PDA

View Full Version : What tracks are near the Bay Area

70ptta
06-27-2006, 05:48 PM
Hey every one. What tracks near the bay area do you guys go play?

Neil B
06-27-2006, 06:08 PM
Hey every one. What tracks near the bay area do you guys go play?

Assuming you're talking about the SF Bay Area, there's:

1) Sears Point
2) Thunderhill
3) Laguna Seca
4) Buttonwillow
5) Willow Springs (Socal)
6) California Speedway (Socal)
7) I think they opened a track in Reno too

70ptta
06-27-2006, 06:35 PM
so how does it work what days do they have open track and how much is it to run? thanks

MrQuick
06-27-2006, 07:58 PM
best thing to do is run with a group, like Speed Ventures, N.A.S.A or others. we will be running with a group in September up at Thunderhill. I will post up a warning as soon as it gets chiseled in stone. everyone is welcome.

70ptta
06-27-2006, 09:07 PM
Are those clubs you got to join

Damn True
06-27-2006, 09:50 PM
You can join them if you wish. But you don't have to be a member to run with most of them (BMWCCA and PCCA I think are exceptions) you just have to pay the entry fee which varies depending on the organization and which track.

jeffandre
06-28-2006, 07:40 AM
Check Thunder Hills website, they offer a few training courses that put an experienced instructor in the passenger seat with you a number of times, and you can change instructors for each session of you want. I will start there when my car is ready, just to pick up tips on how to handle my particular car and improve my weaknesses, then look for open track day events.

I like Thunder Hills layout as it has fewer areas to crash into walls, and it looks like the corners allow you to slide into dirt. The only wall is on pit road I believe, so I will be able to push the car harder and really get to know the limitations with less chance of disastrous results.

MrQuick
06-28-2006, 07:34 PM
Hi Jeff,
Walls..ahhgg, getting out of the muddy grass is alot more fun! LOL

jeffandre
06-29-2006, 11:05 AM
Hi Vince,
How's the married life? If you go to a track event at Thunder Hill this year I will try to make it too, just to hang out and learn. Maybe we can get Louie up there as well. Whadya say Louie?

ProStreet R/T
06-29-2006, 12:54 PM
Not that i'm trying to promote other sites, but www.corner-carvers.com always has tons of info on upcoming track events, and a load of good tech as well.

Rough group if your a little thin skinned but great info.

Infineon (sears point) is open quite a bit. They run the driving school, spec cars, and open track days a lot during the summer. Check the website, you can probably stop by any number of days during the week and let it rip.

If it is your first time at a track it's probably a good idea to enter a novice group and get an instructor to ride along. They will point out the "line", braking points, and generally let you run faster, and safer as well.

Just be prepared, hit a track day once and it quickly turns into a $1k/month habit. Darn cars are worse than crack I tell ya. :Alchy:

CarlC
06-29-2006, 03:41 PM
Just be prepared, hit a track day once and it quickly turns into a $1k/month habit. Darn cars are worse than crack I tell ya. :Alchy:

Werd.

SYDEWAYZ71
06-29-2006, 06:15 PM
Yo Vince please keep me posted on the T-Hill track day! I'm itchin

Neil B
06-29-2006, 07:13 PM

It all starts innocently enough with a track event. Next thing you know, you're welding in a full cage and going fender to fender.

Charley Lillard
06-29-2006, 07:30 PM
The Norcal Shelby club has track days and other makes are welcome. They do a fun event. Also the NCRC has lots of track events.. Do a search for them and check them out.

ironworks
08-02-2006, 09:57 AM
I go out and turn laps at buttonwillow and it is 175 on an open track day. You are allowed to take passenger. We go tear up my 03 mustang out there. Last time it was pretty empty but Hot. It is pricey but super fun. I'm ordering parts right now to make my stang handle better.

Rodger

ITLBTU
08-23-2006, 09:08 AM
I've been to Thunder Hill once. I was able to "ride" in the "C" group on the full track because of my past NASCAR racing experience. I was checked out by 2 instructors first to make sure that I could drive first. I had a blast! I took my 2000 SS Camaro. I can't wait to get my '69 finished and take that. I think it cost $180.00 and included a t-shirt and lunch.

65chevelleboys
08-24-2006, 09:46 PM
what are the dates ? i wont to go!

MrQuick
08-24-2006, 09:53 PM
September 10th is good . Unfortunately, my race season just went away...see you guys next year.

jeffandre
08-25-2006, 09:43 AM
September 10th is good . Unfortunately, my race season just went away...see you guys next year.

What happened? Car issues? Or just too busy? Are you going to be in the shop this coming week, I'm off all week!

Jeff

MrQuick
08-25-2006, 05:22 PM
yeah, we are trying to gear up for the new year.

Let me know what day you want to come out on...im there on Mondays. Do you have my number still?