PDA

View Full Version : unibody straightening

Yellow Peril
06-29-2006, 04:34 PM
My 62 Nova has Heidt's Mustang II front end and Heidt's IRS. There are two crossmembers, but the front-to-back subframe connecters must be inadequate. They are not really a continuous straight run of steel. It looks like maybe a backyard builder patched it together.

I had a lot of fun tossing the car around a road course but now there is a subtle warp in both quarters and the doors don't fit right anymore. Dumb. Must have bent the unibody. Dumb. Is there anything I should know before looking for a body shop that can stretch it back into shape? Or should I just strengthen it like it is and live with the mistake?
Jack

mikey
06-29-2006, 09:59 PM
Look for a shop that has a computerized measureing system. The genesis or velocity systems are the best. It uses a lazer that creates a 3d image of your chassis and with the upper body measureing can get it back in shape. I've heard way to many complaints about the shark system it uses sound waves. Also checkout http://www.autobodyonline.com/ you may find someone from your area there.

aonghus
06-30-2006, 02:52 PM
maybe I'm special ed, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to search for a shop that provides unibody straightening... I can just search for autobody shops, not what they provide....

toxicz28
06-30-2006, 03:35 PM
Look for collision shops.