PDA

View Full Version : Who makes a REALLY small cooler with a fan?

Steve1968LS2
06-27-2006, 11:07 AM
I know I've seen them.. small "radiators" for fuel, trans, oil with a built in small fan. For compact areas.

Anyone know what I'm refering to?

TSSPAYNE69RS
06-27-2006, 11:08 AM
Look in a JEGS or Summit catalogue. I was looking at them in a JEGS last week.

Steve1968LS2
06-27-2006, 11:32 AM
Look in a JEGS or Summit catalogue. I was looking at them in a JEGS last week.

Would the smaller one be ok for fuel? I'm looking to cool my returning fuel before it goes back into the tank, I could bypass the temp relay and just have it on all the time. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Thoughts?

10x7 seems about the smallest out there.. or is it?

Beeper
06-27-2006, 02:27 PM
Exactly how small are you looking for? The fans used to cool computers might work they're anywhere from 80 to 120 mm. Wiring one might be fun though.

TonyL
06-27-2006, 02:36 PM
we have one that is 6x8"" from a super bike. it's meant for water but we plan to use it as an oil cooler. From a kawasaki street bike. There's lots of them in all shapes and sizes.

like this but smaller

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Steve1968LS2
06-27-2006, 02:52 PM
Exactly how small are you looking for? The fans used to cool computers might work they're anywhere from 80 to 120 mm. Wiring one might be fun though.

Well, that might be a bit too small..lol

I was thinking to cool fuel returning to the tank.. I have found 10x7 with a 7" fan. Would love to find 6x6 with a 6" fan but I might have to make room for the B&M unit.

Beeper
06-28-2006, 12:57 AM
Well, that might be a bit too small..lol

Hey you said really small.:smoke:

BonzoHansen
06-28-2006, 05:51 AM
I think I saw them in the Earls or maybe B&M catalog.

Why cool fuel returning to tank?

ProdigyCustoms
06-28-2006, 06:59 AM
I run Maxi Cool coolers on my street racer on the trans and engine oil. The engine oil is about 10 X 15, the trans is 10 x 10. Both have cooling fans. They do a very good job, the trans cooler has to keep a 8" 4500 stall converter cool on the street, the engine cooler has to keep the oil cooled in a filled block. Both big challanges.

I am not sure how they would work on fuel, but one nice advantage to Maxi Cool would ge that they run 5/8 passage tubes, which will probably match well with your return line.

Steve1968LS2
06-28-2006, 07:15 AM
I think I saw them in the Earls or maybe B&M catalog.

Why cool fuel returning to tank?

Reccomendation from Aeromotive.. at the very least I will run it through one of the new Barry Grant heat sinks.. I thought the fan would be cool (ha ha)

Fuel pumped through a system and warm fuel rails can build heat and return it to the tank. This is especially true if you are doing a lot of low rpm cruising and you don't have a pump controler. After all your not using that much gas and most is being returned to the tank (your pump is going all out all the time) Keeping your gas as cool as possible is a good thing.

TSSPAYNE69RS
06-28-2006, 03:32 PM
:twothumbs Keeping your gas as cool as possible is a good thing.[/quote]

I'm not there yet on mine but I do plan on having a cooler on the return line.

Madspeed
06-28-2006, 07:58 PM
Steve Summit racing has a fuel cooler under part number FLX-4136 (obviously Flexalite product)
they claim it drops fuel temps as much as 80*

67Sally
06-28-2006, 08:11 PM
Didn't Jody and Scott design something for last years power tour? lol

67Sally
06-28-2006, 08:12 PM
You've got a big pump which bypasses a lot of fuel. Compound that with the fuel running through the heated fuel rails before being bypassed to the tank. There are a couple things that would help a lot.

#1 Get the regulator bypassing before the fuel rails. That way the engine doesn't get to heat all the fuel.

#2 You may need to install a pump controller on that pump to lower the voltage during cruise/idling conditions. This creates a lot less heat in the pump and heats the fuel less.

#3 Install one of these nifty cool cans on the return line to the tank to cool the fuel!

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Jody

here

67Sally
06-28-2006, 08:13 PM
oops

MrQuick
06-28-2006, 08:35 PM
ahhh, them crazy callege dayze.

chicane67
06-28-2006, 08:55 PM
I know I've seen them.. small "radiators" for fuel, trans, oil with a built in small fan. For compact areas.

Anyone know what I'm refering to?

Setrab (http://www.setrabusa.com/Setrab%20USA%20ProLine.pdf)... page 5 and 7, listed under 'fanpacks'.

gmachinz
06-29-2006, 07:33 PM
I build custom coolers using Perma-Cool 20,000GVW coolers (about 16x13) and I modify them for use with a 9" fan in it's own steel enclosure-it moves 2100 cfm @ 19 amp draw. Or, I supply the cooler with a custom DC Controller with a temperature probe preset at whatever setpoint (or use the existing FK-35 with jumper settings moved) I want for cooling fan activation. I have this design in use on one of my Montes for automatic transmission temperature control. As soon as the LS1 swap is complete in our '87 SS I will have a fuel speed/cooling controller as well as a fan control. -Jabin

Steve1968LS2
06-29-2006, 07:38 PM
I build custom coolers using Perma-Cool 20,000GVW coolers (about 16x13) and I modify them for use with a 9" fan in it's own steel enclosure-it moves 2100 cfm @ 19 amp draw. Or, I supply the cooler with a custom DC Controller with a temperature probe preset at whatever setpoint (or use the existing FK-35 with jumper settings moved) I want for cooling fan activation. I have this design in use on one of my Montes for automatic transmission temperature control. As soon as the LS1 swap is complete in our '87 SS I will have a fuel speed/cooling controller as well as a fan control. -Jabin

The thing is that I want SMALL.. as in 6x6 if I had my choice.. the smallest one so far is the B&M unit.. Also, I just want it to run when the fuel pump is on. After all, can't have the fuel TOO cool.. lol

TonyL
06-29-2006, 09:19 PM
the motorcycle ones I talked about are that small. 6x8 is pretty close.

gmachinz
07-01-2006, 10:03 PM
I suppose I could fab a heater core for you with AN fittings and enclose the blower motor to it...LOL J/K! -Jabin

myclone
07-01-2006, 10:35 PM
I suppose I could fab a heater core for you with AN fittings and enclose the blower motor to it...LOL J/K! -Jabin

Actually Jabin the heater core set up would prolly work out pretty well considering the small size set up the guys after. Add one of these fans and youre done...\/
http://spalusa.com/fans/automated/motorcycleatv_56_paddle.html

Just be aware that the OEM alum heater cores Ive welded on for other cooling projects were usually made of pretty crappy quality metal so they were a PIA to weld. Just an FYI should you actually attemp it.

Matt@RFR
07-01-2006, 10:52 PM
Steve, why not just have Ron Davis make you up something to fit exactly what you need? I know they make radiators for Banshee's, so they have pretty small cores available.

BRIAN
07-03-2006, 08:00 PM
In one of the Porsche mags they have an oil line that is approx the same diamater of common fuel lines, 3/8? You basically just run it as you would inline. It looks like a threaded rod but the threads are cut deap to help get rid of the heat.

You could also run a inline tranny cooler that is basically the same but has actual fins. They sell them with an fittings and a variety of lengths.

If you are running a/c there has to be a way to use one of the lines to also keep your fuel line cold.