PDA

View Full Version : I freaking love billet stuff..

Steve1968LS2
06-30-2006, 07:02 PM
Was at two shops today that mill their own stuff. Mezeire and Pure Power..

At Power plus I got my oiling system.. they were the only guys that made a cool adaptor so I could run a remote oil filter.

I have been looking for something like this for a while. I didn't like the idea of tweaking a truck unit to work and I couldn't believe there wasn't a simple screw on method.

Found this from a company in Huntington Beach, CA, called Pure Power. The founder is a racer for the last 40 something years and they make a lot of mil spec oils and filters for the military. Recently he has started making stuff for cars as well (has made filters for govt stuff for years.. very cool stuff)

Anyways. We messed around and found this worked perfectly on f-body, vett and GTO oil pans.. Thought some people here would find this useful.

Their filter are sweet.. last forever (cleanable) and actually filter the oil unlike paper filters (didn't know that the oil doesn't go through the paper.. just flows over it..) These are used in many racing bodies like NASCAR and such. If you look close you can see the tiny rare-earth magnets embedded in the mesh. Anyways, I'm pretty happy to have my oiling system sorted out.

Oh, the filter bodies come in smooth and ridged. The ridged design dissapates heat out of the oil better. You can also get just a filter to hook to your pan, but I like the remote deal. Last thing.. the filter can be had with or without a built in bypass.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Cool macro shot..
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Madspeed
06-30-2006, 07:08 PM
That is some awfull nice stuff but dont you have a dana 60 to deliver =)
"wink Wink"
:3gears:

Steve1968LS2
06-30-2006, 07:13 PM
That is some awfull nice stuff but dont you have a dana 60 to deliver =)
"wink Wink"
:3gears:

If you think Im driving to Simi in Friday night vacation traffic your nuts.. lol

It's in the truck and will be there tomorrow morning :D

Ricoch3T
06-30-2006, 07:29 PM
How does everyone find this cool stuff? :).. Seems like by the time I see/find it I've already past that point in my build..

Was at two shops today that mill their own stuff. Mezeire and Pure Power..

At Power plus I got my oiling system.. they were the only guys that made a cool adaptor so I could run a remote oil filter.

I have been looking for something like this for a while. I didn't like the idea of tweaking a truck unit to work and I couldn't believe there wasn't a simple screw on method.

Found this from a company in Huntington Beach, CA, called Pure Power. The founder is a racer for the last 40 something years and they make a lot of mil spec oils and filters for the military. Recently he has started making stuff for cars as well (has made filters for govt stuff for years.. very cool stuff)

Anyways. We messed around and found this worked perfectly on f-body, vett and GTO oil pans.. Thought some people here would find this useful.

Their filter are sweet.. last forever (cleanable) and actually filter the oil unlike paper filters (didn't know that the oil doesn't go through the paper.. just flows over it..) These are used in many racing bodies like NASCAR and such. If you look close you can see the tiny rare-earth magnets embedded in the mesh. Anyways, I'm pretty happy to have my oiling system sorted out.

Oh, the filter bodies come in smooth and ridged. The ridged design dissapates heat out of the oil better. You can also get just a filter to hook to your pan, but I like the remote deal. Last thing.. the filter can be had with or without a built in bypass.

[/B]

Steve1968LS2
06-30-2006, 07:33 PM
How does everyone find this cool stuff? :).. Seems like by the time I see/find it I've already past that point in my build..

Well, in my case I get sent press releases and stuff.. The owner of this company came to our office to discuss oil tech.

Madspeed
06-30-2006, 07:44 PM
Steve you are right I am nuts
and no Im kidding I dont expect you to drive in that insane traffic
I can wait bud =0 cya in da mornin

Blown353
06-30-2006, 10:19 PM
That is a trick looking filter though and the fab quality looks excellent. What's the micron rating and total mesh surface area?

Sorry.. missed that.. it's 10 micron

LowBuckX
06-30-2006, 11:08 PM
$200 for the spin on type? Does it change the oil for you on demand?

vanzuuk1
07-01-2006, 02:36 AM
Steve , did you get my emails about the finned rear?

Steve1968LS2
07-01-2006, 07:32 AM
Actually, if you cut up a standard disposeable filter you'll see that the oil actually does flow through the paper media-- because that's the only way it's gonna work! Into the outside of the can, through the media, and up and out the center. Well, that's how it's supposed to work anyways. If the filter has an orange case then all bets are off. :jump:

That is a trick looking filter though and the fab quality looks excellent. What's the micron rating and total mesh surface area?

nope.. take apart a paper oil filter.. Remove some of the paper and try to blow through it. If it won't pass air then it wont pass oil (molecular size).. hell you can even pass water through it.

Most paper filter work by oil flowing down the sides of the pleeted materieral and being caught in the texture of the pleets. It's all in the marketing baby.. lol..

Most oil in a regular filter goes right through the bypass hole.. saw it my own two eyes.

Anyways, this was less oil theory and more about how cool billet part look fresh off the mill :)

Steve1968LS2
07-01-2006, 07:38 AM
$200 for the spin on type? Does it change the oil for you on demand?

See, I don't get this mentality.. oil is the MOST importan thing to your engine.. how much is a GOOD oil filter for your car.. $20? How often do you change your oil? It's a math game. This filter lasts forever and does a better job of cleaning oil than a paper filter. If you never drive your car or almost never change your oil then I guess in the end game it's cheaper to buy the disposable filter.

However there's also the fact that it works way better and could save costly engine damage.

He had a filter at his shop sent to him by Dale Ernhardt Jr.. the (mesh) section was crushed down. Guess the engine suffered some sort of failure and a large amount of debris went to the filter. It crushed down but held. They sent it back to him with a letter of thanks and $50 so that "dinner was on them"..

Good parts cost good money..

Steve1968LS2
07-01-2006, 07:40 AM
Steve , did you get my emails about the finned rear?

Yea, I replied to one of them.. the read is a Dana60 and not a 12 bolt so it wont work :)

vanzuuk1
07-01-2006, 10:02 AM
Thanks. I cant find a finned cover for a twelve bolt.

LowBuckX
07-01-2006, 10:32 AM
See, I don't get this mentality.. oil is the MOST importan thing to your engine.. how much is a GOOD oil filter for your car.. $20? How often do you change your oil? It's a math game. This filter lasts forever and does a better job of cleaning oil than a paper filter. If you never drive your car or almost never change your oil then I guess in the end game it's cheaper to buy the disposable filter.

However there's also the fact that it works way better and could save costly engine damage.

Good parts cost good money..
A K&N is $12 not $20
There are alot of 100k-200k 1970s beaters running around here. My winter beater is proof of it. The old paper filters did their job well enough for those engines.
Not trying to argue with you the filter is pretty till you get road grime on it. Then its just another part that needs polishing.

Blown353
07-01-2006, 11:43 AM
nope.. take apart a paper oil filter.. Remove some of the paper and try to blow through it. If it won't pass air then it wont pass oil (molecular size).. hell you can even pass water through it.

Most paper filter work by oil flowing down the sides of the pleeted materieral and being caught in the texture of the pleets. It's all in the marketing baby.. lol..

Most oil in a regular filter goes right through the bypass hole.. saw it my own two eyes.

Anyways, this was less oil theory and more about how cool billet part look fresh off the mill

Steve,

I am not knocking their product in any way but I must disagree with your surface flow statement. I will not argue with the statment of most oil goes through the bypass hole as that is 100% true if you have not eliminated the bypass and that stands true with ANY filter-- if you don't plug the bypass most of the oil flow simply bypasses the filter and goes right back to the engine. What I would like to see is proof of your description that oil just flows over the surface of a standard paper filter and not through the media. I don't know about what you were shown but if I cut apart a *good* disposeable filter (i.e. Wix, Baldwin, Purolator, etc, not Fram) you bet I can get air, oil, water, etc to flow THROUGH the media. That reuseable filter you have looks VERY good but sounds to me like they have used marketing in their favor by discounting the effectiveness of standard disposeable filters... I bet they used orange-cased filters too in their examples which are the worst filters out there. You told me "marketing baby" and I'm going to have to point that finger right back at them. I'm not saying that their reuseable filter won't work (it will) but it sounds like they really misrepresented the function and effectiveness of standard paper filters in order to sell you one of theirs.

The only time oil does not flow through the media is when the media is plugged or pressure differential across the media due to restriction (be it cold oil, too thick of an oil viscosity, etc) is high enough that the bypass in the filter adapter or filter's own internal bypass opens (assuming the filter has one); in either of those cases the oil doesn't pass through the filter at all because it is now a restriction to full oil flow volume. GM and other manufacturers put the filter bypass into their systems because they knew that dirty oil flowing through the engine is better than no oil at all. GM's stock bypass in the block adapter is a differential pressure bypass and opens at relatively low pressure meaning very little oil actually flows through the filter even when the filter is clean; most oil simply goes back through the engine via the bypass while a little bit flows through the filter to be cleaned. If you plug the bypass in the adapter (which lots of us do) the oil filter is then a full flow filter and it becomes critical to run a GOOD filter otherwise you will severely limit oil flow through the system. You then need to make sure you run a good filter with a high burst rating and enough media surface area to support a full flowrate and you need to make sure you change the filter at intervals often enough to maintain that flowrate since it can no longer be bypassed. This stands true of that reuseable filter too, if you have not eliminated the stock bypass in the system it too will have the oil bypassed around it, moreso if you let it get plugged or rev the motor with cold oil.

Once again, not knocking the product or being argumentative I just want to see these "suface flow" claims proven without a doubt. Sounds to me like a case of an overactive marketing department. I've cut up enough filters and worked on enough oiling systems to know how they work (or how they're supposed to work anyways, all bets are off if you use a junk filter or have bypass problems), and how the filter works is pretty cut and dry. A lot of people get tripped up on the bypasses and how they function, both in the filter adapter on the block and the bypass integral in many filters, but oil definately does flow THROUGH the media of the filter and not just over the surface. I am very open to seeing information presented that is contrary to this.

I am seriously considering a cartridge style reuseable filter such as the Pure Power, but not because standard disposeable filters don't work-- I want one because I'm tired of constantly cutting apart disposeable filters looking for signs of "impending doom." Having a reuseable filter that easily unscrews for cleaning makes the job much easier. I'm tired of slipping with the cutter or slicing my fingers on the sharp edges of a cut case. One thing Pure Power could do that would go a LONG way to convincing me of the benefits of their product (and possibly getting another sale) would be to post the full filtration efficiency results recorded via SAE J1858 (Beta ratio of filtration efficiency based on particle size.) They cite J1858 as the test method used for their filters but do not report the actual results.

rocketrod
07-01-2006, 02:54 PM
For those insterested here is a link to Pure Power's web site, http://www.gopurepower.com/

If my memory is correct I talked to the driver of the Mothers El Camino on the 2005 Power Tour in Springfield, IL and they run one of these.

While I agree with LowBuck that they are pricey, I think it is money well spent.

Steve1968LS2
07-01-2006, 03:10 PM
Steve,

What I would like to see is proof of your description that oil just flows over the surface of a standard paper filter and not through the media.

Have you tried? I had some paper media from a typical filter and couldn't blow through it..

If I can't blow through it then how can oil pass through it?

Most filters (from my understanding) scavenge oil through contact with the media and not actually from going through the media. This may not be true of all but it seem to be of a lot.

Im not a scientist.. this is just what I tried.

Steve1968LS2
07-01-2006, 03:12 PM
A K&N is $12 not $20
There are alot of 100k-200k 1970s beaters running around here. My winter beater is proof of it. The old paper filters did their job well enough for those engines.
Not trying to argue with you the filter is pretty till you get road grime on it. Then its just another part that needs polishing.

Argh.. it's not about looks.. it's about function. You seem to be of the opinion that if it looks nice then is certainly can't be functional. The looks is mearly a function of what it's made from..

I doubt racecars and such (like NASCAR) run this type of filter based on looks.. Anyways, run whatcha want :shrug:

Hidro
07-01-2006, 03:21 PM
Hmm Im confused... here they claim 30 microns and less filtering on the main page:
Independent laboratory tested and competition proven to be over 90% more efficient than paper or fiber filters in removing 30 micron and smaller particles (most harmful to engines).

And then here they say this on the tech pdf:
http://www.gopurepower.com/site/products/techsheets/filter.pdf
45 micron?

How can a 45 micron filter not pass 30 micron and smaller particles?
Sounds like saleman talk to me.
If anything id be questioning them on this.

Just thought id toss this out there.

Steve1968LS2
07-01-2006, 03:44 PM
Hmm Im confused... here they claim 30 microns and less filtering on the main page:
Independent laboratory tested and competition proven to be over 90% more efficient than paper or fiber filters in removing 30 micron and smaller particles (most harmful to engines).

And then here they say this on the tech pdf:
http://www.gopurepower.com/site/products/techsheets/filter.pdf
45 micron?

How can a 45 micron filter not pass 30 micron and smaller particles?
Sounds like saleman talk to me.
If anything id be questioning them on this.

Just thought id toss this out there.

I will ask. Could be that several layers of 45 micron media ends up catching stuff smaller like a 30 micron particle.

The test regarding the "90% more effective" was done by the US Postal Service and MACK trucks..

Madspeed
07-01-2006, 08:40 PM
Thanks. I cant find a finned cover for a twelve bolt.
Dont buy a finned cover for a 12 bolt buy a girdle cover it adds strength and capacity to it

Steve1968LS2
07-01-2006, 09:33 PM
Dont buy a finned cover for a 12 bolt buy a girdle cover it adds strength and capacity to it

Yea, like the ones T/A type.. I think STRANGE makes a nice one also.

DB Z28
07-02-2006, 06:35 AM
We use Oberg filters on all are engines that are run on the dyno and used for endurance. They seem very good you see whats in your filter.

Charley Lillard
07-02-2006, 08:25 PM
How many PSI do you think your lungs can blow ?

MarkM66
07-03-2006, 04:09 AM
How many PSI do you think your lungs can blow ?

I'd guess <5 .

lawbreaker2
07-03-2006, 09:11 PM
Those are some cool parts