PDA

View Full Version : "A" pillar bars -yet another Rollcage question.

alcino
06-22-2006, 11:29 AM
I have some credit at Chassis works and was thinking of getting a cage since I like doing open tracks. Now my car is capable of hitting 120+ at some tracks. With no cage I feel that I am putting my self at a greater risk.

Now the question. Is it bad to have the "A" pillar bar go down in front of the dash. Seems that it would work way better in my car(A lot less fabrication and not much more intrusive). I see people go through the dash and then have a horizontal "dash bar" that connects the 2 "A" pillar bars hidden under the dash. I guess I couldn't have the crossbar if I went with my route. Is the crossbar needed to meet some safety spec for some org?

I mostly plan to do open tracks, little drag racing, and maybe in the future a SilverStateClassic(grand sport touring being my ultimate limit). I think all I am mandated to have is a nice rollbar with doorbars(I plan on 1.75" .135 mild steel). I don't think I need to go cage but figured it would be easier to do it when installing the rollbar and extra safety couldn't hurt. Let me know, any thoughts or suggestions welcomed.

69Nova
06-22-2006, 11:49 AM
When I do a cage I want to go through the dash. Steve once pointed out that that litte extra room can make a diffrence. Especialy when getting in and out of the car.

alcino
06-22-2006, 12:03 PM
I can see how going through the dash offers more room. But when I removed the top of the dash to peak at where the tube would go. I was going to have to relocate and redesign the structure that holds the entire dash in place. Plus my vents would not be functional, I would have to remove the heater and I would have to relocate my headlight switch. Seems like a lot of work to me for non dedicated race car.

Maybe I should take some pics to show what I'm working with.

Steve Chryssos
06-22-2006, 04:47 PM
Thru the top off the dash is way better not just for getting in and out, but for working on the cockpit--especially under the dash. Also, that allows for one less bar to contact with body parts. I know it's a royal pain in the ass, but you should strongly consider it. I want to relocate mine.

Speed Raycer
06-27-2006, 03:16 PM
I've heard several different opinions on the "through the dash/in front of the dash" debate. In front of the dash gives you shorter doorbars-less elongation in a side impact- and shorter downbars-better support in case of a roll. However, in a 6 point cage, it leaves the feet awfully unprotected in an off-angle collision, makes the dash bar more intrusive and makes egress a little tighter.

Now, having the bar go throught the dash allows the cage to use the A pillar and doorpost to its advantage in a side impact, moves the bar forward which helps protect the footwell and allows the dashbar to get tucked up away from the knees.

By all means, add a dash bar. Very important bar in case of a side impact.

cagedruss
08-02-2006, 11:47 AM
Pull the dash, insert A-pillar bar. Follow the angle of the a-pillar and run to the floor. Run A-pillar bar to a steel plate welded to floor pan and rocker panels, floor pan alone is not enough! Try to get more than 1 plane of attachment for the plate. You will have to relocate the parking brake mechanism for this also. Something else to think about.

There will be very little trimming of dash pad and you will gain huge amounts foot/leg access getting in and out of your car. Very important for the loved one in the passenger seat.

Fit the A-pillar bar so when you look from the side and the front of car it is difficult to see the bar. That will also insure you will lose limited visibility from the driver's seat.

The problem I see with the bar from Alston, it will be difficult to make it fit where you want it. Most kits are made to fit easily and do not always look good. Have it done a Pro-shop in the area.

Speed Raycer
08-16-2006, 07:46 AM
Hey Russ!!!! We've got to stop following each other 'round the web like this!!!

Mean 69
08-16-2006, 08:24 AM
Guy's keep in mind that Al is one of the folks on this forum that DOESN'T have a first gen Camaro.... He has a third gen Mustang, and the dash could very well be different and not allow the same type of installation.

That said, Al, I'd work to create as much passenger space as possible for you knowing you drive the car often on the street, etc. One thing you can do to simulate issues with fitment is to buy some PVC from Home Depot, and just cut it and tape the pieces in place where you think they might go. Heck of a lot cheaper than steel, it'll give you a cheap and easy idea. Also, if you are going with a store bought piece, such as from Alston, etc, you'll "get" what they have programmed for the bends, which may or may not work with what you really want to do.

Mark

gt1guy
09-07-2006, 06:48 PM
I guess I couldn't have the crossbar if I went with my route. Is the crossbar needed to meet some safety spec for some org?

SCCA... it is a required part of the cage (provided the class requires a cage)

NASA... didn't look it up

Silverstate...... Grand Sport only requires a roll bar, you don't have to run a cage.

The bar in question is a very important part of a properly designed roll cage. And given the reasons you stated, "With no cage I feel that I am putting my self at a greater risk." I think you've answered your own question.

Kevin