PDA

View Full Version : alum radiator...with or w/o trans cooler?

engine
06-23-2006, 04:07 PM
At this time, my copper/brass 4-row and Mark VIII fan/DCC seem to be cooling the car pretty well. No high temperatures and no complaints.

City/traffic driving on an 85* day would yield 180-190* temps. I plan on adding A/C this summer, and I'm wondering how much extra heat that will add to the cooling system, and if my rad can handle it.

So I have wondered about Aluminum radiators, but I just CAN NOT fathom the idea of dropping $600 on a radiator with a built in trans cooler.
I'm running a mid-sized B&M external cooler in conjunction with the one in my radiator, and I figure if I get a radiator w/o an internal cooler, I should at least get the largest external cooler that I can fit.

But what about winter driving? Here in the north east, it can get pretty cold, and I occaisionally drive my car in 20* weather if I have to. Would an external cooler-only system be bad to the tranny in this situation?

It's a matter of a $600 or $200 radiator...

rocketrod
06-23-2006, 04:25 PM
I don't know what rads you are pricing, but I got and oversized aluminum rad with built in cooler for less than $400 from http://www.alumrad.com/. Personally I would get the rad w/ a built in cooler.

gmachinz
07-04-2006, 04:48 AM
Since you're talking about two wide temperature extremes, I would opt for going with a remote cooler w/fan and using an FK-35 controller for it, too. If you want to keep your transmission temperatures steady at a certain level, there's no better way. Obviously a big aluminum radiator will keep it cool in the summer but in 20* weather, a controlled fan would guarantee it keeps a warmer temp. for the tranny. Oh and btw, we are testing a new AC sensor for use with the DC Controllers-it will measure liquid line temperature and adjust fan speed based on that in addition to the engine temperature. Right now they are set to come on at 50% fan speed (like everybody else's controller on the market) but we are trying to eliminate having the fan on at such high speeds say for example when you are on the freeway and you have the AC on-most of the time you don't need the fan spinning that fast. It will be a harness that can plug into any existing controller and the idea is to extend fan life by not working it as hard when you are using the AC, and it'll drop a few amps off the alternator, too. -Jabin

Steve1968LS2
07-04-2006, 06:34 AM
I don't know what rads you are pricing, but I got and oversized aluminum rad with built in cooler for less than $400 from http://www.alumrad.com/. Personally I would get the rad w/ a built in cooler.

On a side note I used this company for my '69 Camaro and was VERY happy with what I got and the price.

Having the trans cooler in the radiator just makes for a cleaner install and the design works very well.

hectore3
07-06-2006, 07:39 AM
Why not just run an inline thermostat for your tranny cooler. And if you want to dump extra heat in the summer but get quick warm up in the winter.

My suggestion would be a Setrab style engine oil cooler with thermostat also. Save your cash and work with what you have.

Just my two cents.

BRIAN
07-07-2006, 07:52 PM
Spend the extra bucks now and you won't regret it. A B&M or any other name brand tranny cooler with a thermostat and fan plus the wiring will run approx $250 and up. Extra braided lines and fittings $75. Also there will be an an extra draw from your electrical system so that may be affected. So you are about closer in $ than you think.

If you are in NY you need a cooler that will warm tranny fluid up in the cold and provide cooling in the warm. Simply buy all inclusive deal and a $50 cooler mtd in the front. If it was a tight car you could run it underneat somewhere but again you need all the accys that add up quick.

Approx 1 year ago I bought one from AFCO and was happy with their price and service. They will build to your specs.

gmachinz
07-10-2006, 02:45 AM
I'm a freak for monitoring/controlling temperatures with both the motor and tranny-I made a kit for a '69 Camaro using a 9" fan with a steel shroud and I put it just ahead of the AC condensor and ran the braided lines to a remote filter on the pass. side of the support and those extended in around the battery location and up behind the inner fender and out at the firewall to the transmission. Normally I don't like mounting fans as pushers, but this worked out well with the Mark VIII fan as the primary cooling fan-it moves so much air that the placement of the trans cooler w/fan insured very little airflow restriction. Engine, if you want pics, email me and I'll send them. With a DC Controller, I like to see 160 degree transmission temps. Granted, with fittings, lines and the fan it is not cheaper than going with the built-in cooler in the radiator but if you wanted to control your transmission temperature, you can't do it. -Jabin