PDA

View Full Version : having cooling issues

maro2nv
06-29-2006, 05:43 PM
I have a small block 350 with a lot done to it. Im having issues with the cooling while im sitting still and when im on the freeway. I have the ron davis radiator part number 11-16CA6769 and a weiand high flow water pump. It wont cool down when im sitting unless i rev the motor to 1500 rpms. When im on the freeway about 3300rpms it just heats up and doesnt want the temp doesnt want to come down. When im driving around town it does fine. Ive tryed everthing i could think off. Anyone out there have any ideas. Also i was going to get the march pulley kit and wasent sure if i should get the kit that moves the water faster or not.

derekf
06-29-2006, 06:11 PM
Is the radiator fan driven from the water pump or is it an electric fan? If it's on the water pump, you may be getting insufficient airflow at idle - maybe take a look at your shrouding?

If it's an electric fan, you might not be moving enough water at idle? Nothing else makes sense for it heating up that way without revving the engine.

gmachinz
06-29-2006, 07:24 PM
I'd agree with the lack of shrouding causing your motor to heat up at idle-I would suspect the water pump is moving the coolant too fast through the radiator for proper heat transfer at freeway speeds. I'd swap back to a standard flow water pump and see if that helps. Are these heads of yours aluminum by chance? I had a set of Edelbrock Performer RPM's that had aluminum casting slag in one of the jackets blocking about 80% of the flow through one head...I've seen some weird stuff. Just for kicks, can you take a infrared reading of each bank? Or, use a multimeter with temperature probes to read the two head temps. -Jabin

maro2nv
06-29-2006, 11:44 PM
I have two 13 inch puller fans. It has a sealed aluminum shroud. They pull 3420 cfm. And no the heads are cast iron. They are the world products sportsman 2. My temp gauge is on the left head and the fan switch in on the right and the switch temp is turn on at 190 and turn off at 180. The temp gauge is right on with the fan switch. -Josh

derekf
06-30-2006, 03:22 AM
Does the fan speed seem to change between idle and 1500 rpms? Your alternator might not be putting out enough juice at idle to drive those fans.

CarlC
06-30-2006, 08:01 AM
Oops.

maro2nv
06-30-2006, 05:33 PM
no the fan speed stays the same.

porschev8
06-30-2006, 10:23 PM
How hot is the temp gauge reading?
Are you pushing water out the overflow? Does the engine ping? Do you smell coolant?

streetrod77
08-02-2006, 07:28 AM
We need an update MARO2NV, I would like to know what did you do to get the temp down. I'm in the south & I want drive my car right now because the temp here is hitting 95 to 100 everyday.