel with very sturdy flanges.

alky
07-24-2006, 01:23 PM
Just got my pan from autokraft. looks like a very nice pan and autokraft has great customer service.

ty1295
07-24-2006, 05:43 PM
Call C-Line 1800 OIL PANS

I gave him a ls1 block for another oil pan project. I suspect the same design might fit your application or very small changes and it could work.

Be best to give him a call.

justforfun
07-27-2006, 05:16 PM
pic of the Moroso pan

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?lang=-1&catalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=77722

does not look like it will fit a 1st gen though

helmet10
07-27-2006, 05:44 PM
there is a nice oilpan on ebay, aluminum canton.

67LSRS
07-29-2006, 01:30 PM
Anyone know what these pans do to the "integrity" of the bottom end? I have read where the pan is considered to be an integral part of the bottom end structure of these motors.
The Moroso pan looks nice but on my budget 650 bucks for an oilpan is not an option,that being said the autokraft pan is really nice and the customer service I received was just plain great.
The first pan must have been dropped in shipping and the rail was bent, I called Autokraft and they had a new one there in no time.
I will buy from them again.

ErikLS2
08-22-2006, 08:27 PM
I am trying to decide what to do with my oil pan on my 69 Camaro/LS2 as well. I do know that the factory oil pan is considered a stressed part of the block which also concerns me about it's role in the integrity of the bottom end. I'm a Lexus tech and their engines have been built this way, 6 bolt x-bolted mains, cast aluminum oil pan assy, etc. for a long time and my feeling is it's more for NVH (noise vibration and harshness) than strength. But of course, I don't really know for sure. Maybe I'll ask my 'ol man, a retired engineer, what he thinks.

shanekennedy
04-20-2007, 06:17 PM
what are you guys doing for a dipstick in autokraft pan?

ss dave
04-21-2007, 07:38 PM
I used a 6.5 qt Canton racing pan for my 69 camaro wet LS7. Available, and with remote filter set up. However with my stock front clip we had to notch the cross member. Fits well and I like the volume for the wet sump.

TT402LS1
04-22-2007, 01:44 PM
I used a 6.5 qt Canton racing pan for my 69 camaro wet LS7. Available, and with remote filter set up. However with my stock front clip we had to notch the cross member. Fits well and I like the volume for the wet sump.

Sounds like the same oil pan I had Canton make for me two years ago, Got a pic?

Ron

ss dave
04-22-2007, 06:13 PM
Ron, it is a Canton pan pn # 13-274A you can find a good pic on their site. It is made to fit a 70's A-body LSx swap, that's why we had to notch the cross member. Because this is a wet sump LS7 I needed the volume. I figured with the pan at 6 1/2 qts. the lines, filter, thermostat, and cooler it should be 7+qts. That made me sleep better.

TT402LS1
04-23-2007, 04:00 AM
That was the FIRST pan that I designed and had them make for me, which didnt hold 6.5 qts. (you should check it to make sure it holds 6.5 Qts.) I wanted a pan that held at least 6 Qts., so I would have a 7 Qt. system. So I had them make the pan that I have now which is the same except its 6 1/2" deep and 12" wide. It holds 6.5 Qts. Also I changed the front of the sump. The front outter corners were cut to to clear the frame better. (thats probally why you still needed to notch your frame.)

I cant believe they are making the pan I designed, and selling it as a swap pan. I know it wont fit a A-body. The sump is too wide, and the front corners need to be at a 45* angle.

How much did the pan cost you?

Thanks for the info! Ron

ss dave
04-23-2007, 04:48 AM
We needed to notch the frame because the lower part of the front slope of the pan would ride the cross member, the pan is describe on their site as a 6.5 qt capacity pan, so I just assumed it is such. But you're probably right and I should check to be sure. Looking at it, it appears large enough. Ron, if I had known prior that you were the designer I would have mentioned your name- maybe it would have saved me some pennies.

TT402LS1
04-24-2007, 04:18 AM
No, Im just a customer. Id paid $700.00 for them to make this pan. When I sent in the first design, I told them I need a pan that would hold at least 6 qts. And if the dementions wasnt big enough, give me a call. They didnt call me, and they made the pan. (the same one you have) When I got it I checked the pan to make sure it would hold 6 Qts. Well, it didnt. It only held 5 qts. I installed the pan to see how it fit. And the front of the sump was pretty close to the frame.

I called Canton and told them it didnt hold 6 qts. With alot of bitching, they decided they would make me a new one. I sent in another design, this time a little deeper (sump), and the front corners of the sump cut to a 45* angle. This pan held 6.5 qts. and fit better than the first.

I not saying you have the same pan, but it sure looks like my first design. And if it is, it might only hold 5 qts. They tried to tell me that with the oil filter it would be 6 qts., but I wanted 6 qts. in THE PAN. So they might be counting the oil filter with the pan to = 6.5 qts.

Ron

ss dave
04-24-2007, 09:52 AM
Ron, thanks for the heads up. I need/want AT LEAST 6 qts. in the pan.

ss dave
05-10-2007, 06:03 AM
Ok update on the pan. Ron gave me the heads-up on the Canton
LSx swap pan. With the time and $ spent on this swap I am absolutely, positively, without a doubt going to upgrade the pan. Got a welder extraordinaire, with alot of experience. He will modify the pan to accommodate 7 qts "in the pan". Got flare room on either side. He also knows some other "trick stuff" to improve the pan. Nothing in my swap has been cookie cutter, off the shelf.
Dang

TT402LS1
05-11-2007, 03:45 AM
Did you call Canton? What did they say?? How much did it hold?

Ron

ss dave
05-11-2007, 05:54 AM
Called and spoke with the first person to answer the phone. She stated that the pan would hold 6.5 qts WITH the filter and lines etc. She was not specific about JUST the pan. When we are done with the mock-up and pull the motor I'll fill the pan to be SPECIFIC for just the pan. Unfortunately I couldn't get her to commit to a pan volume.

chicane67
05-11-2007, 02:51 PM
I am not surprised that was said... the LS series doesnt require that volume to begin with. This isnt the 'old' small block from yesteryear. The total volume of 6.5qts to include the lines and filter is more than enough.

Wegner studied this for months in the developement of the RO7 and found that a wet sump LS only needs 4qts of pan volume with plenty of saftey room to spare.

Goatman
05-11-2007, 05:27 PM
Some of the Nissans only use 3 quarts and you can beat on them all day long....

No reason to use more than stock, as long as the baffles are where they need to be...

ss dave
05-14-2007, 06:30 AM
Thanks Tyler, I'll check in to it. If I can get away with 6.5 qt as the minimum- then the less is best. Less volume equates to less friction, weight, etc. all good.

parsonsj
05-14-2007, 06:47 AM
Wegner also told me that the pan integrity idea is a non-issue for the bottom end. The only reason for the stiff casting from GM is to improve the sealing surface (so it doesn't leak oil).

jp

ss dave
05-14-2007, 06:52 AM
Before we go further, indulge my ignorance- who/what is Wegner?

ss dave
05-14-2007, 12:55 PM
Thanks John for the PM. Wegner is a R&D for GM.

Brandon Smith
05-26-2007, 03:36 PM
what are you guys doing for a dipstick in autokraft pan?

You can use the stock dipstick

shanekennedy
05-29-2007, 03:54 AM
You can use the stock dipstick

i have a 5.3, which mounts the dipstick in the oil pan. i found the spot on the block where dipstick is normally mounted & drilled it out. all is well now.