PDA

View Full Version : LED conversion

will69camaro
10-25-2004, 03:06 PM
I know it's been posted before but the search doesn't work on my computer (or atleast it's not coming up with anything). Is there a site that i can look up LED conversion for a 69 camaro. I know they do it for tail lights but what about the other markers? (side, etc...). I would like to convert my car to LED eventually but need a place to start doing some research.

Thanks,
William

907rs
10-25-2004, 07:57 PM
Lots of info in this thread:

http://66.70.234.198/forum/showthread.php?t=472

Fuelie Fan
10-25-2004, 09:14 PM
I saw LED bulbs at autozone. I think they even sell the low-load flasher that you will need as well.

It's just too easy these days.

Fuelie Fan
10-25-2004, 09:18 PM
do a search for "LED bulbs 194" on google.

Pro-touring towncar
10-26-2004, 06:32 AM
Tony H's book shows an install of LED taillights in a 1st gen camaro, 69 I think.

Tim

will69camaro
10-26-2004, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the info and threads...Like i said the search isn't working too well for me and it's frustrating how many times i have to log on to post or try to search (keeps logging me off and i cant get it to keep me logged in). I like the idea of making my own lights, might save a little money as well. What kinda LED's do i need to use and how many would you guys suggest for each part of the tail lights (standard non rs taillights). The place that makes the kits for 69 camaro says "buy 2 kits if you want the entire light to light up. Thanks again for all the responses and help.

I will be looking in Tony H's book in a few minutes, i just went home and got it a couple weekends ago so i'd have some good reading up here in school.

Thanks,
William

EVO
10-27-2004, 05:48 PM
William, Try this link:
http://www.ledtaillights.com
Ive been wanting to do the same on my '69 and this guy seems to have some custom kits that you could install yourself.
Hope this helps,
Evan Q.
http://www.evoshangar.com

Fuelie Fan
10-27-2004, 06:40 PM
http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?store=flipflopled&product=led+replacement+bulbs&exact_match=exact

$3.50 for the 194 side markers, $12 for 1157s. This is the first link I opened, and I think I've seen then cheaper (Like $2.95 for the side markers). You might be able to make them cheaper, but you'd probably have to hack your harness. If you were making custom taillights, I'd so go for it, but if you're using your stock taillights, the time you invest to save $20 isn't really going to be worth it IMO. Use your labor to save money elsewhere.

will69camaro
10-28-2004, 05:15 AM
This isn't really to save money, it's to try and custom make something for my car. I'm going to try and use the Marquez tail lights (not sure what style yet) but get black lenses instead of the red (kinda like the clearones that were sold). I'd like to have a nice looking LED display showing the red through the black lense.

William

I might sill just buy the "kit" from technostalgia but not sure yet.

Todds69
11-11-2004, 04:58 AM
I am researching to convert mine to LED also. It's kind of a toss up between the Technostalgia and the ones from king-cart.com. I am leaning towards the ones from Technostalgia. They will probably look better when you get the Marquez billet lights in as well...

CAMAROBOY69
11-12-2004, 06:55 AM
Yeah you can buy instant finished plug in LED lights at Autozone. Only about $15. Install in about 1 minute. Nothing to it. They look clear and as soon as you hit the brakes you better be wearing sun glasses because you will definetly see spots. "DONT LOOK INTO THE LIGHT!!!!"
I am going to mod the housing on my 69 Camaro to make them fit the way I want.

protour_chevelle
11-13-2004, 07:39 PM
These bulbs your talking about are crap. I bought some for the Velle. Their a 2 contact bulb. When my driving lights are on the outer LED's are lit and when I signal the middle LED's start to flash. You can't even tell that their flashing. Total gimmick and waste of money, Atleast for a double contact bulb. 1157 if I remember correct. Should work just find for single contact bulbs.

Also when I hit the brakes the outer LED's stay the same and the middles turn on. Makes no difference. 1157's work with 2 wire things(forget the term) driving lights are the dim one and when you signal or hit the brakes the bright one comes on.

-Matt

bdoobie69
02-24-2005, 10:00 AM
I was reading a Camaro Performers mag from a few years back and found a link for camaro led taillight conversions. It is from ecklerscamaro.com. The part numbers are 728200 for the 69 kit and 728196 for the 67-68 kit. One kit does two bulbs, so you need two kits for a car. They are 89.99 a kit, but they don't look too bad. They are worth a look.

C4Bird
02-24-2005, 02:16 PM
If you are a little savy with electronics, you could create your own. Below is a quick example I threw together. You could do the same thing with the actual lens, epoxy the individual LED's to the back, wie them up and you have somehting no one else has. I am going to be making completely custom taillights for mine with some 1" plexi shaped like the factory lens and 345 total leds to lightup the rear. I'll post some picks when I get them done in a couple months.
-Nate

CamaroAJ
02-24-2005, 05:26 PM
or you could do what i did, go to a truck stop and buy 4 rectangle LED marker/brake lamps and cut the lense off and unscrew the circuit board, i have pics of the install and they are bright as hell but i have no way to host them. there $29.99 each.