PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for mock up material?

yody
10-26-2004, 09:34 PM
Hi, i am going to be making my upper and lower radiator hoses out of 1 1/2" stainless tubing, and on each end i will connect it to the rad/engine/pump with a rubber hose coupling. I will have to take my stainless tubing to a shop that has a mandrel bender. I need some kind of hosing for mock up, something stiff but still benable so i can bring them a model so they can bend the pipe to match it, i tried the metal hose for the smog from air cleaner to e manifold but that stuf rips and tears, i need something stiff that will bend and hold its shape, any ideas?

zbugger
10-26-2004, 09:48 PM
Have you tried finding a rubber hose that is close? Otherwise, I think it can be done with simple wire too. I'm just guessing here, but they may just need a line to follow.

Matt@RFR
10-26-2004, 09:53 PM
Allen guessed right....all the tube bending people and shops I've known bend the tubing according to it's centerline. Bend a coathangar or two where the centerline of your tubes need to be and there's your mockup.

yody
10-26-2004, 09:58 PM
okay on the bottom one, i think i need to 90 degree bends and then shorten them to the right length and have them welded together. i will try the coathanger.

dennis68
10-27-2004, 05:30 AM
Flexible preheat tubing for emissions (think mid 70's pipe from exhaust manifold to air cleaner).

yody
10-27-2004, 05:35 AM
sorry, tried that, read original post. that stuff rips to easy.

parsonsj
10-27-2004, 06:23 AM
You can laugh, but I made a mockup tube for Ron Davis Radiators using toilet paper rolls. Or you can use paper towel tubes. The key is to approximate the desired radius by cutting angles and joining the rolls together. I used masking tape to hold it all. My tube came back exactly how I wanted it.

When I made my headers, I used 3/32 welding rod to locate the tubes. If your water pump/intake manifold and radiator are in the correct position, make a couple of small pieces of wood, cut them into a round shape and drill a 3/32 hole in the center. Put those into the into the either end for the tube you are making. Then bend the rod to fit in the holes on either end.

Good luck,
jp

TurboLark
10-27-2004, 08:04 AM
Go get some flexible plastic vacuum cleaner hose. You should be able to find in the right diameter. Then once formed and held in [place, fill it with the spray foam that expands. Will lock in the shape.

CAMAROBOY69
10-27-2004, 10:31 AM
You could also use that flex exhaust material. Its flexible, metal, fairly durable and could come in a size very close to what you need.

KWIKND
10-27-2004, 06:04 PM
You can also make some nice bends with electricians grey PVC conduit. Those guys buy 4" and heat it in a cylindrical heater and it turns into spaghetti then a minute later its hard as a rock again in the shape you left it. I could see this working with a piece of 3/4 or 1" from Home Depot. Heat it with a heat gun (no flame) and go to town.
Good luck!
Let us know what works for you.
Dan

Blown353
10-27-2004, 06:18 PM
I use copper refridgeration tubing. Cheap, easy to bend, and holds its shape.

Heating/bending PVC also works great.

Troy

dennis68
10-27-2004, 08:45 PM
Well you have to use new stuff, of course the 20 year old stuff from pic-a-part rips.

68protouring454
10-28-2004, 03:58 AM
hey guys, good info, where can you buy the stainless tubing to do this?? anywhere online??
jake

pav8427
11-02-2004, 07:41 PM
hey yodi. as far as shaping the hoses, check with your local florist shop.
the stuff they use for flower arrangements forms and stays.
you can get it in almost any shape.
also anyone needing stainless round tube can check with any
dairy farm pipe line suppliers they use s.s. for everything.
people in dairy country might even find outdated systems in barns
to pilage and supply others in need.
good luck.