PDA

View Full Version : It can be done.....late model fuel tank swap

69Myway
10-25-2004, 07:45 AM
Here is the 411.

I pulled a plastic tank from a 1996 Caprice and fit it into my 69 Camaro.

First, I took a heat gun and wratchet strap with a 2" metal pipe. I gently heated the rear of the tank to get extra clearance on the Ford 9" housing. I did this by warming the area up and wratcheting down on the strap and rolling the pipe. This moved the tank in a solid 1.5" in a reverse hump. I let that cool, then pressure tested.

Next, I cut the hump out of the floor of the Caprice. This gives room for the top of the tank and electric fuel pump unit to clear on the Caprice. I cut a hole in the floor of the camaro trunk and fit the hump over the hole. Now...I had a choice to weld it solid or make it removeable. I chose the removeable option by drilling and welding 1/4 x 20 nut plates in the floor and I will seal with some putty.

Next, I used the dremel to open up the 69 Camaro strap mounts near the rear body panel and drilled a hole through each side of each rear strap mount. This allowed the caprice strap to slip in there with a 5" side bolt on each side.

I drilled holes in the trunk floor and dropped a stud down in the rear. I will being reinforcing this with 1/4" plate on each side to make sure it can support the weight.

I next slid the tank in place and buttoned up the Caprice strap. It is a tight fit, but I have at least 1" clearance behind the pumpkin and on each side of the spring. I will have to dump my exhaust down in front of the rear axle but other than that she is in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, you then cut the neck down and slip it in place.

This gives me a fully stock OEM pump and lines. I swiped the fuel lines off the caprice and will be looking at running those straight into the LS1 intake. I will be running a 97 Vette style fuel rail with a return to wrap it all up.

I am a VERY happy man and glad to tell you I saved a bundle vs. a custom tank...and have all the saftey of a 96 tank.

Oh...it looks freakin cool from behind because it drops down a tad and fills that void from spring to spring. It actually makes the rear tires look larger in my opinion.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

I will upload pics later. Right now I need to clean up all the mess I have made creating this monster.

Q ship
10-26-2004, 07:18 AM
Congrats Chris. I remember thinking "no friggin' way!" when you first asked about this. I would be real observant the first few times you drive it though, rear axles move around more than you think!

CAMAROBOY69
10-26-2004, 10:01 AM
That is the kind of creativity that I love!!! Great job Chris!! Another example of how "NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE WITH CARS!!!" :icon996:

69Myway
10-26-2004, 11:51 AM
Thanks guys. I will post pics soon.

nitrovette
10-31-2004, 06:23 AM
chris im still looking to find something for the vette,ive been out scouring the yards but nothing even comes close to fitting up in there,i can try and use a cell but trying to stay with an oem piece,and use the lines and sending unit.Cant wait to see your pics of the camaro.

69Myway
10-31-2004, 07:52 AM
chris im still looking to find something for the vette,ive been out scouring the yards but nothing even comes close to fitting up in there,i can try and use a cell but trying to stay with an oem piece,and use the lines and sending unit.Cant wait to see your pics of the camaro.
I have a tank out of an 81 right now on ebay. It might work as you can open the top and drop an OEM type pump in there.

nitrovette
10-31-2004, 12:33 PM
chris

Will the 81 tank fit in the 73 spot because of the back window on a 81?Could you take a measurement for me? Pat

69Myway
10-31-2004, 03:57 PM
chris

Will the 81 tank fit in the 73 spot because of the back window on a 81?Could you take a measurement for me? Pat
Just measured it up against a 71 model. Does not look like it will work without doing some mods like dropping the hold down bracket lower and tilting it forward.

nitrovette
10-31-2004, 05:40 PM
Thanks for checking chris,ill keep looking or ill weld something up myself.

69Myway
02-10-2006, 11:50 AM
4,000 miles and going...... This is one of the coolest conversion on the car considering I have basically $0 in the mod.