PDA

View Full Version : Long time member, first time pic post!

Drewhelm
08-16-2004, 10:56 AM
I've been a member of the old Pt website for years mostly lurking, and contributing when I can. Anyway, here's a before and after pic of my current project. It's come a LONG way in the last 3 years and it's now ALMOST ready for paint.

TYERFRYER
08-16-2004, 01:10 PM
Looking Good!

gt1guy
08-20-2004, 08:55 PM
Very nice.

Kevin

TRILOGYZ28
08-20-2004, 09:01 PM
nice birds ! :icon996:

Drewhelm
08-23-2004, 05:17 AM
Thanks for all the compliments! I'll definitely post more pics when I get some paint on her.

Jagarang
08-26-2004, 10:27 AM
Cool to find someone else stuck in a Pontiac frame of mind!! Not to many Indian fans these days!!
Car looks GREEEeeaattt!!

CAMAROBOY69
08-26-2004, 12:00 PM
Nice car. I would also like to see more pics. Or at least some pics in the sun.

Steve Chryssos
08-26-2004, 12:08 PM
Looks great Drew. I really like the hood. Glad to see you have another 'bird to keep you entertained while your 1st gen is in the works. I lack your discipline. I would have stripped the late model for use on the P-T car--even if it was my wife's car.
/Steevo

cjhutch
08-26-2004, 12:11 PM
I like that hood, where did you get it from? As Jag said, it's nice to another pontiac fanatic. What are your plans for engine and trans? Just curious to see what other guys are doing.

Drewhelm
08-27-2004, 01:47 PM
Thanks to all!

I have to say my car pales in comparison to Jag's!

The hood is a stock flat 69 bird hood with a 67 427 Vette hood scoop grafted in. The scoop looks like it was made for the lines on the bird hood.

Speaking of stealing parts off the wifes car..... I've installed 02 LS1 brakes and front and rear belts with 97 Z28 power leather front buckets and rear fold down seat.

The engine is done for now.... 71 455 bored .060 over, Holley SD intake, Holley 780 carb (future plan to fuel inject), 6X heads milled to yeild 9.7:1 compression, HEI ignition, Lunati Bracket Master II cam, Roller rockers, all braided hoses, cooled by a C&R radiator and backed by a full manual TH400 and 3.08 posi rear. Future plans include an OD trans and custom rear. Suspension is made up of Hotchkis front springs with guldstrand mod, 1 1/8 inch sway bar, KYB gas adjusts up front, KYB GR2s in the rear, and custom Eaton 2 inch drop leafs with all polygraphite bushings. Possible future upgrades WD subframe and vette suspension.

Here's a couple more pics.

Jagarang
08-27-2004, 02:44 PM
I can't find an "Embarrased" smiley???

Drewhelm
10-12-2004, 06:00 AM
This weekend I finished up installing the rear 3 point belts out of an 02 TA and started the updated headliner. Pics below. Headliner is now in place and the windlace was cleaned and painted last night so I can finish up the install it tonight along with the sail panels.

Pic 1 - Rear 3 point seat belt bracket....02 TA belts.

Pic 2 - 4th gen Camaro rear seat completely installed and functional.

Pic 3 - Shows headliner enclosure for the driver side roof mounted seat belt.

Pic 4 - Shows how the headliner looks installed and trimmed.

Drew

Jagarang
10-12-2004, 07:24 PM
Very interesting Drew.
Did you reinforce the wheel tub in that area for the shoulder reatractor mount?I just noticed your wheels...Are they Niche Pultec's? I was looking into those for a daily driver. I liked the Bio-mechanical look I thought they had. Cost was the final deal breaker for me, that and I could use the money on my bird rather than my commuter vehicle.

Pzary3233
10-12-2004, 07:33 PM
Sweet!

What is it with all the birds recently? granted we're all here but this is two posts about birds in here in one night for me! Maybe it's because I am looking for a reson to procrastinate for my midterms... but Hey the birds are more fun! I really like those 4th gen seats and the idea that the seatbelts are also being used. I'd love to see some more indepth pictures! I may have missed it but did you use the 4th gen seat belts up front too?

That motor sounds really nice! I am starting to gather parts for my motor build up... a small journal 428 motor... It should be a lot of fun when done!

but I am jealous! That hood is also one of a kind and looks really cool!

Drewhelm
10-13-2004, 06:29 AM
Jag,

No, I didn't reinforce the wheel tub. I didn't think it'd be necessary. I did look at the 4th gen the belts came out of and they are mounted to lighter guage metal than that of the original wheels tubs on our cars. I also noticed the factory front and rear seat belt receivers bolt through the floor pans (reinforced by the 1 x 2 factory mounts). My thought was that the weld would be stronger than a bolt with a large washer on it, but I know it's better to err on the side of safety so I will most likely weld in a reinforcement on the underside of the wheel tub.

The wheels are temporary. They are a Vault wheel. The Vault Jade, I think. I am planning to eventually change to a billet wheel, but wanted something to get the car rolling and look decent, plus, I got an awesome deal on the second set. I have them on my wife's 02 as well. Now that you mention it they, DO look a lot like the Pultecs! I've always liked they split spoke design.

Pzary, I have admired your car before. Very nice, as well. Thanks for the high regards. Hopefully, I can wrap up the interior and get all the panels and wind lace re-installed by this weekend. I'll take more pics in the daylight. Keep in mind the factory door panels and rear side panels will be temporary as I'm planning custom panels, console, and dash. Yes, I did use the 4th gen front belts. The retractor is mounted up along the roof line. I had to make mounting brackets so I used 1/8 x 3 inch steel flat bar to make the mounting plated, then drilled the moun holes for 1/2 inch bolts and welded the nuts to the top side of the plate. I then bolted the retractor on to position it up as close to the roof as possible and tacked the bracket in place. I then removed the retractors and finished welding the plates to the roof rails.

Drewhelm
12-20-2004, 07:25 AM
Here are some updated pics.....paint has been sprayed.... :)

Ralph LoGrasso
12-20-2004, 04:21 PM
Lookin' Good, Drew!!

Steve Chryssos
12-21-2004, 06:59 AM
Way to go, Drew. I love seeing major progress. (now we just need to work on your photography skills :eek: )

Drewhelm
12-21-2004, 07:02 AM
Thanks.

LOL Those were just quick and dirty. I was just excited to get the car out in the sun after paint and SOME re-assembly. I'll get some better pics sometime soon. :moon:

Raptor Pilot
12-21-2004, 08:08 AM
Nice Birds! :cheers:

Drewhelm
08-10-2005, 08:40 AM
Well, I FINALLY got some decent pics. Just installed new wheels and Tires. Wheels are Billet Specialties SLC-85 17x8 front and 18x10 rear. Rubber is 245/45/17 front and 295/35/18 rear. Fits pretty well!!! Makes the car look completely different.

What do ya think?

Jagarang
08-10-2005, 09:34 AM
I don't like you or your darn car ANYMORE! Allthough it looks friggin great and the two tone is bitchin, I just can't deal with you getting done before me! Please refrain from any further progress until further notice! ARE WE CLEAR!

By the way....
I was thinking of doing something along the same lines you took with your parking lights. Do you wire them to a propriety switch or leave them as running lights via the factory switch?

Did you use standard headlights or upgrade to a different style? Are you happy with the results, regardless of what you used?

Thanks for the inspiration and the pics.

Drewhelm
08-10-2005, 10:27 AM
LOL, thanks! Yes, sir, we're clear! hahaha

I actually used the existing switch and wiring as a switch source to a relay that powers the fog lights as running lights. When I turn on the park lights the running lights come on. The lights I used have built in signals as well, so I wired my indicators directly to them.

I did upgrade the factory lights to clear glass "Euro" style with H4 bulbs. The lighting difference is like night and day!!! No pun intended. You can see traffic signs from literally more than twice as far away.....so, yes I'm very happy with the results. I bought 2 different headlights, 1 set without a signal light and the other with a signal light. Sounds kinda corny, but with the fog lights turned on you can't see the indicator in the fog light. Of course with the headlights and fog lights on you really can't see either indicator, but with only the park lights on the outer headlight serves as an indicator as well with a blue signal light.

Drewhelm
08-10-2005, 10:35 AM
Oh, if it makes you feel any better....the interior is FAR from finished! LOL All 4th gen interior conversion....seats are in as is the 1 piece headliner and seat belts, but the dash will be a while. I've had the dash now for 6 months and have yet to find time to get it in! I have the Autometer gauges, too, but again....need that precious commodity of time to fab a panel to mount the gauges into.....so you still have a chance to finish before me!!! LOL

Oh, I'm humbled.....as your car has served as inspiration to me, and many others, as well.

Jagarang
08-10-2005, 11:45 AM
CamaroBoy69(Adam) has just started selling his panel to mount Autometers in the factory 4th gen dash. I'm pretty sure it's almost exactly what your needing. Check it out here...
https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9344&highlight=4th+gen+gauge

I've kept my factory driving lights, but have been looking for some sort of upgrade for the headlights.

Where did you buy yours?
I was interested in the Sylvania Xenarc setup, but I think the "Legal Beagles" went after Sylvania for producing them, so they discontinued the line before I was able to get a set.

Ralph LoGrasso
08-10-2005, 11:49 AM
Drew,

Looks excellent!! That's one of the nicest first gen birds around!

Drewhelm
08-10-2005, 12:01 PM
Jag,

I bought my headlights off e-bay.....both sets at 2 different times. They are actually imported and the boxes have some funky Chinese writing on them, but they are a quality part. They are glass NOT plastic. I honestly don't remember who the maker of the bulbs were. I know they have a blue tint to them but shine a brite white.

Thanks Ralph!

Drew

JLM
08-10-2005, 05:01 PM
you fit a 295 under the rear? How is the fitment, any rubbing? I could probably get a 315 555RII under the rear if you're fitting a 295 on a 10" wheel. The nittos tend to run a bit narrow.

Wait, you're not mini-tubbed are you?

Hammered
08-10-2005, 06:04 PM
Drew,

Your car looks great-it's always good to see another FGF brought to life. I'm also interested in upgrading headlights if you find any more info.

John

steve g
08-10-2005, 06:13 PM
Thanks for posting Drew. Gives us other bird owners something for inspiration. The stance looks great. How'd you fit the 295's under there?

Jag -- I've seen your car in Frank's shop and it is pretty awesome as well. When you're done maybe Frank can have a garage sale with your left over parts. I could use a few ;-)

rickk
08-10-2005, 06:38 PM
nice chicken , keep the good work.

rick kirkindall:drool:

Drewhelm
08-11-2005, 05:31 AM
The 295 fits easily! No it's not mini-tubbed and there is literally 1/2 inch clearance between the inner fender and the outer fender lip with the outer lip rolled. You have to nail the backspacing to perfectly center the tire in the wheel well. Mine comes out to exactly 6.625 inches of backspacing on the 18x10 wheel. The tire is perfectly centered between inner and outer wheel wells with absolutely NO rubbing.

JLM
08-11-2005, 10:58 AM
Thanks drew, that's about the best news I've heard all day.

I may have to message the lip around the wheel well a little but if you're fitting a 295 section width tire on a 10" wheel I beleive I should be able to get a 315 nitto 555R or RII on the back without problems.

They run narrow enough that they fit on a 9" wheel. I'm going to try them on a 10" wheel then. Worst case scenario is the section width is too much and I'll need to sell them. With those tires that won't be much of an issue though.

Drewhelm
08-11-2005, 01:56 PM
Glad I could help. I know someone who mini-tubbed his 69 bird and is going with a 315 BFG drag radial on an 11 inch wheel. I don't think it would fit my car on an 11 inch wheel, but could probably squeeze one in on a 10 inch wheel! You just have to nail the backspacing.....and remember EVERY car is slightly different so measure, measure, and measure again!!!

Drewhelm
07-03-2006, 06:41 AM
Well, it's been a LONG time since I posted any updates to this thread, so let's bring this thing back to life!

The 4th gen dash is installed with all the gauges wired and functional. I wired the 4th gen headlight switch to retain the factory headlight dimmer. I also wired the 4th gen interior dimmer switch to control the gauge lights and the dome light like it should. It took some doing to fit the 2 5/8 inch gauges in the 4th gen AC control opening, but I got it done and fabbed the necessary aluminum filler pieces. the dash cluster was fabbed out of aluminum sheet. I'll post some pics soon.

In the meantime, a little on the recent engine upgrade. I took the old motor out and replaced the stock 6X-8 heads with a set of fully ported 6X-4 heads. I did all the port work and had the valve job and setup done by a reputable machine shop. The heads have Comp 995 springs, stainless 2.11 and enlarged 1.77 valves, posi seals, 10 degree locks and comp retainers. I had the heads flowed after I finished porting and the 3 angle valve job was done. 258int/232exh through .600 lift. Flow was still increasing from .550 to .600, but they stopped testing at .600. I shoudl have had them go to .650 because after installing the HS 1.65 roller rockers (actually measure 1.72) the lift is .611 and .630.

Cam is an Ultradyne solid with 255/260 duration @.050. Lifters are Crower solids.

Air and fuel flow through a Holley 780 vacuum secondary carb, ported and gasket matched Holley SD intake.

Exhaust exits through Hedman ceramic coated headers with 1 3/4 inch primaries into 3 inch collectors, 3 inch X pipe and Goerlich Xlerators.

It has the full manual TH400 back in for now, but will be getting a healthy 700R4 as soon as money and time allow.

Here are a couple videos from this weekend. Still have a little tuning to do, but difference in power is phenominal!!!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=480720439913925047

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1827055939939894487

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4846084406326289948

gsxrken
07-03-2006, 06:43 PM
Very nice car. I have always liked Firebirds and have some great high-school memories from my best friend's 68. His car was linden green and had the 350HO motor but the twin scoop "400 hood". We were just learning about cars and actually thought that when we floored the car, the kick in the ass was the 4 barrels tipping in... when in fact it was the powerglide kicking down into Low/first gear. I remember another time racing along side a brand-new Turbo Trans Am on Interstate 95 in CT, speeds of probably 120 or so, and looking at Jimmy's hands blurring on the shimmying steering wheel from the shot front suspension. Stupid, but fun, and look at me talking about it almost 25 years later. :)
There are relatively few of these cars around from what I can tell. Thanks for posting!

MrQuick
07-03-2006, 06:54 PM
awww that sounds awesome. We need some 3500 rpm drive by's please. Inspiration for me. Thank you.

zbugger
07-03-2006, 07:26 PM
Damn.... That second video smacked me in the face compared to the first one. Sounds awesome!!! I absolutely would not mind getting stuck behind you in traffic. That's great freakin' music!!! And yes, I would second the driving videos.

Drewhelm
07-04-2006, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the comments. If it stops raining long enough I'll take her out for a spin and get some higher rpm drive-by's. :)

May have to wait until this weekend.

zman1969
07-05-2006, 12:06 PM
like the dude in the dodge Hemi comercial says " SWEET" :hail:

Drewhelm
10-10-2006, 06:57 AM
New videos.....FINALLY got a drive-by video. Enjoy!

3/4 throttle acceleration....still has some power to dial in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7iH1_xI24k

Slow roll into throttle driveby....man I never knew how it sounded
from outside the car...HORY CLAP, I love the sound!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnWx1-DH2Mk

ProTouring442
10-11-2006, 04:13 AM
Very Nice!!!

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
'72 442 "Inamorata"
www.fquick.com/ProTouring442 (http://www.fquick.com/ProTouring442)

JLM
10-11-2006, 06:24 AM
As always, very nice Drew.

I thought I remember you saying you were running a 455 in your bird. What bump stick are you running in it. Can't say that I've ever heard a 455 sound quite like that.

Drewhelm
10-11-2006, 06:40 AM
JLM, Thanks! You are correct it's a 455 with an Ultradyne Solid 255/262 duration @ .050. Lift with the HS 1.65 Roller Rockers (actually 1.72) is .611 and .630.

It sounds different than EVERY 455 I've ever heard, too. It must be the combination of port work in the heads, the headers, X-pipe, and the goerlich's. With open headers or even the open x-pipe the exhaust note is so crisp it hurts. The goerlich's don't do a LOT, but they definitely tame it down.....some.

JLM
10-11-2006, 10:49 AM
I had a feeling you might have had a solid in there.

You've definitely got some money wrapped up in the valve train.

You've got a crap load of lift working for you, are you on aftermarket heads? E-Heads, KRE's?

I'm just running a high comp #62 headed 455 with what I believe to be something similar to the 041 cam...the compression is where I make my power.

Drewhelm
10-11-2006, 06:08 PM
I WISH I had a set of KRE high ports, but no.....just a self ported set of 6X-4s with 2.11 and larger than stock 1.77 stainless valves, comp cams 995 springs, retainers and 10 degree locks. They flowed 258 intake and 233 exhaust with less than 2% difference across ports.....I have about 60 hours in them. I spent a LOT of time making sure everything flowed smoothly and consistency was carried from port to port. Exhaust ports and bowls are polished to a mirror finish, too.

Chambers have been smoothed and polished to a mirror finish. Compression is right at 10:1.

I spent a LOT of time researching before buying any parts and then I spent quote a bit of time setting them up. They should be able to safely handle .680 lift.

A #62 headed 455 should work pretty well, too!

JLM
10-12-2006, 07:02 AM
It scoots yes, but if the tune is out just a hair the thing pings a decent amount and starts running hot.

11:1+ compression, iron block and heads, and pump gas aren't a good mix.

I'm looking for a set of big valve heads with 100+cc chambers to get the compression just south of 9:1 (I don't have a zero decked block).

From there I'd like to go with a set of Turbo Pontiacs TT headers with twin t-60:1's...That may be pie in the sky right now though.

Drewhelm
10-13-2006, 07:06 AM
Yeah, having to mix or buy race gas gets old.....fast! I built this one to run on premium. :)

Twin turbo's huh? I've thought about doing that, as well. Need either different heads or pistons, and EFI to do it right, though. Maybe someday on the distant future....

Drewhelm
05-25-2012, 12:25 PM
Well, it has been a LONG time since I posted or updated this thread. The car has undergone a significant amount of change over the last 2 years. Interior was redone in all black. 10 point cage added to the car, relocated battery to the trunk, updated front suspension with DSE upper and lower control arms, changed to a 3.42 posi rear end, and finally name the LS swap. The car now boasts a 6.0L iron block with forged rotating assembly, EPP Forced induction cam, heavily ported heads and aluminum intake, twin 62mm turbos (front mounted), with a big intercooler and meth injection. On pump gas (before the meth) and 7 pounds of boost the car made 669 to the ground. I fabricated the turbo headers and did all the swap and wiring. The old manual TH400 Pontiac trans was used for parts to build a stout Chevy TH400. Once I get used to driving it it will be time to turn up the boost.598155981459813