PDA

View Full Version : A question about differentials.........

trapin
06-16-2006, 09:36 AM
I'm kicking around the idea of going with a big block. If that happens, the 8.2 will surely need to go. Obviously I would need to go to a 12 bolt. Can you tell me where's a good place to start looking for something like that in the event I do. Should I do a Ford 9 Inch instead? What companies do you recommend and how bullet proof should it be? The engine would be the 502/502 from GM performance parts.

Thanks....just kicking around ideas.

astroracer
06-16-2006, 09:43 AM
Hey Tony.
A good rebuild on the 8.2 would probably serve the purpose. The only way you are going to "break" it would be to (repeatedly) hook VERY hard with some super sticky slicks.
IF your car can do that THEN I would go to a nine inch. Morrison, Alston, Moser. I have used Moser a number of times with no problems.
Mark

novanutcase
06-16-2006, 11:30 AM
Yup......I say moser!:kiss:

Slow Ride
06-16-2006, 11:39 AM
I've had very good luck with my Currie 9"

ProdigyCustoms
06-16-2006, 12:00 PM
I would use a Moser 12 bolt. I like to keep the cars all GM if I can. Let me know when you are ready, we can save you some $$$$ on Moser

chicane67
06-16-2006, 04:31 PM
I'm kicking around the idea of going with a big block. If that happens, the 8.2 will surely need to go. Obviously I would need to go to a 12 bolt. Can you tell me where's a good place to start looking for something like that in the event I do. Should I do a Ford 9 Inch instead? What companies do you recommend and how bullet proof should it be? The engine would be the 502/502 from GM performance parts.

Big block and 8.2 = broken parts. Period.....

Whatever your choice, a 12bolt or a 9" will do just fine. I would stay away from both the previously noted differential builders. I have had more problems with their products over the past 18+ years than all other differential builders/product companies combined.... specifically the "M" brand alone. Out of the several thousand differentials that I have personally built, I have had to re-cut "M" brand axle shafts more than a 100 times. And the $8.00/hr, barely immigration legal staff, at the "C" brand that is assembling the differential third members..... lacks the attention to detail required for your needs.

If you want real questions answered and need a real differential...... call http://www.markwilliams.com/

Or have a private builder do the deed for probably even less $$.