PDA

View Full Version : Champ / CV Products oil pan?

Samckitt
06-20-2006, 04:03 PM
Who has one & is still using the factory dipstick? What diameter hole did you drill in the windage tray?

Thanks,
Scot

chicane67
06-20-2006, 07:10 PM
There is no provision for a factory type dip stick. It has to go thru the oil level check hole or the oil temperature sender hole. Nor does the pan rail itself have a hole in it to feed a factory type thru.

Not saying it can not be done.... but the trap doors and the rest of the set up are going to be another challenging issue with doing a stock type dip stick.

Check out CarlC's (http://www.geocities.com/casanoc/) web page. He has the low down on the cheapest way to do it.

Samckitt
06-21-2006, 02:31 AM
You are wrong. The pan has the kickout on the passenger side (86 or newer block) for the dipstick to be used in the block. I actually called Champ pans after posting this & they told me to drill about a 1/2" hole through the windage tray & use the factory dipstick.

Samckitt
06-21-2006, 04:32 AM
Here are a couple of pics (If I can get it to work). It may be more trouble than it is worth. I'll have to look at it more.

CarlC
06-21-2006, 07:57 AM
No, Tom's not wrong based on using the pre-'86 pan. The pre-'86 pan does not have provisions for using a stock type dipstick.

Are there two bungs on the top of the LH side kickout? If so, one is for oil temp, the other for the oil level/dipstick. The main body of the pan is often a chopped-up stock pan so the relief in the pan rail might be there for the dipstick but will not be functional.

If you were to try and modify your pan to use a stock dipstick it appears that drilling the tray and tray mount will be necessary. Guiding the dipstick through the holes reliably may mean welding in a guide tube.

Is there any structure under the windage tray inline with the dipstick that is in the way?

Samckitt
06-21-2006, 09:14 AM
Ah I see. Yes the left side kickout has 2 fittings like yours. I am just going by what CV & Champ have told me. They said if I wanted I could drill a hole in the windage tray & use the factory dipstick. I'll have to look under the tray to see if it will actually work.

Thanks,
Scot

Samckitt
06-22-2006, 04:58 AM
Looks like I am SOL & will have to use the fitting on the driver's side for the dipstick. The wall that has the front trap doors lines up with the dipstick. :-(