PDA

View Full Version : car alarm idea...

gmachinz
10-25-2004, 09:35 AM
Okay, I've been thinking about this for a while now and I'd like some input. I do not want an alarm with all the blinky-blinky, honk-honk, "stand back, protected by...." -you get the picture. I want an unassuming alarm. If someone is really wanting to steal your car, and if they know you have an alarm by you activating it, seeing a red light flashing, etc. they may have knowledge of how to dis-arm it. I know we've covered this before and alarms are only deterrants BUT-I'm thinking of a two-stage system and here's how it would work: First, you have to have a primary system of defense such as honking horns, flashing lights, etc. but how once a thief can get in, if he has knowledge of where to cut power to the alarm, he can get inside and dis-arm it. Now, I could be wrong but every alarm I've ever seen has a siren for the outside-but how about mounting the siren horn on the inside-say way up under the dash? Sure he may get in but damn, with a loud-@ss siren blaring off inside of a sealed cabin-how the hell could he even think let alone sort through wires looking for it. And, if he did somehow manage to shut it off, how about using an ignition cut-off from say a Caterpillar? They run about $40 and use a special key which dis-connects the negative cable from the battery. You could run it through the frame and up your tranny tunnel and into your console. So, the next question is how to use the dis-connect switch in conjunction with a relay that can be triggered from multiple sources like the dome light, ignition lead to the coil, dash lights, etc. to turn on the siren from the inside too? I want their damn ears to bleed form the inside out with this design. What do you all think? Suggestions for a siren? How about a tornado siren? :bananna2: That would surely make them fall out of the car holding their ears!!! -Jabin

68RallySport
10-25-2004, 09:46 AM
I like it. Ive always had the same issue with anyone whose gonna try and steal our cars is more then likely to know how these things work, so a secondary cut off switch sounds good even if u cant wire them togther. Have them mess with the box only to find out they still have no power!

David

F70t/a
10-25-2004, 09:54 AM
I had my bird broken into once. after that i kept a pitbull inside, but i think the dog did more damage in the end :pat: Kept people away though

Radlark
10-25-2004, 10:37 AM
Try a company called Power Lock I have their system being installed on my vehicle as 1of 4 security measures it cuts all power to the starter and it is epoxied on to the vehicle I have heard nothing but good things about the system, I am going to use mine for a number of different things.
http://www.powerlock.com/cars.html

dennis68
10-25-2004, 11:07 AM
How about just wiring a charged condenser up to the outside door handle-they won't try it twice. :evil:

68 SuperRam
10-25-2004, 11:13 AM
My brother uses a high pitch interior siren - I think that he purchased it through parts express - very very loud and very painfull - he also has a police siren mounted under the hood - connect to the "horn output" not the alarm output of his crimestopper alarm - so that the police siren will only go off if the doors are opended or the glass was broken - and it pulses for 3 sec on and 2 sec off - etc. Works very well!!!

harshman
10-25-2004, 12:09 PM
What about a button of some sort that you have to press and hold in order to start the car? Have it disguised or hidden somewhere. I’m concerned about car jacking at gun point and what not. If you turn the car off, the only way to start it is with the button pressed – that’s a lot of time. When a car is hotwired is it from under the dash?

Foudie
10-25-2004, 01:26 PM
Harsh, wasn't there some kind of key on the trans tunnel behind the shifter on your dads jeep that disabled the ignition? I think there was something else you had to do before you could start it as well. Also if you remember, Danny's Nova had a toggle switch under the dash that disabled the ignition.

Matt@RFR
10-25-2004, 01:30 PM
Call me paranoid, Foudie, but I'd edit your post in order to NOT tell the entire internet where the secret button/switch is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Foudie
10-25-2004, 01:39 PM
Call me paranoid, Foudie, but I'd edit your post in order to NOT tell the entire internet where the secret button/switch is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL I will grant you that Matt. The Jeep I am referring to, as well as the Nova were both around when Harshman and I were in High School and have since gone through numerous different lives. As a matter of fact if you caught the PHR article on Harsh's Camaro (The same article Johnny did not include the pic of my killer 2nd gear brakestand ) The jeep is actually mentioned in the first paragraph. That being said, I think the Jeep is safe. But if you are interested, I know alot of the family secrets, and let me tell you, there are some bitchin' rides in that clan.

Pro-touring towncar
10-27-2004, 12:14 PM
Interior sirens or pain generators as they are lovingly refered can be placed in the interior. Also best to have a installer know how to install an alarm. While most just stuff the brain under the dash. Others take the time to hide the brain in other than normal places. under canter console, in the back, under the seats, Etc. but also disquise the wiring to blend in with all the other wiring under the dash.

For security many things can be done. redundant starter kills, multiple sensors, Etc. If you know what you are doing anything is possible.

Maybe I should offer my services for a price, install that is.

Tim

gEtyOpAPiOn
10-30-2004, 07:33 AM
where i live they just tow your car away lol ...no need to disconnect anything or break a steering lock bar i guess they worry about all those *minor* details at the destination stop...so i think if someone wants your car they will take it in some kinda special way you go wish you thought off before lol

justanova
10-30-2004, 11:41 AM
along with whatever alarm you decide to use, what about installing lojack too, I have been gonna call lojack and see If I can get the components and install them myself, due to my car being totally gutted right now I think it would be easier to hide it somewhere other than the normal spots, that way if the thief does get your car you can track it down.

protour_chevelle
10-30-2004, 12:34 PM
LoJack is such a cool idea. I'm going that route too. Another idea I have thought about is, electronic cut-outs. When you shut off the car open them up with a switch somewhere that bypasses the normal switch. That way your sure as hell going to be noticed when stealing a car with open headers!

-Matt

PeteRR
10-30-2004, 04:02 PM
The problem with Lojack is you need to know the car is gone. Then you tell the cops. If you're on vacation for two weeks, you're screwed.

There are systems now that have a GPS and cell phone built in. The car will page you if it's being moved and it will transmit it's GPS coordinates to you.

protour_chevelle
10-31-2004, 11:32 AM
The problem with Lojack is you need to know the car is gone. Then you tell the cops. If you're on vacation for two weeks, you're screwed.

There are systems now that have a GPS and cell phone built in. The car will page you if it's being moved and it will transmit it's GPS coordinates to you.

So how about you let us in on this security system?

-Matt

PeteRR
10-31-2004, 03:37 PM
http://www.clifford.com/matrix/gps/default.asp

http://www.hstcglobal.com/vtld.html