PDA

View Full Version : Spot welding panels?

nkopper
10-27-2004, 06:32 AM
I'm working on replacing the rear outer wheel housings on my '69 Camaro while doing a mini tub. The question I have is about spot welding the new wheel housings in. Should I drill holes in the new housing where I want the welds and plug weld them in, or is there another way this should be done? I think that is the only way I will be able to attach the housing to the braces on top (inside the quarter, by the seat brace) since my quarters are still in tact.

Andrew McBride
10-27-2004, 06:40 AM
On my outers I driller and spotted the lip of the outer to the inner, but seeing that you already have a quarter still on makes it tough. I ran a full bead along the inner to outer wheelhouse.-"the inner part of the tub" Since my car is all custom body work it didn't bother me to fill in that seam-but if you did that it would be more solid.

Hopefully someone can answer how to tack weld it from the top side with the quarter still intact. Now thats got me wondering? :hmm:

Andrew

68protouring454
10-27-2004, 09:06 AM
you only need to spot weld the panels every 2 inches or so, as far as the outer wheel house to 1/4 seam, i would use structual glue and glue the 2 together, this will provide awesome corrosion protection. they have glue's that have different open times, so you can get evrything lined up where you need it, also when using this, it is not good to clamp it tight, just tight enough to hold the panles in place, goodluck
check oput
www.fusor.com
jake

nkopper
10-27-2004, 09:59 AM
I forgot to mention that my quarter panels are very rusty and will be replaced at another time, so I will not be welding the new wheel houses to the quarter panel just yet. I'll have to look into the structural adhesive. Since I'm cheap, I am widening my factory inner wheel tubs, so I was planning on welding them to the new outers using the holes left from drilling out the spot welds. I will probably weld several of them closed, though. I don't think I need 100 welds to hold both wheel houses together!

Nathan