19topless69
06-29-2006, 05:22 AM
Thought people might want to see this. I bought a stainless
tank from Classic Ind for $189 and had it shipped to
Rock Valley and had them add a Walbro pump. The work is
outstanding and cost efficient. I know it does't have baffles
and sorts but my car is a cruzer that will always have a
full tanks of gas for traction reasons. Rock Valley charged
$520 for everything including new fuel level sensor.
Total investment $709- $80 (price I sold stock set up)
$629 . I put the money I saved towards my custom
radiator. This set up is for my LS2.

alocker
07-01-2006, 10:47 AM
Damn, I just ordered a Ricks Hot Rod tanks for my LS1 Malibu swap. I wish I would have thought of this or knew thats what rock valley charges cause they are only 30 minutes away from me. Good thinkin.

billybobdupree
09-26-2006, 02:41 AM
hey 19topless69,

when you said, "I know it does't have baffles
and sorts ", are you saying that they didn't use the (baffel)tray that the intank pump sucks fuel from as a normal in-tank pump? and the pump pickup(sock filter)is just sitting on the bottom of the fuel tank?
just curious because i am about to do the same to my 69 camaro.

19topless69
09-26-2006, 05:29 AM
Pm'd Ya

Midnight68
09-26-2006, 03:50 PM
I am also curious what you mean by it doesn't have baffles. I am getting ready to do any LS2 swap this winter and I like the idea of this tank.

Z06vet
09-26-2006, 07:12 PM
From everything I have read, its worth having a baffle. How much extra for them to install the baffle? One of the vendors on this site has a group purchase for the rick's tank with free shipping. It's not much more than the modified tank you had set up. If I'm gonna do it, I want it all right the first time. The baffle will help fuel pickup when the fuel gets low in the tank. Kinda like a baffled oil pan. High pressure fuel systems need sufficient fuel flow or it will bog on hard corners & launches. That would drive me crazy. I'm just being too cheap to lay down the $$$ but I think I will suck it up & get the rick's tank. :crying:
Scott

MrQuick
09-26-2006, 08:00 PM
You should have some sort of slosh dam in there somewhere. It will pose more problems with a low gas level.
Its not a big deal to have them weld one in since you are getting all that work done.

PhillipM
09-27-2006, 08:51 PM
I agree.. I don't care what the car is being used for. It needs to be baffled!! It's just the right way to do it.

billybobdupree
09-29-2006, 10:33 AM
hey guys,

mr. 19topless69 said that he never peeked inside the tank to look at the pump so he is unsure of what the pump looks like. he said he will always have a full tank of gas because the car will only be used for d racing.(?)

i would bet the pump looks like the picture i posted. it has a baffle tray. tanks inc. sells that one for $225 and it uses 'the ever so popular' walbro 255Lph pump. http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=84/category_id=61/home_id=61/mode=prod/prd84.htm
i plan on going this route but modding my tank my self.

i am curious to know what the rick's tank has in it for baffles.... and i can't find rock valleys web site...anyone have it?

maybe it's just me, but when i buy something like a custom fuel tank, i look inside it before it goes in my car. you never know if the guy that built the thing was on his last day of working for the company and may have decided to leave half his tuna sandwich that he was having for lunch inside, just cause he doesn't give a damn anymore. but then again...maybe I'm just paranoid...:dunno:

billybob

19topless69
09-30-2006, 05:05 AM
Hey BILLY BOB, I did look in the tank when I mounted and adjusted
the fuel sending unit, no problems with there work and clean. Around
the pump there is a canister, hard to discribe and not worth my time. I
didn't study it so I don't want to give out bad info on it's design.
When I said BAFFLES I meant ones that run the full lenght of the tank
such as the ones in custom tanks. I live in Chicago and the closest
thing I will get to autocross is some " on " and "off " ramps. There are plenty of fast fuel injection cars without baffled tanks. My Grand National ran 12.20's with stock system and Im SURE there are people WAY faster than that on this board without baffled tanks. The few times a year I go to the strip I will have a full tank of gas and again
my car is a cruzer looking for those pesky rice burners out in
the unicorporated rural areas of Chicago who need to be put in their
place with an American muscle car. What is "doing it right the first
time" is up to the person. For me- this is doing it right,stainless tank with a Walbro pump, LS2/T56. I have hydroboost with c5 brakes all around, do I think that people with less braking are doing it wrong "no"
Call Rock Valley for all the concerned people they will tell you the same,
when your down to a quarter tank and driving wildly you can starve
the pump just like any other stock vehicle. Hope this clears up
the baffle issue. The Tanks Inc pump will have the same problem with it's small tray if your tank is low on gas and your racing it around.
Foam as such in a fuel cell or a full baffled custom tank are the way to
go with hard driving. That little Tanks Inc tray is not going to keep fuel in the pick up if your car is pulling a ton of g's. and you have less than a
quarter tank of gas. If you do a search on the Tanks Inc Pump on
www.LS1TECH.com,many people had to cut a hole in their trunk, modify the bottom of the tank for more clearance and such. For me that was not the way I wanted to go. I'm happy with my tank a would do it again. I was justing posting pics to give people other options.
I have never seen this set up on any other posts so if it helps a
few people great . There are only a few cars out there done
totally right- the Halo cars on Lateral-g and Im sure" Bad Penny"
will be added to the list someday. Most peoples cars are never
"done" and that what keeps it fun and intresting always wanting more.

Renner
10-02-2006, 04:07 PM
Perfect time for my second post since ive joined.
What planet are you from? You have a new tank, had $500 worth of work done to it, and you didnt have them put in baffles? "Its a cruiser" Who cares. Doing it right is cutting no corners. Thats like having a motor built and not tuning it. " Ehh, it doesnt Die right? Should be OK then." Right?
How are you gonna floss the fact that you have an LS2-T56 combo, hydroboost and C5 brakes but you skimp out on the gas tank. You throw down the scratch for all that and you say ehh, its OK on the gas tank.
Let me break it down like this: Its like taking a stripper home, its cool for that night, but in the long term, shes gonna burn you.

19topless69
10-03-2006, 10:05 AM
The planet I'm from we don't drive VW's first off , but again whatever
floats your boat. How a 69 camaro compares to a stripper I don't
know. If your IQ allowed you to fully read and comprehend my
post you will see I said "doing it right" is different in everyones
opinion and is reflected on your project budget. If someone
has a budget of $10,000 vs $50,000 your going to see a lot
of things done differently. I'm an hourly employee and I have
only x amount of $'s and this project has gone way over budget.
People who do external pumps,Tank Inc, Impala plastic tanks
I don't think there doing anything wrong- they have a reason
for it. If your ever in the Chicago area I will gladly race any
of your bugs this spring, and we will see how wrong the car
is.

tomspo04
10-03-2006, 11:14 AM
If someone has a budget of $10,000 vs $50,000 your going to see a lot of things done differently. I'm an hourly employee and I have
is.[/quote]

Ditto!

The beauty of the hobby is that no two are exactly the same...and that there is no "correct" way to do something. Just keep it safe.

protour_chevelle
10-03-2006, 11:43 AM
I'm running the Tanks inc set-up in a stock non baffled tank but with the mini simp that is included with Tanks inc. I've cornered the car pretty hard on low amounts of gas and hard throttle and no starvation problems. yes its ideal to have baffles but don't speak from text book experience, You'll get burned and be viewed as a fool.

Maybe I'm just bitter that I, being a welder, put up with it all day. A no brained draftsman and engineer are hired to design a service rig with NO experience. Maybe they should listen to people with 1st hand experience eh?!

/Rant off

-Matt

Fuelie Fan
10-03-2006, 02:06 PM
Please don't start with the engineers vs shop guys thing. Work with em, not against em

Renner
10-03-2006, 04:04 PM
The planet I'm from we don't drive VW's first off , but again whatever
floats your boat. How a 69 camaro compares to a stripper I don't
know. If your IQ allowed you to fully read and comprehend my
post you will see I said "doing it right" is different in everyones
opinion and is reflected on your project budget. If someone
has a budget of $10,000 vs $50,000 your going to see a lot
of things done differently. I'm an hourly employee and I have
is.
1st of all, what I drive is not in question here. What you drive is.
Im sorry if Hurt your feelings by telling you what I think. Im not afraid of hurting someones feelings or making someone mad. I think what you did is wrong. Everyone round here seems to be on the "be nice to everyone bandwagon". Not me. If you painted your car and it sucks, ill tell you it sucks. And just because people jump in and say that they did the same thing or something similar, doesnt make it right either.
I dont really care how much you make or how much you have to spend. You should have gone the distance.
My final issue with you is that you immediatly challenge me to a race. I dont race, I dont build G machine cars. I build all things automotive. Its why I own lifted a lifted truck, a vintage tractor and a right hand drive volkswagen. Challenging me to a race makes you look like a one track minded fool. We are talking parts, not penis size.

protour_chevelle
10-03-2006, 04:35 PM
1st of all, what I drive is not in question here. What you drive is.
Im sorry if Hurt your feelings by telling you what I think. Im not afraid of hurting someones feelings or making someone mad. I think what you did is wrong. Everyone round here seems to be on the "be nice to everyone bandwagon". Not me. If you painted your car and it sucks, ill tell you it sucks. And just because people jump in and say that they did the same thing or something similar, doesnt make it right either.
I dont really care how much you make or how much you have to spend. You should have gone the distance.
My final issue with you is that you immediatly challenge me to a race. I dont race, I dont build G machine cars. I build all things automotive. Its why I own lifted a lifted truck, a vintage tractor and a right hand drive volkswagen. Challenging me to a race makes you look like a one track minded fool. We are talking parts, not penis size.

Your attitude doesn't belong in our hobby. Respect peoples belongings for what it is. You are full of disrespect and should be ashamed of how blatent and rude you are.

People build stuff how they want it. He was simply showing what he had built and I'm sure would take constructive critisism if it was needed(and I'm sure he would admit that he didn't know better, which isn't the case).

And the Engineer vs blue collar? Let me guess, your an engineer?

-Matt

Renner
10-03-2006, 05:15 PM
Your attitude doesn't belong in our hobby. Respect peoples belongings for what it is. You are full of disrespect and should be ashamed of how blatent and rude you are.

People build stuff how they want it. He was simply showing what he had built and I'm sure would take constructive critisism if it was needed(and I'm sure he would admit that he didn't know better, which isn't the case).

And the Engineer vs blue collar? Let me guess, your an engineer?

-Matt
Matt, maybe I have come off as a little rude. Thats fine. However, i am not ashamed. I said what was on my mind. You now veiw me as an instigator, and if everyone started bashing on me you wouldnt defend me. I didnt see you jumping in when he asked what planet im from for driving VW's. And thats OK. But I have an opinion just like everyone else. I just am a little more blunt about it.
If no bafflles works for him and he likes it, Great. But justifing it by loading it with saying your tight on cash, its all you could do, and it works for him shows that he knows there is a better way, and he chose to ignore it.
Im not an engineer. Im a realist. And apparently i have no place in this hobby.

protour_chevelle
10-03-2006, 06:06 PM
Matt, maybe I have come off as a little rude. Thats fine. However, i am not ashamed. I said what was on my mind. You now veiw me as an instigator, and if everyone started bashing on me you wouldnt defend me. I didnt see you jumping in when he asked what planet im from for driving VW's. And thats OK. But I have an opinion just like everyone else. I just am a little more blunt about it.
If no bafflles works for him and he likes it, Great. But justifing it by loading it with saying your tight on cash, its all you could do, and it works for him shows that he knows there is a better way, and he chose to ignore it.
Im not an engineer. Im a realist. And apparently i have no place in this hobby.

Your right I did jump in without reading every post. I'm sorry for doing so, I caught a taste of one of your posts and spend time around the toilet from the bitter taste:barf:.

You do have valid points but they do not stand very well. I bought a lower compression engine so I could throw more boost at it easily, knowing that I could have gone with a higher compression engine(with better internals but more money) and rebuilt it to be low compression because that is a "better way" to do it. Hell the "better way" with my low compression engine would be to rebuild it anyways but my money only allows me to turbo it and running lower boost levels.

I can only speak for myself, but I buy what I can afford and work with it from there. Thats why you see my car with its rust, its dents, and scratches, I'm ****in proud of it and the right people respect it. I can't fess up 20grand for a lazer straight body with jaw dropping paint. You might even see my car running around with 2 black fenders on it because I couldn't afford to throw paint on em.

-Matt

datsbad
10-03-2006, 06:36 PM
Renner, seriously that attitude around here wont go far , Trust me I know.

You should speak to people as if they were in front of you , not behind the keyboard.

Madspeed
10-03-2006, 07:17 PM
"Cant we all just get allong?"

Now group hugs and move forwards =):cheers:

Renner
10-03-2006, 10:20 PM
Renner, seriously that attitude around here wont go far , Trust me I know.

You should speak to people as if they were in front of you , not behind the keyboard.
I would not hesitate to speak this way in front of anybody. Im not some E-thug punk kid.

Matt-I guess some people dont see eye to eye. I understand your reasoning for going lower compressing. That makes perfect sense to me. Building somethin to use within its limits is wise. Thats the difference though. Low compression means less money, but moderate reliable power. High Compression means more money more power. That is very different than baffles in a fuel tank.
Ill be around.

protour_chevelle
10-04-2006, 09:51 AM
I would not hesitate to speak this way in front of anybody. Im not some E-thug punk kid.

Matt-I guess some people dont see eye to eye. I understand your reasoning for going lower compressing. That makes perfect sense to me. Building somethin to use within its limits is wise. Thats the difference though. Low compression means less money, but moderate reliable power. High Compression means more money more power. That is very different than baffles in a fuel tank.
Ill be around.

Your very right by saying eye to eye because I do not think my example is "very different"

Ohwell, the intention of my posts are not to make you tuck your tail and hide. Its just we are one big happy family here. Money doesn't dictate who our friends are, on this site. We have guys like me, pay check to pay check and guys that are worth millions. Any time of the day we treat eachother as if we are equal. It kicks ass. Doesn't happen much with online forums.

-Matt

andrewb70
10-04-2006, 05:18 PM
All this talk is pointless because the tanks done by Rock Valley do have a baffle. Its on page 2 of this link:

http://www.rockvalleyantiqueautoparts.com/catalog/tune_port_info_and_kits.pdf

I too had a new stock replacement tank modified by Rock Valley.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Play nice. There are ways to express personal opinions without being rude.

Andrew

PRRC
10-05-2006, 11:11 AM
Renner, Who died and left you in charge? every one has an opinion and your voice can be heard without all the B/S. If you think your way is better more power to ya. But dont rain on his parade. Its his car.His way! like the others said your not going to last long here with that attitude.

billybobdupree
10-05-2006, 11:23 AM
Whoa!! I’ve been out of the loop for a day or two and it seems all hells broken loose…well kinda sorta…:enguard:
all this talk of e-thugs, strippers, draftsman and engineers makes me wonder what the hell this thread was all about from the beginning!!! :screwy:

After my last post I e-mailed the source (rock valley) to find my answers…
they answered me the same day and said…

“ We use Walbro fuel pumps. The pump for the LS-1 will operate at 60-65 PSI and deliver 55 gallons per hour.
As far as baffling...we do surround the in-tank pump system with a spiral-shaped fuel trap. This will have a forward facing opening to help trap fuel especially under acceleration. There is no other baffling installed as it is a pre-made fuel tank. We do offer our stainless-steel gas tank which incorporates additional baffling for the more aggressive driver. This gives you better fuel pick-up capabilities and will protect from corrosion.
(3) Cost to modify a new reproduction aftermarket stamp-steel gas tank is $470.00 plus s/h. If you need a fuel sending unit, we have those for $40.00 plus s/h.
To discuss further, please call us toll-free at 800-344-1934. We would be happy to discuss details further.
Thanks-
ScottROCKVALLEY”

Mr. 19topless69, I must have misunderstood your pm to me. My “tuna sandwich” theory was all in fun and I’m sure you took it that way. I apologize for not posting what I found to be "fact" sooner than I did, maybe some of this talk would have been diffused.

thanks guys for the great pics of the tanks, i now know exactly which direction i will go with my tank.

now maybe we should get to the bottom of whats better, having your fuel sender mounted to the side of the pump or having it mounted aft of the pump as in andrews pic. :rotfl: just kidding of course...

trapin
10-22-2006, 06:17 AM
Thanks for the information Billy. I will probably be calling them this spring.

Chad-1stGen
10-22-2006, 09:58 AM
Not slamming the no baffles thing. Just thought I'd share that I had a custom tank (with one basic and inneffective baffle) made for my old 64 chevy pickup which I switched from injected to carborated a few times. In both cases I used an external fuel pump. However, with fuel injection I couldn't full throttle the truck below half a tank and couldn't even reliably drive it around 1/3 or below because it would suck air on even mild acceleration. Carb'd you never noticed because the breif interuption in fuel flow was more than made up for by the float boal capaicity in the carb.