PDA

View Full Version : general question

Rolling_Thunder
07-05-2006, 10:02 PM
alrighty.... planning my 496" build... 496 Mopar for you chevy people... compression will be 8.56:1 with a 88cc head... i am planning on adding a procharger down the road so I was curious as to how much boost I could run (ballpark figure) as i said... 8.56:! compression.... 88cc aluminum heads..... fuel injected.... 91 octane

blown69nova
07-06-2006, 03:13 PM
A friend of mine has seen 26psi (twin turbo) with his big block mopar reliably. He is using a stock 400 block, stock forged crank, Carillo rods and Ross 7.5 to 1 pistons. His heads are aluminum Mopar perf. castings with some hand porting.
See his car @ 2006 pump gas drags website, it's the "Oldspar Cutlass".
Thanks Steve

Rolling_Thunder
07-06-2006, 04:45 PM
hmmmmm so I guess what ? 12-16psi for a street car ?

DeltaT
07-07-2006, 05:59 PM
A lot depends on the size & construction of the intercooler you run, and the amount of cooling air you can flow through it. I highly recommend Corky Bell's book "Supercharged!" for anyone doing a blown motor. I must have read that thing 10 times before I ordered stuff, and 10 more times while building and tuning it.

With a great exhaust and the right cam for a centrifugal blower, I would say 12-14psi without needing to run meth. You need to look a what Procharger you buy - even the D1SC is going to be too small for your motor. I have a 383 Chevy I built that outgrew the Vortech V-2 S-trim as soon as I finished tuning it. You'll need something that flows air commensurate with the size, rpm and desired HP for your monster motor.

For tuning with EFI and boost, I also recommend Jeff Hartman's book on Tuning and Modifying Engine Management Systems. Very good chapter - EFI101 - that takes you through the process safely and conservatively to a great tune. I used it, and it saved me hundreds in tuning. Now my 383 is putting out about 740HP, but it's totally streetable - except for rear tire wear!

What engine management system(s) are you considering?

Jim

My Site: http://home.mindspring.com/~jim_fisk/id1.html

Rolling_Thunder
07-08-2006, 02:11 PM
I am planning on using Megasquirt.... This will be a long way off - as first I will be running the engine on a Demon 850 - then as funds allow make the fuel injection and buy the Procharger - slap that stuff on by next summer.