PDA

View Full Version : Extreme-G gets more "Extreme"

Nine Ball
10-27-2004, 12:34 PM
In a continued effort to battle against slow ass show cars and the reputation that pro-touring cars that are all show and no go, I've gone ahead and dropped the '69 off at Madman Racing here in Houston to have an all-chromoly NHRA legal (to 10.00 ET) 6-point cage custom made. I'm also installing Global West subframe connectors, a driveshaft loop, and 5-way cam-lock racing harnesses for each front seat.

This setup should be enough for me to play around in the 10s for a while. When I get the car into the 9s consistently (later on, with nitrous added) I'll ante up for the 10-point conversion.

Gotta represent for the Pro-Touring cars out there! :git:

Here are some progress photos, it should be completed tomorrow night. Hopefully I can get some good passes at the Thunder Racing Southern Shootout (Nov 6-7, Baton Rouge) with some drag slicks and runners on the car.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

indyjps
10-27-2004, 01:51 PM
you gonna loosen up that front suspension any for launch

Nine Ball
10-27-2004, 01:58 PM
For sure, the QA1s will be set at 2 up front. On the rears, I will try them at 6 on the driver's side, 8 on the passenger side. Thats how I ran them on my Formula, which used to cut 1.4s with a 6-speed at 3625 lbs.

Steve1968LS2
10-27-2004, 02:04 PM
So whats the cage costing you? Just curious.. im getting ready to do mine and a custom 6 point on looks to be around $1200 or so.. The cost of steel is nutty these days.. :)

You gonna paint it? Swing out doors or just lower ones that you can hop over?

I was tempted to buy a bolt in autopower on and have it welded in.. I just wanna drive it.. :D

BRIAN
10-27-2004, 03:11 PM
Glad to see a car on this site with safety in mind. A lot of pics of stock chassis cars with SERIOUS horespower motors. I would think most would add even more bracing to the unibodyalong with the cage work as the Pro Touring car is taking flex in different ways than say a straight line car does. Guys running 600hp with 300 tires nailing it in a corner has got to chip some paint on doors and 1/4s. Nice looking well designed cage!! Inquire about some rocker bracing to tie in those frame connectors.

Matt@RFR
10-27-2004, 03:43 PM
I really want to correct you guys in that that's not a cage, it's a bar. And it's spelled Chrome Moly. But I'm not gonna. :poke: :icon_razz (We need a "run for cover" smiley!)

RobM
10-27-2004, 04:28 PM
wow thats a super nice cage, makes me want to cut mine out and redo it. I really like the design. steel isnt too bad in price? i invested like 230$ into my 6 point and it was a kit. but it was mild steel not chrome moly. by the way i personaly think swing outs are a waist because it takes more effort to swing them out then it does to hop over the bar. but her im young so mable i can just deal with more

PS: do you know he protected your interiour from catching fire?

Matt@RFR
10-27-2004, 04:47 PM
RobM, no sparks with TIG. :)

Nine Ball
10-27-2004, 04:51 PM
I really want to correct you guys in that that's not a cage, it's a bar. And it's spelled Chrome Moly. But I'm not gonna. :poke: :icon_razz (We need a "run for cover" smiley!)

Actually, it is spelled Chromoly or Chrome-Moly. I prefer Chromoly since the material has nothing to do with being chrome.
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/chromoly

:poke: back at ya!

Steve, solid side bars, no swingouts. These 1st gens have a much taller door profile and short doors, which make them much easier to get in/out of with a roll bar compared to the 4th gens. I also wanted the car to be very rigid, and since its only a "fun" car, the permanent sidebars don't bug me. It will be painted black when it is completed. Madman charges $800 installed for a cage like this. Fancy swing-outs cost you another $400 for both sides.

Ralph LoGrasso
10-27-2004, 05:20 PM
Looks awesome, Tony. I didn't realize that a 6 point cage was enough for 10.0 ETs.

shmoov69
10-27-2004, 06:07 PM
Hey Tony, what's the story on the hoop? Is it required? I am thinking about doing a cage in mine, but I just hate to turn that corner! Even tho it is a 10 second car! Until they tell me to go home that is!
Jimmy

Matt@RFR
10-27-2004, 07:25 PM
http://www.suppliersonline.com/propertypages/4130.asp

http://www.etalloys.com/products/pdf_directory/main_collection/Chrome_Moly_chem_Compo.pdf

Middle of the page...it's bigger brothers 4140 and 4340 (http://www.smorgonsteel.com.au/metalsdistribution/products/group.cfm?GroupID=18)

http://www.exocor.ca/products/low_alloy_steels/index.php

Canadians even spell it right (http://www.howell.ca/howmetcr.htm)

Carbon 0.28 - 0.33
Chromium 0.8 - 1.1
Manganese 0.7 - 0.9
Molybdenum 0.15 - 0.25
Phosphorus 0.035 max
Silicon 0.15 - 0.35
Sulphur 0.04 max

Two different ingredients, two different words: Chrome Moly. :icon996:

Nine Ball
10-27-2004, 07:37 PM
Like I said Matt, it is spelled two different ways, but both are correct. You also listed more than two ingredients (HAHA)

Jimmy, the rear hoop wasn't required. He did that to make it more rigid/safe instead of just having the two rear bars extend out and bend down. This guy builds bars/cages for a living, and told me that the NHRA is cracking down lately on long rear bars with bends in them. To do it "right" without the hoop, those two rear bars would have had to come straight off the main hoop, thru the back seat, and into the rear frame rail. With this setup, the frame rail tie-ins can come straight down thru the package tray, which gives me all of my trunk space too. Also, that hoop allowed him to move the middle bar back 2 inches more, while staying with the lines of the side windows. Its about 50/50 on the function vs flash with this design.

Matt@RFR
10-27-2004, 07:53 PM
Picky picky picky. :)

dennis68
10-27-2004, 08:36 PM
:jawdrop: 800.00 INSTALLED , the local fab shop around here qoutes around 2K-2500 installed, and you need to leave it for a few weeks.

Matt@RFR
10-27-2004, 10:21 PM
Yeah, $800 is a helluva price. They're doing a nice job too.

Nine Ball
10-28-2004, 05:20 AM
:jawdrop: 800.00 INSTALLED , the local fab shop around here qoutes around 2K-2500 installed, and you need to leave it for a few weeks.

Damn! You should move to TX haha. Most places around here do them for $700-1000 installed (for a 6-point). He happened to have an open spot for me, so it will only be there 3 days total.

airrj1
10-28-2004, 06:02 AM
I never thought I would witness a spelling bee on this board. :pat:

Very nice setup. I really like how it is packaged around the rear seat.

whytry
10-28-2004, 08:17 AM
Me too, like the design of the rear bar.

Dennis - I know what you mean, man, I am looking to get a 8-10 pt in my Camaro this winter. I know of a guy that does them from his house/shop here in San Jose. He is going to do mine. $1200, complete!!!!! For a 10 pt and around $900 for a 8 pt!!! Hit me up and I can get you in contact with him if you need one too!!! Maybe I can get him to give us a package deal on 2?

Hey Nine - I thought you had to have atleast a Cage, and not a Bar to run 10's and not get kicked out at the track. That is what I was told at Sears Point, (Infineon Raceway), at the end of the season. I was running consisten 10's in Prelim's but when it came to brackets, 1 run and I was told park it until I get atleast a 8 pt Cage...

Nine Ball
10-28-2004, 11:28 AM
Brad, sounds like your track needs to review their NHRA rules. An 8-point was going to be required for 2004, but NHRA changed that last minute back to 5-point (no passenger side bar). The two additional bars on the 8-point just go from the middle bar joints on the main hoop, directly to the tranny tunnel. Similar to the 6-point.

When you run 9.99, you need a 10-point cage, which is basically the 6-point rollbar with the roof halo, front bars, and an inner dash/firewall bar.

Of course, convertibles have their own rules, 6-point needed for 13s....

Drewhelm
10-28-2004, 01:11 PM
Hmmmm, that shop looks familiar. Well, the Camaro on the lift in the background of one of the pics. Are they locate off Greenhouse Rd?

Nine Ball
10-29-2004, 05:29 AM
They are located in NW Houston, in Tomball.

Drewhelm
10-29-2004, 12:12 PM
Cool. The Camaro in the background looks familiar. There's a shop in NW Houston, Bear Creek area between Katy and Cy-Fair that has a car very similar on thier lift ALL the time. It's in a little business park off Greenhouse Rd, just north of Keith Harrow. Wasn't sure if they were one in the same.

Drew

Nine Ball
10-29-2004, 12:33 PM
That green car in the background is actually an LT1 firebird formula. Its owned by Rick Intrau, and he works at Horsepower Engineering (HPE) here in Houston. Madman did the chassis work on the car. They are hoping for 8s on the first visit to a track.

jannes_z-28
10-31-2004, 02:59 PM
Glad to see a car on this site with safety in mind. A lot of pics of stock chassis cars with SERIOUS horespower motors. I would think most would add even more bracing to the unibodyalong with the cage work as the Pro Touring car is taking flex in different ways than say a straight line car does. Guys running 600hp with 300 tires nailing it in a corner has got to chip some paint on doors and 1/4s. Nice looking well designed cage!! Inquire about some rocker bracing to tie in those frame connectors.

That is right, on my Camaro that has welded in SFC and of course solid body mounts it still have a lot of flex. I did experince this when I jacked up the car from the side with the jack on the SFC. It was impossible to close the door when it was on the jack.

Remember that chassieflex is eating horsepower!

Jan

TonyHuntimer
11-03-2004, 07:42 PM
Jan,

Who's subframe connectors are you using?

Thanks,
Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com