PDA

View Full Version : No love from DC Controls...:(

gmachinz
10-26-2004, 05:33 AM
Well, it apears Brian has no idea of the power of the internet or the value of being represented at SEMA. I copied his email reply to my inquiry to have pt.com promote his product this year at SEMA and even maybe to donate a couple kits to a pt member or two to be able to post before/after benefits of his system. I'll see what you all think.

Jabin;

Sorry to take so long to get back to you on this.

I look at marketing a little different than most manufacturers in that I
prefer to let the unit sell itself. There are a myriad of advantages to
this. One advantage is that it allows feedback with regard to whether I'm
building what people want to buy as well as feedback with regard to the
quality of the product. If I have to give away units in order to get people
to recommend my products, then I'm evidently in the wrong business.

Another advantage is that the revenue is reinvested into the product, not
into marketing. Whether it's the quality of the product or the invested time
in design, revenue spent on marketing has to come from somewhere and I don't
believe that it is worth the tradeoff in the long term. Word of mouth is
free and seems to be working very well in selling my products and I think
that I'll stay with that method for the time being. Thanks for the offer
anyway.

Regards
Brian Baskin

nancejd
10-26-2004, 04:14 PM
There are a lot of businesses that run that way. The real question is "Does the product do what it says it will do, and is the cost worth it to you?" Personally, I wouldn't put something on my car because it was only worth it after a discount. I think it is pretty good service to get a response at all, not to mention one that is as honest as that.

69boo307
10-27-2004, 06:21 AM
sounds to me like you were just trying to get some free stuff. Not that I can blame you for trying :)

steve g
10-27-2004, 06:46 AM
Having been in marketing in a previous career I can understand his philosophy, not that I would always agree with it. It's beneficial to give away your products when you're starting out or producing something new in order to generate buzz. When a company becomes successful and sales increase, many companies don't feel the need to give it away. It's a question of return on investment. If giving the product away generates more favorable publicity than the cost of the product and results in increased sales, then it's worth it. Look at the companies that give stuff away to shows like Overhaulin'. Most of them are big companies and don't really need to give stuff away, but getting exposure on a show like that is way cheaper than an ad in a national publication. If you want to try to get stuff for free, show what the benefit would be to the company donating it.

Midwest Performance
10-27-2004, 08:56 AM
Jabin wasn't trying to get free stuff for himself that I know of. I suggested to him to see if they were interested in donating a unit to be given away at the SEMA dinner. This would give cheap advertising and good exposure for his product. Plus he should be able to write it of as advertising.
I don't know of a single person that has one of his units that can tell us if it is as good as he says. Until someone out there has one and has given us some feedback its hard to spend the extra money.

If someone has one please chime in and give us your thoughts.

Kevin

RatMalibu
10-27-2004, 07:27 PM
someone mind telling me what DC controls is and what they make? :)

68LSS1
10-28-2004, 12:52 AM
They are here. (http://www.dccontrol.com/index.htm) There was a GP in the works but looks like it is on hold due to lack of response.

gmachinz
10-28-2004, 09:42 AM
No, I was not trying to get free stuff-I thought being represented at SEMA would GREATLY enlarge his customer base with him not even having to be there. It is a cool product and Brian is not a bad business person just because he elected not to participate, it's just that I thought if we could get a GP going and see what it's about, then cool. I suggested offering one or two to a couple members either at SEMA or whatever and post here what the measured result are before/after the installation-that's all. He just doesn't seem interested. I will still purchase one however. -Jabin

TonyHuntimer
10-29-2004, 09:13 PM
DC Controls has a great product. The Pro-Touring.com forum is new to their products...as is the Mark VIII cooling fan. Their fan controllers and Mark VIII fans have been really popular over at Corral.net

If you want to see how his product works, you can go over there. They may have some information on their products over there.

I bought a controller from DC Controls. It's a quality piece. I'm going to hook it up on my car in a week or two. I'll let you guys know how well it works.

:)
Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com