PDA

View Full Version : Camaro C6 Suspension

cykotic
06-23-2006, 07:51 AM
So how soon will it be before these company's start production on a subframe that accepts C6 components? I'm getting ready to get a subframe for my 69 maro, but I wonder if I should wait till they start on a C6 version.

TitoJones
06-23-2006, 09:15 AM
It is the same stuff for the most part. The spindle brake bracket is beefed up, and the bolt pattern became metric, but pick up point wise it is the same as the C5.

Tyler

cykotic
06-23-2006, 09:40 AM
It is the same stuff for the most part. The spindle brake bracket is beefed up, and the bolt pattern became metric, but pick up point wise it is the same as the C5.

Tyler

So technically really no reason to wait. Thanks man. I wonder how expensive would it be to build a subframe out of magnesium.

wendell
06-23-2006, 09:50 AM
Replace expensive w/ explosive.

I got ot see a new Z06 for the firsttime last weekend.(I know, I must not get out much...). Very cool car. The exhaust has little gates on half the pipes to keep it quite. When you get on the gas the gates open up to lower back presure. That and the fact that the hood is as ricketty and thin as a fully race gutted after market one were my favorite features.

Damn True
06-23-2006, 10:16 AM
Magnesium frame huh?

Light, yes.
Strong, yes.
Combustible, yes.

Not many of these left
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/06/maserati_birdcage-1.jpg

Because in their racing days when they crashed and caught fire they couldn't be extingushed. When magnesium burns it is called a class "D" fire. It is its own oxidizer and cannot be put out by any normal extingusher. The stuff will even burn under water.

JEFFTATE
06-29-2006, 06:03 AM
What kind of car is this?

Mean 69
06-29-2006, 07:49 AM
That's a Maserati "Birdcage," one of the most beautiful race cars ever made in my opinion. The frame structure on them is amazing, small light tubes EVERYWHERE to creat a light and torsionally rigid frame structure. So many tubes, in fact, that this is how it got the nickname.

Incredible car, just amazing. I have a pic of the frame on my other computer, I'll try to dig it up.

Keep in mind that there is one VERY, VERY important aspect of the C5/6 front suspension that makes the conversion (when done correctly) pretty difficult, you need to move the engine back a good 6 to 8 inches in order to clear the rack and pinion unit, if you don't do this, you ruin all of the incredible suspension and steering geometry that the GM engineers worked to put into these cars. Sorry, but that's a fact, Jack.

Mark